Search for content in message boards

Verification of Family Civil War Story

Verification of Family Civil War Story

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 10:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kuykendall
Hello fellow Kuykendalls!

Growing up, our family was always told about the Kuykendall brothers fought for the South, one of the brothers was shot for desertion and then all the brothers and cousins went to fight for the North. We've been able to establish that this did not happen to my ancestor nor his brothers, but are thinking that it could be a cousin.

We know that some of the brothers did ultimately fight on both sides but we are seeking to identify that precipitating event.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Re: Verification of Family Civil War Story

Posted: 17 Feb 2009 10:37PM GMT

I have in my Kuykendall family history that the brother of my gg grandfather originally fought for the South but changed to the North later after seeing the beating of a slave. I don't know for sure that is the reason but both sides were supposedly shooting at him at one time. Family history said that he had to go to Mexico for awhile. My gg grandfather joined the South even though he didn't believe in slavery but respected states' right to choose.

Posted: 18 Feb 2009 8:58PM GMT
What is your ancestor's name? Mine is William Jahew Chastine Kuykendall (1845 – 1915).

He would have had brothers as follows:

Jesse Isaac Kuykendall 1825 – 1907,
Jacob Kuykendall 1827 –
Joseph H Kuykendall 1828 – 1904
Ezekiah Kuykendall 1830 – 1865
George W Kuykendall 1831 – 1914
Thomas M Kuykendall 1834 – 1925
John Allen Kuykendall 1837 – 1874
William A Kuykendall 1839 – 1919
Margaret Kuykendall 1843 – 1927

Thanks!
Terah

Posted: 18 Feb 2009 9:26PM GMT
Terah, my grandson descends from Jahew Chastine Kuykendall through his son, Harry Hobson. I would like to share information with you off the board.
Barbara Good
BWGood@aol.com

Posted: 18 Feb 2009 11:48PM GMT
I descend from Jahew Chastine Kuykendall too. I have quite a bit of information on him that I'd love to share. You can reach me at aggiejanna@hotmail.com
Janna

Posted: 19 Jun 2009 1:50AM GMT
That is my G Grandfather. That is also the story I have been told. His name was Samuel Benjamin Franklin Kuykendall. He had two or three brothers and at least two brothers-in-law that fought for the Confederacy. He drew a pension for his service in later years.

Posted: 20 Jun 2009 12:02PM GMT
Who is the father of your g-grandfather Samuel Benjamin Franklin Kuykendall?

Posted: 20 Jun 2009 2:48PM GMT
John Kuykendall and Anna Henry were the parents of Samuel Benjamin Franklin Kuykendall. They moved to Texas from Mississippi but John was born in North Carolina.

Posted: 20 Jun 2009 4:01PM GMT
When you say 'that was my G Grandfather' which story in the line of posts are you referring to? There are two, so I want to be sure that I understand you correctly. Also, do you have any additional info on Samuel Benjamin Franklin Kuykendall that you would be willing to share?

THANKS!

Posted: 20 Jun 2009 4:13PM GMT
Samuel Benjamin Franklin Kuykendall was the brother of my relative, James Houston Kuykendall. If you want to contact me directly at sgnorton@verizon.net I can help you with some information on Benjamin.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic