Search for content in message boards

Mulvanerty

Mulvanerty

Terry Sweeney (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2006 4:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mulvanerty Sweeney

I've located my great-great-great grandmother in Leitrim county and wonder if you have run across any connections to her that might explain who her husband was or parents were or if she has any connections to the other Mulvanerty's? Thanks!
Terry Sweeney

From 1901 census Margaret Mulvanerty (age 99) farmer/widow, her
daughter was Mary Mulvanerty Sweeney(50) Son-in-law Terence Sweeney (50)
they lived at: Knockacullion (townland) Oughteragh Carrigallen Leitrim

Re: Mulvanerty

Posted: 10 Jun 2006 10:01PM GMT
Surnames: Mulvanerty
I too am working on Mulvanerty in Leitrim, but I don't have a connection yet to your Margaret. If you do find out more about her Mulvanerty side please contact me.

According to what I've seen, the 1856 Griffith's Valuation of Leitrim has 21 Mulvanerty entries in Leitrim. 11 of them are in the civil parish of Oughterragh, which is where your Margaret is listed in the 1901 census (by the way, of the remaining 10, 4 are in Kiltubbrid, 4 in Fenagh, and 2 in Kiltoghert if that distribution is meaningful to anybody).

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 4:10PM GMT
Surnames: Mulvanerty
You may find this interesting. Not sure if it was posted on the message board. A researcher sent it to me:

I saw your posting regarding your Mulvanerty family. I have been collecting records for Blessings and Mulvanertys in Leitrim (Mulvanerty is the gaelic form of Blessing) since my great grandmother was Bridget Blessing born in Leitrim. I came across some info on your family.

Margaret Mulvanerty's husband's name was Philip Mulvanerty. His name on his death record is recorded as Phil Blessing.
Phil Blessing died on February 4, 1885 of old age. His age was 84 and he lived in Knockacullion. He was a farmer and the informant on his death record was Mary Sweeney (daughter) who also lived in Knockacullion.

Margaret Mulvanerty died on January 14, 1905 of old age. Her age is recorded as 99. Her name is recorded on her death record as Margaret Blessing and she lived in Knockacullen (spelling on record). The informant was Mary Sweeney (daughter) who lived in Knockacullen.

Marriage record of Mary Mulvanety and Terence Sweeny (surname spellings as recorded on marriage certificate: married in the R.C. Chapel of Aughnasheilan on January 29, 1866. Terence lived in Derrien and Mary lived in Knockacullion prior to their marriage. Terence was a labourer and Mary was a farmer's daughter. Terence's father was Terence Sweeny (farmer) and Mary's father was Philip Mulvanety (farmer). The marriage witnesses were Terence Sweeny & Bridget McSweeney. They were married by Rev. Patrick Galligan.

Re: Mulvanerty Sweeney connection and townland

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 4:16PM GMT
Surnames: Mulvanerty Sweeney
This was sent to me by Leitrim geneologist Roger McDonnel:

It took me awhile and I was down to the very last search possibility but I believe I found your family. John was listed as 25 rather than 18. The family was living with your great-great grandmother Mary Mulvanerty who was 99.

Knockacullion is a townland consisting of 1740 acres. Knockacullion is near Slieve Anierin mountain about 6 miles west of the Co. Cavan border. The closest town is Drumshanbo which is probably 10 miles to the southwest.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Roger McDonnell

Knockacullion
Oughteragh
Carrigallen
Leitrim
Household
Mulvanerty
Margaret(99)
farmer/widow
Terence Sweeney(50) son in law/farmer-Mary Sweeney(50) dtr.-Patrick Sweeney(30) gs-John Sweeney(25) gs-Terence Sweeney(18) gs-Joseph Sweeney(11) gs

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 4:39PM GMT
Surnames: Sweeney, Mulvanerty
By the way, in case you don't know, Terrence Sweeney and Mary Mulvanerty may have had 2 more children besides the 4 that are shown in the 1901 census. I have some CDs from LDS (the British Isles vital records index) and it shows two children of Terence Sweeny and Mary Mulvanaty in Leitrim:

Mary, born 30 Jul 1869. Birthplace 44, Ballinamore, Leit, Ire. Source: FHL Film 101192 Dates: 1869 - 1870.

Anne, born 23 May 1871. Birthplace: 48, Ballinamore, Leit, Ire. Source FHL Film 255821. Dates: 1871 - 1872.

Good luck,
Dan

Posted: 1 Mar 2009 8:57PM GMT
Surnames: Sweeney/Sweeny
Hello there, Came across your posting when I was looking up Derrien. I have an ancestor Philip Sweeny (Sweeney)married in 1868 His Father was Ter ence, which would have his birth late 1700 early 1800, and marriage pre 1840 have youcome across anything on this line, it would be great an it might link me to ny Great G G Grandmother's name,
Chris Doherty
dohertycp@eircom.net

Posted: 1 Mar 2009 8:59PM GMT
Surnames: Sweeney/Sweeny
Hello there, Came across your posting when I was looking up Derrien. I have an ancestor Philip Sweeny (Sweeney)married in 1868 His Father was Terence, which would have his birth late 1700 early 1800, and marriage pre 1840 have youcome across anything on this line, it would be great an it might link me to my Great G G Grandmother's name,
Chris Doherty
dohertycp@eircom.net
Posted: 2 Mar 2009 5:42PM GMT
Sorry, but I have no knowledge of the familys mentioned. My posting would have been for a Margaret Carr from County Leitrim.

Posted: 26 Dec 2012 5:17PM GMT
Surnames: Blessing, O'Halloran, Mulvanerty
I am a Blessing, recently told that our ancestors were Mulvanerty. My grandfather was Cornelius Blessing and his wife was Jean O'Halloran. Any connection there?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic