Search for content in message boards

harmon cole & catherine minkler

harmon cole & catherine minkler

Posted: 14 May 2005 4:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
does anyone have any information on a harmon cole & catherine minkler from cherry valley/roseboom , new york ,otsego county. i'm looking specifically for their children's names... i know one was a Josias, possibly a john and Henry? Henry would have been born 1816-1818. thnak you. lldriver@earthlink.net

Re: harmon cole & catherine minkler

Posted: 21 Sep 2005 5:24AM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2005 5:27AM GMT
Surnames: Cole, Minkler, Osterhout, Hibbits, Walker, VanGeystel
Yes, I have a family memoir book that provides me with information on Harmanus (Harmon, Herman) Cole and Catharine Minkler.

Harmon was born Nov. 30, 1781 in Germantown, NY.
He married Catharine Minkler when he was 27, roughly 1809.

They had: Jacob Williams. b. Sept. 17, 1809 in Germantown.;
David. b. Dec. 20, 1810; and Josias (Jesias}. b. January 10, 1813 in Lawyersville, NY

Harmon was the brother of my 3rd great grandfather William Cole.
Their mother was also a Minkler.

Holland, NY, MI, WA my direct line.
Clarice Cole Wilson

Lori Driver (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2005 12:58PM GMT
Surnames: Cole
Clarice- Thank you so much for responding ! Does your book/bible have any mention of a Henry Cole and John COle born to Catherine Minkler & Harmanous Cole ? I found a record - from Reformed Dutch Church that says they moved about 1819 to as church in Cherry Valley, Ny Otsego Co from reformed Dutch Church in Sharon..( which is next county over ) .and in Feb 1820 they had two boys baptized a John & a Henry. Now I'm trying to link up this family...hoping this Henry Cole is my G grandfather X5 ..and he is son of Catherine & Harmon. ??? Any ideas or thoughts? If you like I can send you the record > my emial: lldriver@earthlink.net.... have any ideas where the children located ? Thanks so much !

Clarice Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2005 5:04PM GMT
Surnames: Cole, Minkler, Osterhout, Walker, Hibbits
Hi Lori,

This book is very fragile but this is some of the information from it.

Next to Harmons name is a note that said he resides in Cherry Valley....also one of the sisters Margaret (Peggy nicknamed) Cole-Hauk-Sissa(?w or u or i or n or m) lived in Cherry Valley. The other brothers lived in Webster (William)< John I in Penfield, David in Richmondville, Peter in Lawyersville, Jacob and Tunis I don't have a location...for now. and their sister Eve Cole married an Osterhout.

I will have to continue searching for you. Can you give me appoximate time frame for each of these folks. It is clear we are distantly related. Are you aware of the Canadian connection to some of the Cole members? My GGGF lived in Canada for a short time where at least one of his kids were born. I suspect a gf lived there...possibly a torry who fled there. I think the family often visited there.

I also have very old letters (very early 1800) that have all kinds of information in them.

Give some more on Henry and John and I will search more. Only have the 3 children listed in the register.

I work at Seattle Public Library and can sometimes check out sources.
Clarice

Posted: 21 Sep 2005 5:45PM GMT
Lori...here is a little more information:
In the book 'Minklers to America" by William Ward Miller

Harmon and Catherine

Children are: Jacob Williams Cole, b. 17 Sept 1809, Germantown, N..; bap. 22 Oct. 1809 in the German Ref. Ch., in New Rhinebeck, Cobleskill, Schohari Co., Ny., Wits. Jacob S. Cole & Eve Minkler (bap. also given as St. John's Evan. Lutheran ch., Manortown, Columbia co., NY) (Vosburgh Vol. 7, p. 41)

David Cole, b. Dec 20. 1810; bap. 5 May 1811, New Rhinebeck, Schohari co., NY

Josias (Jesias) Cole, b. 10 Jan. 1813; bap. June 26 1813 , New Rhinebeck, NY in the same ch. as Jacob Williams.

Jacob S. Cole and Eve Minkler are Harmons parents.

Also in Minklers Book:

#133 p. 20; Harmanus (Herman) Cole, b. 30 Nov. 1781, bap. 1 Dec. 1781. b in Germantown, NY; bap. in Linlithgo Reformed church, Livingston, Columbia co., NY; Sponsors: Harmanus Minkler and Anna Cole. He was m. by 1809 to Catharine Minkler. Herman and Catharine joined the German Reformed Ch. in New Rhinebveck, Cobleskill, Schohari co., NY 22 Oct. 1809 and also received on certificatre. TRyhey joined the Union Reformed Dutch ch. of Cobleskill 1827-2855. Catharine Cole mentioned the will of John Shear of Hillsdale, Columbia co., NY, who also mentions Eve Shears, mother of Betsy Gorsline, wife of Peter Minkler (see No. 142 p. 26). Will probated 6 June 1821 ( Barber: Abstract of Wills, Greene co, Ny p. 43). For children see pg. 45.

Went there see prev. email. however the corresponding # are# 239 for Jacob
# 240 for David
# 241 for Josias. Now you also have source information.

Clarice

Posted: 30 May 2010 8:42PM GMT
Hi Clarice. I happened upon your comments accidently. Would you comment please on David Cole--

My David Cole b: 1813 - 1818 Cherry Valley Otsego NY

Married Charlott White (b: 1832 NY) 13 Dec 1852 Luzerne Co PA

David d: 16 Dec 1862 Falls Wyoming Co PA.

His 1813 birth date is from 1860 US Census. His 1818 is from an entry on FamlySearch (Mormon) records.

Peter Cole [b.1804 Canada] wife Polly {b: 1803 NY] are in Luzerne Co census 1850+. Could this be your Canadian connenction?

My email jcole703@yahoo.com. Thanks. Joyce

Posted: 31 May 2010 1:44PM GMT
Have you been able to find a death record or anything relating this David to Harmon and Catherine Cole ? Have you found a burial place ?

Tanks
Lori

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 12:02AM GMT
Clarice-

I have finaly found the burials of William Cole and quite a few of the children. They are Webster Rural Cemetery, in Webster, NY. Have posted for pics on FAG, so hopefully will get some pics over the summer.

Lori Driver
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions