Search for content in message boards

Creel in Manasses Virginia

Creel in Manasses Virginia

Posted: 2 Jun 2008 6:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Creel
I was born to an S. Creel in Manasses, Va in Feb of 1968. I was placed in adoption soon there after. I am trying to trace my lineage and determine if I have any Civil war period ancestors.

Re: Creel in Manasses Virginia

Posted: 16 Jun 2008 3:50AM GMT
Creels have been in that area since the latter half of the 1600s and all of the eligible Creel males served in CSA units during the Civil War.
Without knowing your specific lineage it cannot be stated which were related most directly to you.
One example though is Matthew Nathan Creel, who died near Manassas in the Battle of Brawner's Farm, the opening clash of Second Manassas(Second Bull Run to Northerners). He was serving with the 52nd VA Inf, CSA, and was among 18 killed and wounded by a single artillery shell exploding in their midst while they were forming for battle.
My own line of Creels had left that area about a century earlier and were in Arkansas during the Civil War.
If you can get your line back to before 1930 I can likely give you the rest of your line back into the 1600s.

Posted: 15 Dec 2008 9:38PM GMT
Surnames: Creel, Sinclair, Manuel, Tavener,Moffet
I was born a Creel in Warrenton, VA. There were lots of Creels that fought in the Civil War from VA. and other states. Shouldn't be that hard to trace a connection. Feel free to e-mail me. I have a brother living in Leesburg at the present time so there are options.
cccreel@verizon.net

Posted: 30 Apr 2009 8:07PM GMT
This is capnjack68, I had to chg accounts, but I did locate my birth mother, and have started to trace my roots. After having been working at this for a day now (I just did get the info) I have found that my great great grandfather, and his brother, both served in the infantry. James W and Matthew Nathan were their names, and I believe a cousin, Benjamin F was as well.

Posted: 30 Apr 2009 8:12PM GMT
This is capnjack68, I had to chg accounts. The Matthew Nathan you described is my great great uncle, and James W was my G G Grandfather. I located my birth mother yesterday, and have been tearing up the site doing research. I would love any and all info you have on this line of the family. I have been in contact with Dan Creel, from Group of Creels, at yahoo groups, and once I gave him a name, he filled in alot which I have verified thru Ancestry.Com. How do I go about finding actual CSA records to validate enlistment, POW status, etc? I am new to this, but hugely excited.

Posted: 30 Apr 2009 9:32PM GMT
I visited Virginia many years back and went to the Bull Run National Park near Manassas. In the Visitor Center there I found a history of the 52nd Va Inf, CSA, which is the source of much of what I provided you earlier on Matthew Nathan Creel. There were also many other history books of the units that fought there. You might start there, other battlefields, or on the Internet, which also has a lot of unit histories. Just type in like "52nd Virginia Infantry, CSA" and see what pops up.

Posted: 30 Apr 2009 9:44PM GMT
Benjamin Franklin Creel, 30 Aug 1837 to 3 Jul 1916, Madison Co., VA. I have him calculated as a half 2nd cousin once removed of Matthew Nathan Creel.
Civil War - Served in Co K, 2nd VA Cav, CSA.
2nd Cavalry Regiment completed its organization at Lynchburg, Virginia, in May, 1861. Its companies were recruited in the counties of Bedford, Campbell, Botetourt, Amherst, Franklin, Appomattox, and ALBEMARLE. Until the end of October the unit was called the 30th Regiment Virginia Volunteers. During the war it was brigaded under Generals B.H. Robertson, F. Lee, Wickham, and Munford. The 2nd Cavalry saw action at First Manassas, in Jackson's Valley Campaign, and at Groveton Heights, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Kelly's Ford, Chancellorsville, Brandy Station, Aldie, Upperville, Gettysburg, and Shepherdstown. After the Bristoe and Mine Run campaigns, it was involved at The Wilderness, Todd's Tavern, Spotsylvania, Haw's Shop, and Cold Harbor. It fought in the Shenandoah Valley with Early and later in numerous conflicts around Petersburg and Appomattox. The regiment contained 676 men in July, 1861, lost twenty-eight percent of the 163 engaged at Groveton Heights, and of the 385 at Gettysburg about four percent were disabled. At Appomattox it cut through the Federal lines and disbanded at Lynchburg on April 10, 1865. However, 19 men were included in the surrender. The field officers were Colonels Thomas T. Munford and Richard C.W. Radford, Lieutenant Colonels Cary Breckinridge and James W. Watts, and Major William F. Graves.

Posted: 30 Apr 2009 9:59PM GMT
Benjamin had a brother, James Cornelius Creel, 26 Oct 1843 Albemarle Co., VA, to 13 Jun 1864, near Charlottesville, VA, killed in skirmishing Federals under Hunter. He was a Private in Capt. Carrington's Co, VA Light Art, CSA.

Posted: 23 May 2009 7:05AM GMT
My Grandmother was Sandra Creel. She has lived in the Maryland/Virginia area all of her life until recently. Let me know if you have any other information.

Posted: 13 May 2014 7:26AM GMT
Dear Sir,
I am the son of James Lowell Creel, who was born near Birmingham, Ala. in 1917. He died in 1995 and I am his only son. I did not realize how much posterity I had regarding the Civil War (and even the Revolutionary War--his name was John Creal (Creel). After him, the family stayed with the Creel spelling. I have a 3 volume paperbound book on the Creel family, which was given to my father in 1982 (or near that date). If you like to call me or e-mail me regarding any of this, I would be happy to talk to you. Four years ago I joined the SCV (Sons of Confederate Veterans). I live in Salt Lake City, Utah, and we are a small group here. I have only been involved in this activity since about 2009. I don't know a lot, but I know some things. Dan Creel is a cousin of mine, but I have never met him. My phone no. is (801)277-5355. My e-mail is williamjcreel36@gmail.com. My e-mail is named after an ancestor who fought in the 36th Alabama Infantry, Company H. Richard Creel
per page

Find a board about a specific topic