Search for content in message boards

Col. George Cecil ACKLEY (b. 1895 Windsor, VT – d. 1963 Rutland, VT) Search

Col. George Cecil ACKLEY (b. 1895 Windsor, VT – d. 1963 Rutland, VT) Search

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 10:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ackley
My name is Drew Paganetti, and I’m currently in a class at the University of Connecticut that focuses on genealogy and my ancestry.
I’m currently looking for more information on my great grandfather Col George Cecil ACKLEY (b. 1895 Windsor, VT – d. 1963 Rutland, VT) – specifically about his military service. He enlisted in the military on 10 March 1914 in Rutland, Vermont, and was discharged from the military on 29 April 1919. He also served in the National Guard about 1925. What I’m looking for is some more specifics about his military service, such as where he served, what part he played during World War I, or any photos or personal documents from his service would be fantastic.
George married my great grandmother Mabel Blanche SCHRYER (b. 16 August 1895 MA – d. 12 Feb. 1985 MA) on 9 April 1917 in Rutland VT. She was born in Blandford, Hampden, MA.

I got most of my information from this site (http://www.ackleygenealogy.com/atog1/francis/b6309.htm), it may be of some help.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
- Drew Paganetti
Researching: Paganetti, Ackley, Packard, Schryer, Stack

Re: Col. George Cecil ACKLEY (b. 1895 Windsor, VT – d. 1963 Rutland, VT) Search

Posted: 9 Oct 2012 12:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
There is a book online with George Ackley's picture and information about the battles he fought in, including Chemin des Dames, Toul, and Chateau-Thierry. It even gives his nickname as "Zeke".

The book is called "History of the 101st Machine Gun Battalion" which identifies Sgt. George C. Ackley as commanding the 2d Section, First Platoon, Company C of the 101st Machine Gun Battalion. The history includes the activities he would have been involved in throughout the war and also includes his photo and a synopsis of his service on page 263 (actual page) and/or page 270 (number of scans):

http://www.scribd.com/doc/63889620/History-of-the-101st-Mach...

Examples of activities include, on page 33 (actual page) which is also page 41 (number of scans) it describes First Platoon of Company C being sent forward to Raulecourt.

On page 68 (actual page) which is also page 76 (number of scans) are quips from Company C, such as 'The old-time query,"Who put those overalls in Mrs. Murphy's chowder?" is giving place, in C company's kitchen, to the pertinent question, "Who threw that Karo syrup into the baked beans?'

The book is also full of maps and photographs.

Hope this helps.

As you probably already know, George Cecil Ackley served in the 1st Vermont Infantry as a corporal from the time he entered federal service on April 2, 1917 to August 23, 1917. After that he served as a Sgt. in the 101st Machine Gun Battalion from August 23, 1917 until his discharge at Camp Devens on April 29, 1919. This is from the "US Adjutant General Military Records 1631-1976, Roster of Vermont Men and Women in the World War" on ancestry.com.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic