Search for content in message boards

Daniel Hart (1778-1815) b. Cumberland County

Daniel Hart (1778-1815) b. Cumberland County

Posted: 18 Mar 2007 1:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HART
Hello all

My name is Regina Hart, and I am researching the history of my family. I am specifically interested in learning more about the following people, and I would appreciate any information that you might have:

Daniel Hart (b. 1778 Cumberland County, d. 11 Aug 1815 Sacketts Harbor, Livingston County, NY)
Sarah (Daniel Hart's wife, surname unknown)

Daniel Hart settled in Beaver County, Pennsylvania sometime before September 1799. He married Sarah sometime after 1802, and they had four children that I know about: John (1803-1853), Margaret (1806-1886), Richmond (1813-1870), and George W. (1814-?) all of whom were born in Beaver County.

I have been unable to find out anything about Daniel's parents or any siblings that he might have had. If you are interested, I would be happy to send you information that I have about Daniel's descendants, including my Gedcom file.

Best wishes,
Regina Hart

Re: Daniel Hart (1778-1815) b. Cumberland County

Posted: 16 Feb 2010 6:22AM GMT
I am very interested in your research on Daniel HART. I noticed that your source information for 90-118 does not show up when I select them. Other than that your work must be complimented. Very nice!!

My focus at this time is John Hart of First Moon, Beaver, PA. Based on "Birds of a feature flock together," the 1810 census, his children might include Daniel, Elijah, James, Mitchel, another son and a daughter. These individuals surround an older man named John Hart whom I believe must be the father. I am descended from James Hart.

So......John Hart's Family probably looks like this if we're are lucky:

Mitchel HART b 17 Jul 1773
Margaret HART b Jan 1775
Richmond HART b abt 1777
Daniel HART b 1778 d 11 Aug 1815
James HART b abt 1780
Elijah HART b 28 Feb 1782 d 16 May 1874
Son HART
Daughter HART

Posted: 24 Feb 2010 1:23AM GMT
Surnames: Hart
Hi

Sorry for the delay in responding; it's been a crazy few weeks. It sounds as though we may share an ancestor in John Hart (my 4th great grandfather) and his father Daniel (my 5th great grandfather). Which of John Hart's children is your direct ancestor? As you can see from my tree, I fall in the John William Hart x 3 line! They certainly were conservative with names. : D

I've done quite a bit of reading and hunting, and I'm happy to share everything that I have with you. I'd love to learn more about Daniel myself and to learn more about his parents and when his ancestors came to the US (and from where). I'm also interested in his experiences here in the earliest days of Beaver County (where I still reside).

It seems that there should be some sort of connection to John Hart who signed the Declaration of Independence as one of his sons settled in this same area, but I have been unable to establish the link.

I have a lot of 'puzzle pieces' to assemble, and I haven't taken the time to sit down to do so properly. I'll gladly send you a zip file containing all of my primary sources including scans of materials from the Beaver County Genealogy Center. I am unable to upload a zip file via this interface, but you can contact me directly at ReginaHart (at) gmail (dot) com, and I'll send them to you from there.

Cheers,
Gina

Posted: 24 Feb 2010 2:42AM GMT
Gina,
I noticed that we had a conversation three years ago. The HART family has been a real challenge because there are so many of them. Here is how I stack up with regard to Beaver Co. PA. My ggggrandmother Ann HART married David TEETERS 1827 in Stark Co. OH. For years that is as far as I have gotten back in the HART history. About a year ago I started grouping HARTS according to geography because the vital information just didn't seem to exist. These HARTS don't mention their parents or other family members. So it all started in Stark Co. OH with a James HART who I suspected to be Ann's father. Also living next door in Sugar Creek Twp was a Daniel HART and an Elijah HART. I discovered a Sarah HART through marriage records to a George E. Nelson also living in the same vicinity. James HART my gggggrandfather was also taking care of two older 80 year old individuals (male and female) at his residence. n thought these folks must be his parents. I still don't know. This family structure was all laid out using the 1830 US Census of Sugar Creek, Stark, OH.

1820 has been a challenge and it still is. I have found nothing about James HART but he resurfaces in 1810 in First Moon Twp, Beaver, PA. His wife is alive. She would have died before the family reached Stark Co. OH. I don't know her name. Beside the parents there were also two little girls under ten and two young boys. This all matches up with my HART family in Stark Co.

So.....who are these other HARTS. Having always believed in "Birds of a feather fly together," I surmised that they were family. The oldest one was John HART and then there were other individuals who could have been James brothers. I estimated that John HART was probably born in 1750-60; James about 1780, Daniel 1778, Mitchel 1773?, Elijah 1782 plus two sisters. Of course I am not sure if this structure is correct but it has given me a plan to go by.

I have noticed in 1800 HARTS in Allegheny Co. just to the south. They were probably using the Allegheny Trail with stops along the way in Somerset Co., Bedford Co. from an eastern county, Cumberland. This is as far as I have gotten back. Yes....I have read a lot about John HART. One of my students at school talked about him a lot because he was tied into the HARTS. And then there are the family stories mentioning marriage with native Americans and the dreaded hereditary disease retinitis pigmentosa that has ravaged my family since the 1700's to the present.

I would appreciate anything that you can throw at me. Perhaps you have data that will send me along on another journey of discovery. Your GEDCOM would be nice. The zip file on your sources and documents would be a pleasure for sure.

So what do you think? Do we have a match? rpeters

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 4:47AM GMT
Surnames: Porter, Powell
My family, too, has RP, and the woman I have traced it to was born in Beaver Co., PA in 1830/31. I know nothing of her parents or siblings, but she has about 22 effected descendants, including my brother. Before I go through all of it, is your type X-linked? If not, we can't be connected. She was Nancy Porter married to William Powell( a pox on both their houses for having such common names).

Carol

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 6:33AM GMT
My family is X-linked. So many of my relatives have been effected by RP and my opthamologist wants to see a breakdown on my family history. Have you traced through the HART family?

Posted: 14 Nov 2010 8:50PM GMT
My ancestor was born Nancy Porter ( according to a marriage record of one of her children), and she married a William Powell. She divorced this Powell in about 1860 ( no divorce records found yet), and later married again -1884, I think, without checking my papers- to a William Norkan. SHe is buried in the Grove Cemetery in New Brighton, Beaver, PA, near her daughter ( Margaret Powell Sayre, Mrs. Isaac) and other Sayres, as Nancy Norkan. She had a son known as Blind Billy Powell, who I have not traced,and 7 other children, one my g-g gma Hulda and her sister Mary Elizabeth, who both passed down the gene. Margaret doesn't seem to have done so, and the others I can find nothing on as of yet. So, I have no known Hart connection, but only because I have no idea if Nancy's mother was a Hart or Hart descendant.
One hint: Nancy and WIlliam are in the 1850 census of Beaver County ( I think Economy township) next dooe to a Edward Porter and family, also a William Porter, born in Ireland, of an age to be his father and maybe Nancy's father ,too. 1840 census records there include a William Porter and children of ages that could include these two, but no female the right age to be a spouse, probably already widowed. I could look around for Harts- do you know any other names that might help me?

Carol

Posted: 12 Jan 2012 12:26PM GMT
I think that James Hart (1780) is the father of Sarah "Sally" who married George E Nelson
Daniel (my ancestor) who married Nancy Agnes Nelson
Susannah who married Joseph Nelson
All of the Nelson spouses are the children of Patrick Nelson and Jane McMillan.

Posted: 12 Jan 2012 7:44PM GMT
I agree with you completely. Daniel HART was the son of James HART and Daniel's sister, Ann TEETERS nee HART is my ancestral line. The four children of James HART are all on the first page of the 1830 census of Sugar Creek, Stark, OH. Daniel's other brother is Elijah HART b 1806.

Posted: 12 Jan 2012 8:47PM GMT
I have children of Daniel and Nancy as Elijah, James Buchanan, Daniel (mine), John, Joanna, David, Susan, George Washington Hart, and Silas H Hart.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions