Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker 2010 will not load

Family Tree Maker 2010 will not load

Posted: 30 Jan 2010 8:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wayne
I cannot get Family Tree Maker 2010 to load on my computer.
I have Windows XP and am running SP3 and Explorer 8.0. I a also have McAfee installed.

Re: Family Tree Maker 2010 will not load

Posted: 30 Jan 2010 10:36PM GMT
any error messages when you try? Have you tried turning McAfee off when you install?

Posted: 31 Jan 2010 10:39AM GMT
lwswett,

When you use the word "load", does that mean Install? or is it installed and the program won't open up?

McAfee does not normally impact the installation or opening of the program.

Are you seeing any Error Messages? If so, what are they.

Thank you,

Russ

Posted: 31 Jan 2010 1:30PM GMT
I disabled McAfee and reloaded program. When you attempt to launch I get the following message.

" FTM 2010 has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 11:42AM GMT
lwswett,

Because we are trying to help you resolve a problem, we need to be clear.

When you say "load" or "reloaded", do you mean Install?

Did the Installation present you with any error Messages? At the end of the Installation, the program would have opened. Did it do that?

How are you trying to "launch" the program? From an ICON on your Desktop?

If that is the case, did you try using the Start menu, Programs, Family Tree Maker, then selecting Family Tree Maker?

Russ

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 12:48PM GMT
Sorry for the confusion. The program is loaded however it will not launch. I get a message that an error has occured.
When I originally installed this program it worked fine. Later I had a virus in my computer. We cleaned it up and restored the data base to a date earlier that the date I originally installed Family Tree Maker 2010. I have Uninstalled the program several times and re installed with McAfee turned off. I still cannot get the program to launch, I continue to get the message " an error has occured and must shut down".

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 2:02PM GMT
lwswett,

Please Uninstall Family Tree Maker, then Reinstall it.

McAfee is not an issue with Family Tree Maker.

When you Install Family Tree Maker this time, does it open correctly at the end of the installation?

Russ

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 3:12PM GMT
No it does not. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and it will not launch.

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 7:44PM GMT
lwsett,

Since we are trying to trouble shoot a problem, it helps when you are able to provide some details.

What I am trying to determine, is Does the program Start at the end of the Installation process? It should.

When you say "will not launch", I have to Guess that it will not Open, when you click on an ICON on your Desktop / Computer.

Are you seeing ANY Error Messages or Warnings?

Please go to the new Knowlege Base website at

http://ancestry.custhelp.com/

and enter 4848 in the Search Support box on that page. This is to Manually Uninstall Family Tree Maker.

Then, read Article 4953 to Install.

Please don't forget, that IF you are using Windows Vista or Windows7, that you need to do the installation using the Run As Administrator feature of Windows.

Russ

Hope that helps,

Posted: 3 Feb 2010 8:16PM GMT
What you might try, depending on how comfortable you feel with working with the windows registry is to uninstall family Tree Maker and the run Regedit and do a find on family tree to see if it left anything their. If so delete and try find again till all gone. Then try reinstalling. Using find or Find next am surprised to see how may enteries their are tied to Ftm.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic