Search for content in message boards

Geraldind V. Hooper, & family, father Wallace G. Hooper, Mother Ada R. (Cook) Hooper

Geraldind V. Hooper, & family, father Wallace G. Hooper, Mother Ada R. (Cook) Hooper

Posted: 19 Jul 2002 8:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Nov 2002 3:53PM GMT
I am looking for descendants or anyone who knows any of these people. Ada R. (Cook) Hooper was a descendant of my Great Grandfather's brother William Cook. The Hoopers lived at 40 Inlet Terrace in Belmar. Wallace Hooper was an architect in Belmar his whole life. William Cook died early and his Wife Sarah married 2nd. George W Slocum. They lived in Avon-by-the-Sea, NJ.
Geraldine the daughter was a Harp teacher in Belmar. Anyone with any information please contact me.

Thanks, T. Cook

Re: Geraldind V. Hooper, & family, father Wallace G. Hooper, Mother Ada R. (Cook) Hooper

Posted: 7 Aug 2002 1:57AM GMT
Edited: 16 Jan 2003 6:09PM GMT
Surnames: Slocum, Morris, Bennett, White, Tallman, Truex
George W. Slocum died March 13, 1935. Sarah's maiden name on George's death certificate is Hendrickson.

Here is an excerpt from his obituary:

George W. Slocum, who would have been 93 next month, died after a heart attack at his home at 327 Woodland Ave. Avon. He had been suffering from a heart ailment for some time.

Mr. Slocum is survived by his widow Sarah, and three children, Mrs. Georgianna McGarvey, Deal; Mrs. Harry Van Brunt, Elberon and Benjamin Slocum, Long Branch.

Interment will be made at Hamilton cemetery.

I hope this helps.. Debbie C.

Re: Geraldind V. Hooper, & family, father Wallace G. Hooper, Mother Ada R. (Cook) Hooper

Posted: 7 Aug 2002 9:43PM GMT
Debbie thank you so much for the information. Are you related to any of the family? Sarah's maiden name was Hendrickson. She married William Cook and had 4 children. William died some time between 1885 & 1895. With no federal census for 1890 we loose a lot. Thankfully there was the NJ census in mid decade.
Thanks again, T.Cook

Posted: 11 Aug 2002 1:34AM GMT
Hi T. Cook - George W. Slocum was the brother of my ggg-grandfather David. Sorry, I'm not related to the Cook family. Do you know where William Cook was buried? Sarah is not listed on the headstone with George W. Slocum, so she may be buried with William.

In case you need it, Mrs. Harry Van Brunt was Carrie Slocum. -- Debbie

Posted: 14 Aug 2002 4:50PM GMT
Debbie, this is very interesting! I do not know where William Cook is buried, but have been looking for years. He is not buried with the rest of the Cook relatives. I do know that his widow, Sarah (Hendrickson) Cook lived in Avon-by-the-Sea in 1900. At that time she was living with her daughters Geraldine and Ada. The youngest of the children between her and William. Her oldest child and only son, Harry, I found living not far away from her in 1910 in Avon- . Listed was Harry and wife (Carrie). In 1920 Harry and Carrie were listed in Bradley Beach and now they had a son, Holmes Cook. I found out that Harry died young and Holmes was listed as living in Long Branch at the time of his mohter's death. I looked in Long Branch in 1930 census and find a Holmes Cook with his wife and daughter living, as listed, (with his mother), Carry Van Brunt, widow. Apparently Sarah Hendrickson Cook married George Slocum ( second marrriage for the both of them) and her son married his daughter. He dies and she marries second a Van Brunt. Does this sound logical to you and do you have any way of checking this out?
Much Thanks, T. Cook

Posted: 17 Aug 2002 10:12PM GMT
Hi T. Cook -

I'm a little confused about all of this. I found a headstone in Hamilton cemetery that lists Harry W. Cooke b. Aug. 14, 1872 - d. Dec. 28, 1901. Carrie Cooke Van Brunt is listed with him on the same headstone, b. Jan. 23, 1874 - d. March 22, 1966. Could the date for Harry W. Cooke (notice the spelling) be wrong?? This is a granite headstone, so it's pretty easy to read.

Debbie

Posted: 19 Aug 2002 6:10PM GMT
Debbie - This is interesting. Another of my great grandfather's brother's, Daniel Cook Jr. added the "e" to the end of his name. They like William and Sarah moved to Monmouth County about the turn of the century. So the "e" on the end of Cook is ok. I believe that the date of death is incorrect though. Did you say that Sarah is buried with George Slocum? Are they buried in Hamilton Cemetery and I wonder if Harry's father, William is buried there also?
Debbie thanks for your search here. I don't live in the area any longer and the only time I can tromp around the there is once a year on vacation.
Please keep in touch. T. Cook

Posted: 19 Aug 2002 6:44PM GMT
Hi Deb, Sorry I just checked your last message and you said that Sarah was not buried with George.
I guess I need to get a death certificate for Harry W. Cook or Cooke and see if he is the Harry that is the son of William and Sarah (Hendrickson) Cook. Also a marriage certificate for Harry and Carrie would mention the parents of both. I suspect that they made a mistake and his death should have been 1921 not 1901. It could have been that that stone was placed after she died and the stone maker made a mistake or was given the wrong information.
T. Cook

Tammy (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2002 11:49PM GMT
Can you please give me some info about this obituary... I have been trying to research my family name of Van Brunt...one of the three children listed showed: Mrs. Harry Van Brunt... I was trying to figure out if this is my great grandfather's wife: Julia Mae Van Brunt... They were from Brooklyn, NY...What state and city was this from?... any info would be greatly appreciated..thanks

Posted: 3 Dec 2002 1:13AM GMT
Edited: 16 Jan 2003 6:09PM GMT
Hi Tammy,

Mrs. Harry Van Brunt was Carrie Slocum, daughter of George Washington Slocum and his first wife, Mary Brower. They were from Monmouth County, NJ. The obituary stated Mrs. Harry Van Brunt, but Carrie's obituary from 1966 states her husband's name is Jerome. Her first husband was Harry Cooke. I hope this helps clarify things for you.

Debbie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic