Search for content in message boards

Planning a trip to Port Huron....

Planning a trip to Port Huron....

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 10:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Any ideas for a trip to Port Huron. Any help would be great.

Re: Planning a trip to Port Huron....

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 1:26PM GMT
There are a lot of ideas. Some questions to help.

Why are you planning a trip? Is it for just research, or to see highlights of the city?

If for research, is there a specific name or family?

Have you done any background work on them?

Do you want to go to the courthouse? Library? Cemeteries?

Are you going to be there for more than one day so that you need to know where restaurants and motels are?

Are you on a time limit?

When do you expect to go? If it will include cemeteries, you may want to wait until close to Memorial Day because most cemeteries are muddy and the Sexton's have them cleaned up by the holiday.

The court house and library have set hours, but if you need to contact someone about locating burials, you may have to contact the townships prior to your trip.

I have done this frequently, especially when I will be some distance from home. It helps to make every precious minute count and makes for a more productive trip.

Good luck.

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 2:27PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

1940 is the last available census at this time.

WHO are you researching??
Need 1st name + last name + DOB + birthplace.
Need same info for all family members - wife + children.

TRY - Find a grave – FREE SITE - volunteer site all states; frequently has headstone pic

DO NOT SEARCH FOR A MARRIED WOMAN USING HER MAIDEN NAME.

http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/

Try Vital Records – Birth, Marriage, & Death, Social Security Info., Census Records – FREE ALL STATES
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 6:34PM GMT
Answers to your questions... :)

Why are you planning a trip? My husband & I are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary, I've always wanted to go to Port Huron because that is where my great grandfather was born, and hubby has agreed to this :)

Is it for just research, or to see highlights of the city? both

If for research, is there a specific name or family? Vincent, James

Have you done any background work on them? Yes and everything leads back to Port Huron, but I'm stuck there.

Do you want to go to the courthouse? Library? Cemeteries? Yes, yes, yes

Are you going to be there for more than one day so that you need to know where restaurants and motels are? two days, we have a hotel picked out already

Are you on a time limit? Sorta Friday all day, and part of Saturday - coming home Sunday morning

When do you expect to go? March 22-24

Posted: 7 Mar 2013 12:10PM GMT
Sherry,

Congratulations!

With the hours you have available, if your ancestor owned property, the Register of Deeds office would be the place to start. The deed would give place of residence which hopefully would be where he came from.

The library there has a very good index file of newspapers. You may also want to just go through the newspapers covering the time period you are interested in.

The library may also have family files available. You may want to have a Family Group Sheet made out to leave there with your contact information.

There used to be a good restaurant on top of the bank building on the river. We haven't been in several years, but the food and the VIEW were wonderful.

Posted: 14 Mar 2013 6:35PM GMT
Thank you very much. Hubby & I plan on visiting the museum there sometime Saturday after noon. My main focus will be at the library I think, maybe go to the courthouse to do some research & find some birth records. I don't know what help the Register of Deeds will be, what kind of information will I find on that. Also, hoping to make it to one cemetery at least.

Thanks for the information on the restaurant. :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic