Search for content in message boards

Genealogical Footprints

Genealogical Footprints

Posted: 25 Dec 2012 5:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moran/Morrow/Morin, Thibodeau, Cadotte, Faucher, Bonnah
The Moran family is found living in Clay township, St Clair county as far back as 1850, the family lived in the county for over 100 years yet finding traces of them is so difficult. How can a family live in one area for so long and make so small a footprint? They are in none of the area history books, never listed as early settlers. Very little on any of the other families this family is associated with. I just can't understand it, is it because they were French? Came from Canada, even if it is Ontario, and probably didn't read and write? (Just a guess, I could be wrong)

Re: Genealogical Footprints

Posted: 25 Dec 2012 6:16PM GMT
Just in case you aren't aware, the St. Clair County Library in Port Huron has a wonderful index of all names included in all the county's newspapers all the way back, even for events as esoteric as land transactions...

Posted: 25 Dec 2012 6:47PM GMT
I went to the library in Algonac several times to look at newspapers on microfilm only to find so many missing editions I was unable to get obituaries for deaths as recent as 1957. One problem is the name is spelled so many different ways sometimes you aren't sure that is the name you are researching. I have seen the named spelled Moran, Morran, Morrow, Moreau and an array of names in between, so I wish it was that easy. Was it because they had a accent? because they couldn't read and write? So many variations for the same name, at first I too was skeptical I saw the name in one world tree as Moran Morrow and I thought this must be a mistake? But no it was not. Thank-you though maybe once the weather breaks I will make the trip to the library at Port Huron and try again.

Posted: 25 Dec 2012 7:30PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

1940 is the last available census at this time.

You did not supply any names!!

1st names + DOB's + birthplaces are needed to search.

1850 - There are NO Moran family members in Clay township.

Facts you should know about the early census records -
All census records [1790 – 1840] prior to the 1850 census ONLY listed the head of household; whether male or female.

NO specific age was stated for any family member
NO place of birth was stated – city, state, or country
NO city, town, or village is stated – only the county; however some census takers listed the township
NO street address was stated
NO marital status was stated – single, married, widowed, or divorced
NO family relationship was stated – brother, sister, cousin, son, daughter, wife, inlaw, etc…
NO occupation was stated
NO parental birthplaces are stated
NO race was stated [but assume “white”]

1850, 1860 & 1870 census records do not show family relationships, marital status or parental birthplaces.

Step children are not enumerated as “step” children
Adopted children are not enumerated as “adopted”
Grand children are not enumerated as “grand children”
Orphaned children were not enumerated as "orphan"

1850 is the 1st census that shows all family members

1880 is the 1st census that shows parental birthplaces and family relationships +++

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 2:49PM GMT
Vicki, Using GenealogyBank.com, you will find in 1906, Henry Moran of St Clair Flats, was arrested on a train with some red headed ducks. It seems he had made several such trips. He was released pending legal action in Nov.

In 1918 Henry Moran was fined for violating the fish and game laws.

If you take some time to read the newspapers in Pt Huron library, you will find lots to make your family history rich in details.

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 3:51PM GMT
Thank you very much. What is GenealogyBank.com? A historical newspaper site? How much does it cost?

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 3:56PM GMT
Thanks for the information. I have the census records for the family, I am looking for something more. Stories and such, but I do appreciate your taking the time to respond, and I was wondering why if the family lived in the county before 1850 why aren't they mentioned in any of the local history books along with some of the other early settlers?

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 3:59PM GMT
Do you know do they have an index of names? Or is it just a matter of being lucky enough to stumble on something?

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 11:21AM GMT
Vicki,

Yes, GenealogyBank.com is a site that is ditigizing old newspapers. They add to them constantly. I had a subscription for a long time and never found anything, then they added more and I hit a gold mine.

You will want to make a day just to read through them. Select the time period you are most interested in to start with.

In my local newspaper, which is not digitized, I found that my dad broke his arm from swinging on a gate when he was just four. I read through the newspaper year by year which took a very long time. In another newspaper I found a lost relative died and the body was shipped back here for burial. That gave me the clue to go to that county and find the estate records and my goldmine find of the year.

When I cannot get to an area that I need to research, I hire someone to do it for me. I give them specific names and time ranges, tell them what I need, and then cross my fingers. I feel that it would cost me $ for gas, parking, motels, and food, so paying someone else can be a bargain.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic