Search for content in message boards

Bill Barber c1891 Photo

Bill Barber c1891 Photo

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 2:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a photo of a Donald Gibson (great grandfather) with a Bill Barber taken at a photo studio in Toronto. It is hard to tell when the photo was taken. They are not children but maybe 18-22 years old and was taken before 1918 as that is the year Donald was killed. He was 27.
Donald grew up in Toronto living on MacMillan Avenue as a baby and then for many years at 31 Birch Avenue.
As there are many William Barbers I do not know which is the correct one. They must have been good friends (relatives?) to have gone to a photo studio to have their photo taken together.
If anyone recognizes any of this information and knows who Bill Barber is I would love to hear from you.

Re: Bill Barber c1891 Photo

Posted: 27 Jul 2012 3:42AM GMT
Could it be possible that Bill Barber was his best man at your g-grandfather's wedding. I have a picture in my family of two men together and they were best men at each others wedding. If you could find a copy of your g-grandfather's marriage certificate it should tell you who his best man was.

Posted: 27 Jul 2012 3:31PM GMT

In memory of Corporal DONALD GIBSON who died on November 6, 1918

Date of Birth: November 6, 1891
Son of William and Josephine Gibson, of Toronto; husband of Emma F. Gibson, of 45, Walmsley Boulevard, Toronto.

If so, on their marriage certificate, it indicates that the witnesses to the marriage were Josephine Gibson (of Birch Avenue) and Albert Hosmer (Baker Avenue).

Posted: 27 Jul 2012 5:51PM GMT
Hi Donna,

Good suggestion. I do have Donald Gibson's marriage certificate (and unfortunately Bill is not a witness) and I have all the information on him throughout his short life.

My reason for posting, which I maybe didn't really make clear, is that I have this photo of a Bill Barber. Bill must be someone's ancestor and I was hoping to be able to share this photo with anyone who recognizes him as such.

Posted: 27 Jul 2012 5:55PM GMT
Hi Eileen....that's king of you to look up Donald's information for me. I do have everything on Donald and his parents and family, my son visited his grave when he was in Belgium couple of summers ago.

I posted as I would like to share the photo of Bill Barber, he's someone's ancestor, and was hoping there would be someone who would recognize the name and place. If they had further information on this friendship then great.

Thanks, Dianne

Posted: 28 Jul 2012 2:31AM GMT
Yes you actually did make yourself clear, I just thought that finding out more on Bill might help determine who he is his name is very common I have several Bill Barbers in my family but would not be able to determine that he is connected to me by the info you provided. But maybe someone will see your post and figure out that he is connected to them.

Posted: 28 Jul 2012 12:35PM GMT
Thanks, Donna. I have tried to find more about Bill Barber but have had no luck. He could be any of the William Barber's that lived in Toronto at the same time as Donald. They look too young in the photo to have been WW1 army buddies so figure they must have grown up together or, at least, have been high school friends.
I don't know how much info you have on your Bill Barbers but here's some on Donald Gibson that may jive with that info.
1. Donald Gibson, born 1891, Toronto, to William and Josephine. 12 McMillan Street.
2. 1901 census, East York, 31 Birch Avenue
3. 1911 census 31 Birch Avenue
4. 1914 Married Emma Hosmer
5. 1916 Lived at 116 Birch Avenue.
6. 1916 Died in WW1.

Maybe I will try to have a further look into some of the Bill Barbers, I like mysteries!!

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 7:54AM GMT
I was wondering how old the Bill Barber in the picture is.

My grandfather was William (Bill) Barber and was born in Toronto, Canada July 2, 1889, the son of James Barber. He married a Hazel Secar I am guessing somewhere around 1915 as I have an Aunt born January 1917. That is all the information I currently have.

Posted: 6 Nov 2012 2:39AM GMT
To bowlhawk1:
This may be the marriage reg. of your grandfather - in Detroit. The file is from the familysearch site.
Attachments:

Posted: 6 Nov 2012 12:21PM GMT
My best guess is Donald Gibson and Bill Barber would be about 18 years old. Bill looks young, very smooth face, so they could be younger. This would make it approximately 1909 based on Donald's birth.

I can certainly send you this photo by email if you would like.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic