Search for content in message boards

Cherpak, Hamilla, Yarosik, Molchan

Cherpak, Hamilla, Yarosik, Molchan

Posted: 29 Apr 2007 1:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cherpak, Hamilla, Yarosik, Molchan
Looking for information on the surnames listed above. My Grandfather came to the U.S. around 1900 to Star Junction, PA, Nicholas Cherpak and married Catherine Yarosik. There is a connection between the Hamilla's from Perry, Fayette, PA who had a farm. I believe Julia Yarosik who married John Hamilla, was a neice of my grandmother Catherine Yarosik Cherpak. I do not have Julia's father's first name. I believe he would have been my Grandmother's brother. Nicholas and Catherine were born in slovakia around 1882 / 1890 respectfully. Anna Yarosik, my grandmother's sister married Nicholas Molchan births 1877/1883. Nicholas and Catherine Cherpak moved to New Britain, CT around 1916.

Re: Cherpak, Hamilla, Yarosik, Molchan

Posted: 7 May 2007 3:15AM GMT
gk91646

Do you have a place of birth?
Cherpak in English, CSERPAK in Hungarian and C^ERPAK in Slovak.
YAROSIK in English, JAROS^IK in Slovak.
Molchan in English, MOLCSAN in Hungarian, MOLC^AN in Slovak. www.zoznamst.sk SK's phone book is listing
An ALL site for research in SK: www.iabsi.com/gen/public

Posted: 7 May 2007 2:03PM GMT
In 1901 Miklos (Hungarian form of Nicholas) Cserpak, age 18, immigrated from Toriszka in Szepes county. This village is now Torysky, Slovakia. His destination was Bridgeport CT. There were about 30 people by this name in the Ellis Island records and half of them came from Toriszka. Another couple of them came from nearby Löcse, now Levoca. An alternative Hungarian name for this village was Tarczafő. Miklos was single.

In 1908 he or another by the same name, now listed as age 27, again came from Toriszka with the destination of his brother-in-law Hamilla in Star Junction PA. This time he was married, but he left his wife "Kata" in Toriszka/Tarczafő. He can be found under the (mis)spelling Mikus Cserpak.

In 1912 "Katusa" Cserpak and her son, Janos, joined her husband Miklos in Star Junction. She left her mother, Maria Tarosni(?), in Toriszka.

Finally, a Peter Hamilla, born about 1884, immigrated from Toriszka to Passaic NJ in 1901.

There are microfilms of the Greek Catholic church records for this village available through LDS, 1761-1947. It appears that Cserpak was a common name in this village, and there may well have been more than one Miklos. You will need to take care to distinguish them if this is the case. Also keep in mind that people moved around and their initial destination in the U.S. may not have been where they settled down. Ages can also not be accurate in any of these records. Only by locating baptismal records can one be certain of a date of birth.

Janet

Posted: 2 Dec 2007 5:20PM GMT
Surnames: Cherpak, Hamilla
Hi: I have the names Cherpak and Hamilla in my background and would like to make some connections. My maternal grandmother was Catherine Cherpak ( born Babey) in Starr Junction Penn. in 1900. She married my grandfather, Steve Cherpak in 1918 in Bridgeport Ct. Her mother's maiden name was Catherine Hamilla born in Slovakia. My grandfathers brother, George Cherpak brought his siblings to New Britain Ct in the early 1900's. That's all I know. Would appreciate more info.

Posted: 2 Dec 2007 7:59PM GMT
Surnames: Cherpak Hamilla, Yarosik, Molchan
I was in contact with your sister Janet Lemond and we had given each other information that we had in regards to the Cherpak Family. Your grandfather Steve and my grandfather Nicholas are brothers. There is a Church Website in New Britain that has a lot of information and also has all the births and deaths listed in there monthly newsletter from January through December. This is the website that is very interesting. http://www.htocnb.org/

Gail Cherpak Krause

Re: Cherpak, Hamilla (Havrilla) Babey

Posted: 2 Dec 2007 8:04PM GMT
Elaine

An ALL site for research in SK: www.iabsi.com/gen/public
You need to locate a precise place of birth among the US documents.
Take a look in Ellis Island website, maybe you might find them. www.ellisislandrecords.org
www.tccweb.org
www.cisarik.com
www.c-rs.org
www.pavlovics.com
www.helenezx.homestead.com Slovak Pride Index
BABEJ (the English Y is a J sound)
In SK's phone book: C^ERPAK (Cherpak would be English), HAVRILLA ( no HAMILLA) and BABEJ.
www.zoznamst.sk
Looking at CSERPAKs manifest, I would say that the village Toriszka (Torysky) might be an ancestral village.

Posted: 5 Dec 2007 1:03AM GMT
Surnames: Hamilla, Yarosic, Buchina
My husband's father still owns that farm in Perry Township, Fayette County. My husband's grandfather was John Hamilla who was married to Julia Buchina. John's mother was Marina "Mary" Yarosic who married Pedro "Peter" Hamilla. Marina's mother was Marie Galajda who was evidently married to a Yarosic but I don't have any info on him. Marie was born in 1859 in Toryska, Spisca, Czechoslovakia.
I'm fairly new to this genealogy stuff and would be interested in sharing info.

Posted: 5 Dec 2007 1:32AM GMT
CORRECTION - Marie Galajda was born 15 Oct 1866 and died 22 Mar 1938. I found a note that states she was married to Stephanus Yarosik but I have not to back that up.

Posted: 5 Dec 2007 2:07AM GMT
Surnames: Cherpak,Hamilla, Yarosik, Galajda
My cousin Donald who passed away in 2003 remembers visiting Grandma's Katherines' sisters Aunt Martha and Mary who lived on a farm. Mary use to make moonshine which they used for bartering. Aunt Martha Yarosik worked as a domestic for a wealthy family. Aunt Martha Yarosik was on the strict side. At 10 years old Don got to drive a tractor on the farm which was kind of exciting. Looks like we have some connection going.

I think my grandmother Katherine had 3 sisters, Mary, Martha, and Anna and a brother but I don't know what his name would be.

Posted: 5 Dec 2007 2:09AM GMT
I also have in my family tree that Maria Galajda was married to Stephanus Yarosik
per page

Find a board about a specific topic