Search for content in message boards

Stephens of Carter Co.

Stephens of Carter Co.

Posted: 29 Apr 2002 11:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Jul 2002 10:39AM GMT
Surnames: Stephens, Mullins, Lewis, Keaton
Hello;

Just figured I would post a query and see if anyone finds it.

I have two (brother?) named Stephen and John Stephens who were listed in the Hawkins Co., TN census of 1830 along with possibly their father James Stephens. I believe that James had two sons named John and Stephen and these two sons moved to the Carter Co., KY area before 1850. Stephen Stephens oldest child is my great great grandfather Jacob Stephens who married Mary "Polly" Lewis, daughter and only child of Stephen and Juda (Keaton) Lewis of Morgan Co., KY.

I know John married married Phoebe Runnels, but I have yet to find the 1st wife of Stephen Stephens. Stephen married a second time in 1849 in Morgan Co. to Miss Cynthia Stephens.

I was wondering if James Stephens was close kin to Gilbert (Rev. War) and Andrew who also was in the area of Carter and Morgan Counties.

Jacob and Polly's 4th child, Mary Susan married my great grandfather, the Rev. James Wesley Mullins.

Hope to here soon from someone and exchange some info.

Take Care;

JR

Re: Stephens of Carter Co.

Deb (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 2002 2:25PM GMT
Edited: 30 Apr 2002 8:28AM GMT
Surnames: STEPHENS, MCMAHAN, BLEVINS, SLONE, BARKER, RONNELS
I don't know if this will help- Carter Co. marriage records:

26 May. 1853 STEPHENS , James 22 s Carter co born Campbell co. VA Jane McMAHAN 20 s born OH

1 Jun. 1858 STEPHENS , Andrew 21 s Carter co. born Hawkins co. TN Polly Ann BLEVINS 19 s Lawrence co. KY

Carter Co. Birth records:
Carter Co., Birth records:
STEPHENS , Elizabeth f 29 Mar. 1852
Parents- Andrew STEPHENS Nancy SLONE (a first marriage for Andrew???)
STEPHENS , Stephen Carter m 21 Oct. 1852
Parents - John STEPHENS Phebe RONNELS
STEPHENS , Caroline f 17 Aug. 1854
Parents- James STEPHENS Susan BARKER
STEPHENS , William m 1 Feb. 1854
Parents- William STEPHENS Elizabeth BARKER

I'm looking for a connection to my husband's ggg?grandfather, William Stephens born about 1820 and his wife Mary Fraley.Their son, William Riley Stephens.

Posted: 1 Aug 2006 3:56AM GMT
Surnames: Ison, Stephens, Barker, Holbrook
Hi Deb

I don't know if I can help, but I am also related to the Stephens, Barkers, Fraleys and Isons of Elliott Co., Ky. My gr-gr.grandfather was James G. Stephens and he was married in 1854 to Pricy Henson in Morgan Co. She later divorced him and he married Polly Osburn. Jame's parents were Daniel and Dorcus Manis Stephens. James was originally from Hawkins County, TN. He also had a brother Steven and a brother Andrew and other siblings as well.

If any of this sounds familiar, please let me know.

JR Watson (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2006 2:33PM GMT
Surnames: Stephens
James Stephens
s/o Daniel Stephens
gs/o James Stephens

Daniel was the younger brother to my ggg grandfather, Stephen Stephens.

Ann (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2006 12:12AM GMT
Surnames: Ison, Stephens, Barker, Holbrook
Hi JR

Thank you for your reply. Do you know the birthdate of your James Stephens. Mine would be approx. 1835. I was thinking that, perhaps, his grandfather may have been Gabriel or Gilbert since his middle initial was G. This is what I'm trying to find out, who his grandparents were. His parents were Daniel and Dorcus Manis Stephens.

Thanks again

Ann

P.S. James was born in Hawkins Co., TN

JR Watson (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2006 5:28AM GMT
Surnames: Stephens
Very simple. All of Gilbert's descendents are born in KY. All of James's descendents are from VA or Hawkins Co., TN. James with sons Stephen (my ancestor) and John (who married Phoebe Runnels and raised a family in Carter Co., KY) are on the same page in 1830 Hawkins Co. In the household of James are Solomon and Daniel. In the early 1830's, James and his descendentsa moved to E. KY (Greenup, Morgan) which later became Carter and Elliott. I believe whole heartly that Gilbert and James are brothers and at the very outside, 1st cousins.

Ann (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2006 2:31PM GMT
Surnames: I
Hi JR

Thank you so much for you help. I really appreciate it.

Ann

Posted: 19 Dec 2007 3:04PM GMT
My great grandmother was Arquilla Stephens and her fathers name was Stephen Stephens. We believe her mothers name was Abigail Hale but are not sure. My greatgrandmother was born in Hunnewell Kentucky. Is it possible this is the same family of Stephens. I have very little info on my greatgrandmothers family and any info would be greatly appreciated

Posted: 19 Dec 2007 6:38PM GMT
Surnames: Ison, Stephens, Holbrook and Barker.
I have found an 1880 census on Stephen Stephens. The mother's names was Abigail, but the only daughter's name mentioned, that comes close to what you have, is Aramida, who was 3 at the time. Census workers I did find a spouse to a Stephen Stevens (sp) by the name of Mary, whose parents were Samuel Thompson and Tabitha Hale, coincidence, I don't know. This was on familyseach.org. Census workers frequently mis-spelled people's names making searching more difficult. So, your spelling could possible be accurate. I would suggest trying to find another record with that name or another census record.

If Stephen's father was George then you are following my lineage. This goes into the Hensons. Which was my great-great grandmother's name.

Try looking up Daniel Stephens. This may help too. I think he had a son named Stephen, but these are all in the Elliott, Morgan and Lawrence County areas.

Hope I didn't confuse and maybe helped.

Posted: 23 Dec 2007 3:18AM GMT
Surnames: Ison, Stephens, Holbrook and Barker.
I looked at the 1880 census again on Stephen and Abigail and happened to notice their ages. Stephen was 67 and Abigail was 30. Their children were 14, 9 and 3. That means Abigail was only 16 when her first child was born and Stephen was 53. The ages are correct, on the census, his is re-written beside the other one and all 6's are written the same. This doesn't seem like a likely match, even in those days. I am wondering if this is a 2nd marriage for Thomas.

I can't find the 1870 census for them, either. I hope someone has a likely solution.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions