Search for content in message boards

albemarle county lookups at courthouse

albemarle county lookups at courthouse

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 7:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
I visit. the CH at least once aweek and am willing to do lookups. I can search deed, marriage , will, and other records. There are several land survey books dating back to the 1740's. I am working on a project plotting all the original land owners in what is NOW albemarle county. , although I have a lot of Fluvanna land. owners . Let me know if I can do. any research .
Ken

Re: albemarle county lookups at courthouse

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 1:39PM GMT
Edited: 17 Dec 2012 1:39PM GMT
Very nice of you to offer, but as far as the deeds, are you talking about original land grants? If so, it has been done and I have files for Google Earth which allows you to advance the slider for different years. If you wish to contact me privately, we can exchange information.

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 6:53PM GMT
Thanks for the quick reply. The deeds I refered to are the deeds where one person sells to another, and not the original grants, where the government is granting land. I don't have a computer, so I can't use the Google earth file you mentioned.
Are you in Albemarle county at all? I find it interesting that adjoining land grants can have (and quite often) slightly different metes and bounds. I guess it depended on how accurate the surveyor wanted to be, and realizing it is hard to accurately measure distances when there are trees,waterways, and other obstacles in the way. i have seen up to 5 degrees variance in plotted lines, and up to 10-15 poles difference in length.

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 8:30PM GMT
Edited: 18 Dec 2012 8:32PM GMT
I was born and raised in Charlottesville. Pretty much know my way around the Albemarle, Louisa, Fluvanna and Augusta County areas.

As to deeds. I suspect magnetic variation plays a large part in varying line directions and yes dragging chains through woods and meandering streams, rivers and creeks plays a part as well. 5 degrees and 10 to 15 poles is not a lot considering what they were working with and the fact that the land may have been modified since the last survey.

Just curious, but how are you doing these surveys without the aid of a computer? Seems you will require a very large piece of paper to complete your work. What area are you starting with and what time frame?

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 5:12AM GMT
If you can find anything on Samuel Campbell I would appreciate it. All I know is he lived in the vicinity while working as a stonemason on Monticello and UVA. His wife was Ann Bonsall from PA and I think their son John M. Campbell b.1824 was born in Abemarle Co.

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 9:29PM GMT
I went to the CH today and was able to find a few things. On July 12 1827 he signed a deed of trust to Daniel Moseley due to the fact he owed money to a number of people including his brother James. The colateral was farm equipment and household items. In 1836 he purchased 12 acres from Michael Woods , sheriff . On July. 22 1844, he sold the same land to Benjamin Sneed. The land was located on the headwaters of Henderson creek, andlocated near Monticello, in St. Annes parish. Samuel also purchased land (90 acres) in Fredericksville parish . This land. was located adjacent to Martin Mooney, Garland and Peter Carr. Mooney. owned land on the south side of the south branch of the north fork of the James river. The north fork is now known as the Rivanna river. Samuel sold the land in 1845 to Samuel Burnley. On Dec 30 1831 John. M. Perry loaned household furnishings to Ann Campbell, wife of Samuel, now in Fluvanna. Samuel wrote his will Aug 28 1848, and it was probated. Nov 11 1848. In the will he names his wife Ann, and mentions his youngest child as not of age, but did not name him. No other children are named. Hope. this helps you.
Ken

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 1:20PM GMT
Edited: 5 Feb 2013 8:44PM GMT
Surnames: carroll, carrell, naylor
Ken, I would love to find anything, regarding Lewis Carroll/Carrell born abt 1771 and his wife Elizabeth Naylor born abt 1775. They were married 1795. They are in the 1810 Albemarle census, but moved on to Sullivan Co., Tn before 1812. There are 2 William Carrels/Carrols and Elizabeth Carrell/Carrol listed near Lewis(hopefully related). Thank you for any research.

Posted: 15 Feb 2013 4:44AM GMT
Thank you Ken I didn't get a notice about this or I would have thanked you earlier. This information is so interesting and so helpful.
Thanks Paula

Posted: 25 Feb 2013 2:27PM GMT
Sorry it took so long to reply. I checked the marriage registers, and found the following:
John CARREL md Sarah JOPLING 1785
Lewis CARREL md Elizabeth NAYLOR Jan 5 1795 (Daniel Carrel witness)
Milley CARROLL (spinster) md Richard MOOREY 1788 (Daniel Carroll witness)
Lucy CARRELL md John GOODRIDGE 1798
Jesse CARRELL md Elizabeth FITZ 1801
Mary CARROLL md Ephraim KNIGHT 1798 (David Carroll witness)
William CARRELL md Nancy PERRY Sept 18 1804 (Lewis Carrell witness)
James CARROLL md Patsy HARLOW May 15 1810 (license)
Sally CARRELL md James WEST Oct 16 1815 (license)
Henry CARRELL md Martha CARRELL Nov 2 1818 (license)
I included all the marriages in case they were brothers and sisters.

DEEDS, etc.
Lewis Carroll to Martin Dawson deed of trust DB 15/152
Lewis owes Brown and Rives (merchants and partners in the town of Milton) 45 pounds, 19 shillings, and 4 pence. Lewis put up farm animals and household furniture as security.

I have quite a bit more on other Carrolls in Albemarle from 1748 to 1803 regarding land. I checked will records and found several listings, but nothing mentioning Lewis. I can send the rest of the info if you like.

As far as William goes, a William Carroll sold 180 aces of land to his mother Susannah Carroll in 1759 (a Stewart Carroll signs as witness). On May 20 1785 Susannah sells the same land to her grandson Thomas Carroll, who in turn sells the land on June 14 1785 to Charles Liburn Lewis. This land was located on the north side of the Rivanna adjacent to the above mentioned Charles Lewis.
Sussannah's will in 1788 mentions her daughter Sally Dawson (wife of John), and witnesses were Daniel and Rebecca Carrel.

Ken

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 1:54AM GMT
Thank you-Thank you! I now believe that William and Milly Carroll are siblings to my Lewis. Daniel Carroll may be a sibling as well or maybe an uncle. Your research will help me to follow up on additional leads. I cannot Thank you enough for your help. Viann/Nashville, Tn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions