Search for content in message boards

Tilyou

Posted: 25 Jul 2001 6:17AM GMT
Edited: 6 Feb 2004 11:27PM GMT
Surnames: tilyou, canton
I am looking for information on Carlisle Tilyou. He lived in Jackson county in the 1800's but died in Selma Twp, Wexford county on February 18, 1901. He lived with his daughter, Adeline Otis.

Re: Tilyou

Posted: 26 Sep 2001 7:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Oct 2001 6:00PM GMT
I am Carlisle Messlin's great-great grandaughter. I'm not
certain when he moved to Selma Township (now Cadillac, Michigan). His son, Alfonso Elwin Tilyou, married Cora May Parker. They had two sons, Lloyd and Clarence, and a daughter (my grandmother) Flora Alta Tilyou. After the death of my great- grandmother (Cora), my grandmother (Alta) lived with her (cousin?) Nora Otis (I believe on the Boon Rd) of Cadillac, Michigan. Nora's house burned sometime in the early 1960's. Later, my grandmother married Louis Messlin of Cadillac and they had two sons, Emery Elwin (my father) and
Carlisle Joseph. I have one sister, Carla.

I will try to forward more information to you about Carlisle Tilyou. My father, uncle, and sister can contribute more facts. We have photographs as well. Can you fill me in on
any information you might have concerning the Tilyou family
history? My grandmother once told me that the Tilyou name was not original, but had been changed from Tillou or something similar. Can you verify this?

Posted: 26 Sep 2001 7:30PM GMT
Oops! I meant to say that I'm Carlisle TILYOU'S great-great
granddaughter. Sorry!

Posted: 27 Sep 2001 1:55AM GMT
Edited: 6 Feb 2004 11:27PM GMT
I have seen many spellings of the name. The farthest back that I have gotten so far is Joseph Tillue who was supposed to have come from France. He married Betsy McDowel who was of Scotch heritage and born at sea on the way to America. His son was Peter Tilyou who lived in New York. He married Anna Canton. Their children were: Rueben, Rebecca, Betsy, James, Sally, Hannah, Jonathon, Catherine, Carlyle, Anna, and Emeline. Anna Tilyou married Daniel Jones Roe in Wayne County, New York. They are my great-great-great grandparents. They eventually moved from New York to Eaton Rapids, Michigan. Carlyle Tilyou came to Jackson County, Michigan. Several other Tilyou's came to Michigan including the parents, Peter and Anna. They both died in Jackson County, which is where I live. I have some information on the family, but not a great deal. I haven't been able to find out much about Joseph and Betsy. A lot of the information I have comes from a DAR document.

Posted: 27 Sep 2001 8:25PM GMT
Thanks for the information! I will try to gather more facts
this week and hopefully get them to you. I need to make another correction: Alfonso Tilyou's children were named Glen, Lloyd and Flora Alta (my grandmother). Glen and Lloyd died, unmarried and with no descendents. Also, I am interested in the DAR documents. My grandmother once told me that she had been contacted by the DAR, but she never pursued it. Do you know approximately what date Joseph Tillue emmigrated from France?
If it would be easier to correspond, my e-mail address is juli_messlin@yahoo.com I will give you more information
about where I live, etc. Thank you again for the response!
Juli

Posted: 7 Sep 2012 2:57AM GMT
Hi..My name is Dawn Froehlich (Tillou). I am doing my family tree and I found that I am the great, great, great granddaughter of Carlisle Tillou/Tilyou. Carlisle's first wife was Fatima DeForrest(DeForest) and had 2 children. Harvey D Tillou is their son. Harvey married Letitia M. Palmer and had 3 children. Martha, Charles and Albert. Charles Palmer Tillou is my grandfather's father. My grandfather was Charles Albert Tillou. I am trying to get more information on Carlisle. I have not found yet who his parents were. Would you by chance know? I have found that Tillou has been spelled several ways, like Tilyou, Tillon. I am sure I will probably discover more. It is really interesting when you get to find your family roots. My family and I are trying to find out when the Tillou's came to America. Thank you for your help!!

Posted: 7 Sep 2012 4:14PM GMT
I believe that most Tillou/ Tilyou families in America were descended from Pierre Tillou born 1655 in France. He was a Huguenot and had to escape from France (Saint-Nazaire). He sought sanctuary in England and then sailed to Virginia. His descendants settled around New York. The name Carlisle / Carlye appears often in the Tillou / Tilyou line. One of Pierre Tillou's descendant's , Pierre Joseph Tilyou, married Mary Carlisle. They lived in Dutchess County, New York. I believe this is where the name Carlisle started to show up. So I would think that your Carlisle was descended from the two people as my Carlisle was but in a different line.
Posted: 13 Sep 2012 12:23AM GMT
I seem to see that same trend. It is pretty interesting!! I am trying to fill in the middle. I have gotten pretty far. Just got stuck at Carlisle. Started going back with Pierre Tillou who arrived America, but could not contact with Carlisle. I will find the path one day I am sure. I also see that there is a Tillou France. I thought was interesting. Thank you for your input. I have not found the Pierre Joseph Tilyou and Mary Carlisle link. I will have to keep going. Again, Thank you very much!!
Posted: 14 Sep 2012 6:01PM GMT
I just wanted to say thank you again. The name Carlisle/Carlye was what I needed to fill in the missing pages!!!! I have now got everything to link my grandfather back to Pierre Tillou from France. To think that their son, Vincent Tilyou/Teilo/Tillou started the Tillou family.

Pierre Joseph and Mary Carlisle, whom you meantioned had a son, Joseph Tillou who married Elizabeth Druse. Their son Carlisle and his first wife Fatima Deforrest had a son Harvey D. Tillou. He married Letitia Palmer. He was my great, great Grandpa. Harvey's son, Charles P. Tillou is my great grandpa. Married Daisy Mae Bobo. Their son was Charles Albert Tillou, my grandfather. It was really cool to find all this. Thank you again!!

Posted: 14 Sep 2012 7:04PM GMT
I glad that I have helped you. Ancestor hunting can be a hard business. I was searching Peter Tilyou and his wife, Anna Canton, for a long time. They were originally from New York and I supposed that they had died there. Eventually I was introduced to someone in Jackson who was also researching Tilyou's. She was 93 years old. She had information for me that Peter Tilyou and his wife were buried in Leoni cemetery in Jackson County which is the county I live in. In fact, my brother was buried in that very cemetery. Apparently, Peter Tilyou's son, Carlisle, had moved to Jackson county, Michigan and his father and mother later joined him here. Amazing.......... Good luck with your research, if I can help with anything, let me know.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic