Search for content in message boards

1st -2nd cousin match on DNA

1st -2nd cousin match on DNA

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 2:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Nov 2012 4:51PM GMT
I recently received my DNA results back and was very surprised to have a match of 1st -2nd cousin. My Mother had told me that I have a first cousin on my Father's side of the family but didn't have any more information. After looking at this match's tree - she is the daughter of a woman and an "unknown father". The location of her birth and the dates, along with the DNA results make it very possible that my Uncle was her Father. I have sent her a message - but she doesn't seem very interested in corresponding with me about this.

Re: 1st -2nd cousin match on DNA

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 4:31PM GMT
Jennifer, don't be too surprised about this. It is a sensitive topic.

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 4:44PM GMT
Not really surprised - but a little disappointed

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 4:49PM GMT
It kinda makes you wonder why they did the DNA testing at Ancestry because you don't get health results. Usually you are interested in finding family and growing your family tree. I would be excited to find a 1-2 cousin for my husband's DNA. I guess it is what makes the world go around.

I'm not sure how long ago she found out but maybe she is checking things out herself.

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 3:26PM GMT
People's responses to new and unsettling information is variable. Some dive right in, some take awhile to sink in and other run in the opposite direction. I would be patient with this contact and check back in a month or so.

I have had known cousins be shocked that we match. the power of the DNA to find others makes some people uncomfortable. You just never know and sometimes it's just that their life got really busy. So don't give up hope.

Posted: 8 Dec 2012 11:39AM GMT
I have some very closely matched cousins showing up, but even with thousands of people in their trees, there are no shared ancestors popping up yet. Maybe it's because of a similar reason? They don't know they're related, or somebody's parentage going back was not known? I hadn't thought of that reason before, but I keep hoping to figure out how exactly we're related.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic