Search for content in message boards

Historic migration/immigration routes to St. Clair Co.

Historic migration/immigration routes to St. Clair Co.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 3:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Findeisen
Hello,
I have citizenship intent papers for a relative from Leipzig filed in St. Clair Co., April 25, 1844. I am wondering what route was common for immigrants in St. Clair County. Did many people come through Canada? or from New York?

Thanks,
Laura K.

Re: Historic migration/immigration routes to St. Clair Co.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 6:05PM GMT
In that time period, most people coming from NY, Canada or other countries traveled by water to Michigan.

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 4:12PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

My ggfather & family came from GER in the 1880's before Ellis Island opened. I suspect that the route taken to get to Huron county was by water in this way -

arrived in New York city
took a boat up the Hudson River to the Erie Canal
took the Erie Canal west to lake Erie
sailed Lake Erie to Canada & crossed over to Port Huron
Port Huron to Huron county

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 8:04PM GMT
I agree with Michael that most people traveling to St. Clair Co. in the 1840's traveled by water via the Erie Canal and the Great Lakes; however, it was possible to take a land route through Ontario (Canada West) as well. It would have been more arduous and the area sparsely settled but pioneers did travel that way by wagon, horseback and foot, and crossed the St. Clair River into Michigan by ferry or flatboat. It was also possible to travel by water through Ontario using the Thames River and the Sydenham River. The city of London, Ontario, was pretty well settled at that date and would make a good jumping off point for the wilderness between it and Michigan, now about an hour's drive by car.

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 2:02PM GMT
Surnames: Townsend, Hart
My ancestors were mostly Irish families that settled in Western New York when land became available in the 1830s, and many of them migrated to Michigan when land became available there in the 1840s - one of the big draws being the chance to establish themselves in a fledgling state and having more influence than other areas that were already settled. I've only found one reference to the actual journey, when Pauline M. Townsend Hart (my 3rd-great-grandfather's sister-in-law), who died shortly before her 102nd birthday in 1939, mentioned in a newspaper article that when she came to Michigan with her family in 1840, they took a boat from Buffalo to Detroit, and from there a covered wagon to Metamora, where her parents settled near an Indian village. She remembered this because she had very sick on the boat as a two year old
per page

Find a board about a specific topic