Search for content in message boards

William Columbus Bennett I/VA

William Columbus Bennett I/VA

Posted: 26 Dec 1999 2:51PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2002 4:45AM GMT
I am searching for information on a William Columbus Bennett
whose father was Benjamin Bennett and mother was Mary.
He married Mary Francis Baugh in Amelia County, VA, date
unknown. It would have been before 1765.

William Columbus Bennett

Preston Bennett (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jan 2000 11:12AM GMT
My ggggf was Elijah Bennett. His father may
have been a William C. Bennett, who may be
the William Columbus Bennett you are interested
in. Elijah was born 1801 in GA. I have info
on descendents of Elijah.

Re: William Columbus Bennett I/VA

Posted: 5 Oct 2001 11:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jul 2002 12:36AM GMT
i have a:william bennett that was married to a: mary hannah dewberry she was born in:1764 in yourk co. va . if this helps you out any? i have the full family of the dewberry family and well i'm just trying to find out what happen to mary since i dont have much of her info on her family that she had. my 6th g-grand dad was her bother. but well i'f you think this could be who your looking for let me know. jennifer

Posted: 17 Dec 2008 7:47PM GMT
Do you have access to the book "Georgia Bennetts: Their Ancestry and Their Heritage" by William Thomas Waters and Carlotta Tait published by Martin-Johnson Printing Co, Jonesboro, GA, copyright 1976? It was a vanity press item, but antiquariats might have a copy. It is very extensive but occasionally unreliable. In trying to trace back to the Bennetts who settled Jamestown in the 1620's, the lineages get confusing, sometimes self-contradictory or skipping generations. I have worked out the most plausible lineage, with some help from Virginia's on-line records.

I am descended from William Columbus Bennett and Mary Frances Baugh of Amelia County, VA. I have his birth date as about 1745 and death date 1797, both in Amelia County. His father was Benjamin Bennett, born about 1725 in Amelia County, and mother Mary White. Benjamin was one of three sons of Richard Bennett III, who died about 1735 in Surry County, VA., and he, in turn, was one of four children of Richard Bennett II, who died 30 Mar 1720 in Isle of Wight County, VA and wife Annie. His father Richard I was born in 1625 in VA and died in 1709. This Richard's parents were Thomas Bennett and Alice Pierce, both born in England, who married in 1624 in Isle of Wight County, VA, somewhere in or near Jamestown. Thomas immigrated in 1618 or 1621 on the ship Neptune. On the internet I have found records tracing the male line in England back to a Thomas Bennett born in 1459 in Newbury, Berkshire, England.

William C. and Mary had a son William Columbus, Jr., who married Rachel Jacob and migrated to Jackson County, GA after 1791. Their son William Benjamin Bennett married Lavinia Brumbelow and moved to Fayette County, GA, in or before 1836, where he acquired a lot of land and built Bennett's Mill, which still stands west of Fayetteville, and lived to 1873. I am descended from their son Chamelous or Camelious Bennett (1817-1897), whose daughter Mary Elizabeth Bennett was my great-grandmother.
I have a little more on these folks, including some events in their lives, siblings' names, etc.

Posted: 1 Jan 2009 7:34PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jan 2009 11:38PM GMT
Surnames: BENNETT
Mr. Mozley,

Might any of the Bennetts you speak of have migrated to Tenn.? I'm looking for Thomas Bennett b. around 1804 in Tenn. who eventually ended up in Texas via Miss.

Posted: 1 Jan 2009 11:36PM GMT
No, sorry, none that I know of. The male line carrying the family name only continued with Cam Bennett's son James Strickland Bennett who had only one son, William Martin Bennett, 1878 - abt. 1929. He had two sons - William Martin, Jr., and Robert Harold, born 1903 and 1907, respectively. I have no informati0on on where William Martin or his sons moved, but I don't think they stayed around Fayetteville, GA.

Posted: 2 Jan 2009 2:31AM GMT
Thank you very much.

Posted: 2 Jan 2009 4:32AM GMT
Surnames: Bennett
William Columbus Bennett and his brother Jesse are the sons of John Bennett and Elizabeth Dodson (daughter of Thomas Dodson and Elizabeth Rose) of Pittsylvania County, VA. They left VA before 1800 and moved south. William and 2nd wife Rachel (White) died in GA. William's son Bartholomew and Jesse Bennett were in East Feliciana, LA by 1816. Bartholomew married Jesse's daughter Sarah in LA. After her death Bartholomew remarried. Jesse married Martha Paul. They died in LA before 1825. Most of their descendants remained in the area, although many settled in MS or moved on to TX.

Posted: 2 Jan 2009 6:07PM GMT
Thank you for this posting. It points to some likely confusions of William Bennetts in the Georgia Bennett book.

I do know that Rachel White Bennett is my ancestor, because she is buried near her son William Benjamin and grandson Camelious Bennett, my g-g-grand-father, in the Fayetteville, GA City Cemetery. Some records list her maiden name as Jacob. Several records I had of Rachel's husband William Columbus, assuming him to the the son of William Columbus and Mary Frances Baugh, indeed don't make sense. Your William Columbus son of John fits known dates better. However, I do have some conflicts with your records.

I have no records of sons named Bartholomew or Jesse. I suppose one or both might have been sons of W.C. by his first wife, about whom I did not know. Twelve children of Rachel and W.C. are listed in his Will of 25 July 1822 in Jackson Co, GA. (transcribed into the Georgia Bennett book), but none are named Jesse and one is named Bartley, not Bartholomew. A letter written by Arnold Bennett, son of W.c. and Rachels' son Asa about 1917 (transcribed into the GA Bennett book) says his Uncle Bartley settled in Louisiana. He also says Asa and Bartley's brother, his Uncle William Benjamin (my ancestor), owned and visited land in Texas before settling in Fayette County, GA.

Do you have any ancestry of this W.C.'s father John? I have a John with brothers named William and Jesse, the three of them sons of a John Bennett who died in Isle of Wight County, VA on 4 October 1770. The dates seem about right, but I have nothing but names of this John's children, but got from the GA Bennett book that he descended from Thomas Bennett who came to Jamestown, VA from England before 1625.

Posted: 2 Jan 2009 7:26PM GMT
I totally agree about confusion with this Bennett line. There are two un-related Bennett families in Pittsylvania County, VA. The key to this line lies with the Dodson connection. There is a 2-volume book on the Dodson family.

I am not at all sure if this family is part of the Jamestown Bennetts. It seems likely that William Columbus's father is John, son of Elizabeth Rice and William
Bennett. William was born Oct. 16, 1691. This is from the Pittsylvania Co. Bennett "historian." The last time we talked Donald Bennett's email was Archidon2@aol.com

Bartley is Bartholomew. Census records, marriage, land deeds, etc. in Louisiana name him Bartholomew most of the time. I did find a few times he was named Bartley. Uncle/father-in-law Jesse uses the names Dodson, William, etc. for his children. We know that Bartholomew married his first cousin Sarah. There is a Jesse Dodson--brother to Elizabeth Dodson.

Have you seen the book written by Bettie Cox Collie? She lives in NC and compiled/wrote the book about 10 years ago. The Bennetts of Pittsylvania County, VA. Donald helped her with quite a bit of it. Several Louisiana descendants added our 2 cents worth.

Thanks for updating this line. I did not know the name of William's first wife. Please keep in touch. If you are interested in the LA family, I will gladly send what I have.
Ruth in Louisiana

per page

Find a board about a specific topic