Search for content in message boards

Green & Joseph HILL

Green & Joseph HILL

Posted: 24 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Jun 2002 7:03PM GMT
Surnames: HILL, JOHNSTON, SNEED, STOUT
Looking for others researching HILL lines. It has been said that Green and Joseph HILL were brothers. I would like to find their parentage.

Green HILL (1801, Johnston Co.,NC-1882, Johnson Co.IA) married in NC, Nancy SNEED (1795,NC-1859,IA) Children b. NC: Sion Wesley; James; Josiah C; William Aldridge; Narcissa; Andrew Jackson.

Joseph HILL (1806, NC-1850,Johnson Co.,IA) married Elizabeth JOHNSTON (1755,NC-1844,NC) She was the daughter of Abel & Ann JOHNSTON/JOHNSON. Joseph married #2 Hannah STOUT. Children of Joseph and Elizabeth b. NC: Penelope "Penny"; Joseph J; Eli Frank; George McDaniel.

Would love to share and compare if we have connection.
Thanks! Sharon

Green Hill

Posted: 27 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jan 2004 9:15PM GMT
Surnames: Hill
Sharon,

I could not find the connection in the books I have but here is what I found in Kinfolks of Johnston County Deed Abstracts Vol. I 1759-1825 by Elizabeth E. Ross:

16 Mar. 1799 Green Hill Sr. of Franklin County to William B. Hill of Franklin County for $300., 300 ac. in Johnston County NS Black Creek, BS the Pole Cat Branch adj. Alexander Smith...
Wit: H. Potter, Henry Sewell May Court 1799

Hope this helps you.

Hill's in Johnston co nc

Gail Hopkins (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Talton, Spivey, Sasser, Thornton, Toler, Raynor, Stallings, Rhodes, Dunn, Langston, Hill, Godwin
I have these HILLS anyone know more of there families
Thomas Hill dau. Luciand Eliz. HILL b. 7-1760 m. Dozier Thornton.
Frances HILL b. abt 1748 m. Mary Blackman dau Eliz. and Martha HILL
Frances HILL m. Elizabeth ( lived near thornton's)dau. Agnes b. March 1746
Hill m. Anna Hester Rhodes she was b. 1886 son Henry Hill b 1926 m. willie mae Wayne co.

These Hill's lived ,from Johnston co could moved some to Wayne co nc.

Re: Green & Joseph HILL/New E-Mail!

Posted: 2 Nov 2004 7:43PM GMT
Edited: 9 Feb 2006 2:49AM GMT
Please change E-Mail address to: <smis47@yahoo.com>
Thanks! Sharon

Re: Green & Joseph HILL

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 3:29PM GMT
Surnames: Hill, Dodd
Sharon, my ggrandfather's name was L. Burton Hill. He married Susan Dodd in 1850, and they lived for the most part in the Clayton, Johnston Co. area. I did find them once in the 1860 census in Cumberland Co. I have been wondering if Joseph Hill was his father. The time period fits. Have you ever heard of L. Burton which is sometimes spelled Elberton? Iris Hill Brown

Re: Hill's in Johnston co nc

Posted: 1 Mar 2007 2:14PM GMT
Surnames: Westbrook;Eldridge;King;Pittman;Godwin
I have Francis Hill md. to Mary Blackman. Don't have nfo on Mary, but Francis died 12/21/1800, plus this nfo:
the North Carolina Wills
H.
page 282
1800 December 21. HILL, FRANCIS, Hill, B. H.; Thornton, Martha, John; Westbrook, Aley, William; Hobbs, Hester, Simon.

The B.H. is for Bennet Hill he md. Mary Lee. Martha md. John Thornton. Hester md. Simon Hobbs. John, William, and Simon mention in the will refer to the husbands of Martha, Aley and Hester. I do not show an Elizabeth at all.

Aley Hill b. c 1775 md. William Westbrook, Jr. s/o William Westbrook and Mary "Dolly" Sandefur. They had a son named Francis Westbrook. The Westbrooks were from Sampson Co., NC. I have further nfo on Aley and William if you are interested.

I don't have nfo on a second wife. I didn't know about her. In his will is does not mention a wife.

Hope this helps

Posted: 5 Jun 2007 12:55AM GMT
Surnames: Hill/Narron
I am also researching Hills from Johnston County NC. I am stuck at my great-great-grandfather: Moses J. Hill born 1824, married to Apsilla Howell (born in 1835) in 1854. Can't find out what the middle initial J. is for and am wondering if Joseph could be a father?
I did find that Green Hill was a huge landowner based on research at the NC Archives.
If you are researching Hills, a great resource is the Johnston County Heritage Center http://www.johnstonnc.com/mainpage.cfm?category_level_id=436...

Posted: 5 Jun 2007 11:45AM GMT
Moses hill father was John hill and his wife was Edney. They lived in 1850 in Wayne Co. NC, then 1860 they lived in Duplin Co. where they both died. Moses stayed in Johnston Co. with his family.
There is still family living in this area, i can get you in touch with several members. They say there is old pictures but I have not seen them. My dau. best friend is a direct line from him, also also connected to our line.
My husband line is connected though Moses brother Annias Hill.
There is alot of people tracing this line. Please email me direct and I will get you in touch with the family members.
tdsherron@cs.com.
I strongly beleive that john Hill parents was John and Jean Kenan Hill from Duplin Hill.

Donna

Posted: 26 Dec 2013 6:49PM GMT
Edited: 26 Dec 2013 6:50PM GMT
Greetings, many of these are old postings, but here goes. The Francis and Bennett Hills are from Sampson County and I have them pretty thoroughly researched until about 1820 when Bennett Hill left the area, his father Francis having been deceased since 1800. The Green Hill born 1801 mentioned in this thread who married Nancy Sneed had their marriage bond witnessed in Wake County in1819 by Sion/Sihon Hill, most assuredly his father Sion Hill who married Starage Lee in 1800 in Johnston County. Joseph Hill born in 1806 in Johnston married first to Elizabeth Johnson, yes the daughter of Abel and Ann Johnson. Joseph is, in my opinion, the son of Rev. War soldier Joseph Hill who married Sarah Lee. The Rev. War docs are on file at fold3.com and clearly name their son Joseph and others. In 1830, widow Saran Lee Hill is living with Joseph in the Johnston County census; it's not his mother-in-law widow Ann Johnson as she is living in another household with her children in 1830. Green's parents Sion/Starage Hill are already in Davidson County by early 1823. Since Green's father is Sion and Joseph's father is a Joseph Hill (Sr.), they are NOT brothers. However, the fact that Joseph Sr. and Sion both married into the Lee family gives consideration to some relationship that after 38 years, I have not uncovered. Why Green Hill/1801 moved to Johnson County, Iowa in the 1830s and then Joseph Hill followed him there in the mid to late 1840s after marrying widow Hannah Stout Yarbrough is not known. I am still actively researching these lines. I welcome your input. Thanks, Jerry McDowell, jerrymcd@nc.rr.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic