Search for content in message boards

Three Bells (ship)

Three Bells (ship)

Posted: 16 Sep 2007 6:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: creighton
Looking for information on owners builders or crew of the ship Three Bells of Glasgow Scotland,(Capt Robert Creighton, born 1821 in Scotland) which rescued the steamship San Francisco in Dec 1853. Capt Creighton was later awarded a gold medal by the US Govt.

Re: Three Bells (ship)

Posted: 17 Sep 2007 12:57AM GMT
Surnames: Whittier Sauer Tubach Duback
Here is a link to poem written by James Greenleaf Whittier about the "Three Bells" and its part in the rescue of the steamer "San Francisco" in January 1854.
http://whitewolf.newcastle.edu.au/words/authors/W/WhittierJo....

There were some Polkas written about this event and several journals are available.

My ancestors, Sauer and Tubach/Duback and families, were survivors of the steamer "San Francisco". Soldiers of the US Army Third Artillery being shipped to California. How were yours connected?

Posted: 17 Sep 2007 3:45AM GMT
Surnames: creighton; crighton
Thank you for your interest Marilyn. As far as I know I have no personal connection with the San Francisco or the Three Bells, I'm just helping a South Australian friend who has Creighton connections in Scotland. Best wishes with your work, Bess

Posted: 29 Nov 2007 1:44AM GMT
Surnames: Crighton Duckett
Hi-

My name is Nancy Stead and I am the g-granddaughter of Washington Duckett, carpenter on the San Francisco on her ill-fated maiden voyage. He survived the wreck, but his brother, who was a waiter on the ship, did not. I am doing research on the wreck of the San Francisco and the subsequent rescue of her passengers.

The Three Bells was built in 1850 and owned by John Bell and his brother, as well as a third Bell, unrelated to them, hence the name. It was the largest iron ship then afloat. She was built on the Clyde at Dumbarton, Scotland, by William Denny and Brothers.

The Three Bells' officers were Captain Crichton, James Gibb, First Mate; John McLean, Second Mate; Adam Cairns, Carpenter; William Parmer, Steward; and Francis McClusky, Cook. there were also 21 seamen aboard. There were also sixteen passengers aboard.

Crighton's g-grandson, Richard E. Crighton, wrote an article about the wreck of the San Francisco, and his g-grandfather's part in the rescue in the Winter 1985 issue of the American Neptune, a quarterly journal of maritime history published by the Peabody Museum of Salem, MA, USA. At that time, Richard was in possession of the silver urn presented to Crighton by the merchants and citizens of New York City, a picture of which appears in the article.

Posted: 29 Nov 2007 6:12AM GMT
Nancy, thank you very much! The Three Bells information is exactly what I wanted.Best wishes for your research, Bess

Posted: 6 Dec 2007 10:23PM GMT
Hello, greetings from the uk.
I am researching the ship Three Bells and also the wreck of the San Francisco.
The Three Bells was built for John William and Finlay Bell by Dennys and i think cost around £12,000.
There are ten or eleven (or thereabouts) versions of music published in America with one published in London.
Captain Crichton received a number of accolades incl money, silver, medals etc.
Perhaps we could exchange data.
Most of my info has come via the Internet but the University of Glasgow has records for the Denny shipyard incl masses of detail for the Three Bells, most of which although interesting (ie Bags of nails, plate, timber etc)is perhaps not relevant.
I live some 300 miles from Glasgow and visit once or twice a year. For this New Year with my wife and son we will celebrate New Year in Times Square NY and while there for four days will attempt to obtain some data from the Library museums etc.
Perhaps we can exchnge some data
Regards....Jim Bell

Posted: 7 Dec 2007 7:31AM GMT
Surnames: crichton; bell
Thank you very much Jim - I assume that you're a descendant of one of the three Bells?

I haven't followed up much on the Three Bells, because it was in connection with Captain Crichton, Creighton, Crighton in a family history search for a neighbour who has now gone as as he needs to go.

However, I did find that the Three Bells (Capt A Campbell, Glasgow 26/11/1850) arrived at Port Adelaide SA with a few passengers, 1 death & 1 birth, on 5/4/1851 Would you like the passenger list?

I noticed also that a San Francisco arrived & departed from Australia in the 1840s-50s, and that a Bell captained several ships in OZ waters.

These are all from Australian sources; are you interested?

Best wishes from South Australia, Bess

Posted: 19 Dec 2007 4:40AM GMT
Hi Bess,

I have an old photocopy of the passenger list of the Three Bells dated 23/3/1852 Captained by Arch Campbell with United Kingdom No. 239. Nominal List of Passengers at the bottom. There are two pages.

If this corrisponds to your list may I have a copy for my records.

Do you have any pic of the ship or other details?

Also chasing family history.

Regards Trevor

Posted: 19 Dec 2007 7:06PM GMT
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I'm open to sharing information, although like you, a great deal of what I have came from the Internet. I have used several other sources as well.

Posted: 19 Dec 2007 8:02PM GMT
Hello Bess
No! not related to the Bell Butchers or Shipping Company, unfortunately, only as they are of the same surname. My fathers originate and I have traced them to around Lockerbie in the Borders of Scotland to the year 1791.
I am trying to piece together the voyages of the Three Bells so any data or confirmation of data is useful.
Three Bells left Glasgow 22/26th November 1850.
She arrived Port Adelaide March 5th 1851.
The Three Bells went on to Melbourne and arrived 2nd April.
Passengers details I have begin with a Doctor Colquhoun, W, Cowdell etc to Adelaide with other passengers to Melbourne some of which i have no data.The list begins with Mr W.Gordon, Mr Vanded? etc. If you can confirm dates Passengers etc that would be great.
I can list the passengers for comparisons with you.
There are only two pictures of the ship that i know of, One in the National Maritime Museum London and one in the Museum of South Australia, although the NMM in Lodon holds ship plans, but these do not show enough detail of the ship. The diagram of the rigging gives i suppose a good idea of what she may have looked like.
The Three Bells left Melbourne,(1851,) for Newcastle NSW arriving there on the 28th May, she then left 7th June for Calcutta, London and Glasgow.
The next info i have is that she arried Victoria Australia June 1852 Captain Campbell?, but i Have no other data
Her next Australan voyage that i have is again to Victoria Australia June 1856 Captain McCallum, and no data
All above data does need confirmation!
Thanks for your time and apologies for the delay in making a reply.
If there is anything i can help you with back here in the UK, just ask
Regards Jim Bell, Leicestershire England.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions