Search for content in message boards

John Courtney Gilpin

John Courtney Gilpin

Posted: 26 Mar 2007 6:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gilpin, deGylpyn, deGuylpyn, Gilpinge, Galpin,
Hi,
Over on Genforum there was an old requestt for info on John Courtney so I went looking:

It isn't often you find a hit so easily. First I was searching the web. I went throught probably 20 pages before I found a hit for John Courtney Gilpin. It was as a next of kin for a Charles Ridgeway Gilpin. Charles, was listed for his service in WWI. date 1915. This gave an area in Canada as the address for John Courtney Gilpin as his next of kin.

Now going to the 1910 census, I started looking for a John Gilpin just hoping I could find him... I did he was listed as John C. Gilpin and Charles Ridgeway Gilpin was listed as his married son.
See all info below:

http://www.magma.ca/~leprecha/pdf/1stdraft.pdf

Name, Regimental #, Rank, & Former Corps Address of next of kin, Birth place, Taken on S'Gth(date/place)
Charles Ridgeway Gilpin;A11093, private, NIL, Gilpin, John Courtney; 604 Spadina Cres, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, Saskatoon, Apr 05, 1915
~~~~~~~~~~

1911 Census of Canada

Name: John C Gilpin
Marital Status: Married
Birth Date: Nov 1838
Birthplace: Ireland
Family Number: 37
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Annie
Immigration year: 1853
Tribal: Irish
Province: Saskatchewan
District: Saskatoon
District Number: 216
Sub-District: Saskatoon Ward 4
Sub-District Number: 34
Place of Habitation: 604 Crescent
Census Year: 1911
Page: 4
relegion of family Methodist
Household Members: Name Age
John C Gilpin 82 head, b. Nov. 1838 Ireland
Annie Gilpin 57 wife, b. May 1856 Ireland
Annie Nalda Gilpin 31 daughter, dec 1879 ontario
Charlotte E Gilpin 29 daughter may 1882, ontario
Mary Hamilton Gilpin 22 daughter Jun 1889, ontario
Florence Elinor Gilpin 20 daughter Nov 1891 ontario
George Courtney Gilpin 24 son july 1886, ontario, married
Chas ?? Gilpin 16 son july 1894 ontario
Reginald Bakenson 27 lodger Ireland
Redy Emery 30 lodger ontario
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nelda

Re: John Courtney Gilpin

Posted: 26 Mar 2007 6:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gilpin, deGylpyn, deGuylpyn, Gilpinge, Galpin,
More on John's posting at Genforum.com...
in the message the poster talked about a relative visiting WElliam Gilpin Vicar of Bolde's grand son Rev. Edwin Gilpin of NS, Canada.

Here is my responce to that posting:

Hi,
First some corrections:
you state:
A grandson of the Vicar of Boldre was Rev Edwin Gilpin (1821-1902), Dean of the Anglican Church in Nova Scotia.
Answer: he was the great grand son of the Vicar of Boldre William Gilpin. Edwin Gilpin's father was Edwin Gilpin too. his father was John Bernard Gilpin who was an Embasidor, he retired to NS. his father was William Gilpin.

You need to see message 1318 (at genforum same as the begining of this message).

Now, It seems quite a few different lineages of Irish Gilpins believe in some contact with the Scaleby Gilpins.

I have hired a professional to help find the connections between the Irish Gilpins with the
Scaleby / Whitehaven Gilpins.

There is a group of Gilpins, one Richard Gilpin whose wife was Mary Boretree. They were from Ireland.
They moved to Wayne County, PA, USA in about 1810.

In 1927 descendants of this line did some research and held a reunion. in Wayne Co., PA.
They believed there was a connection with a John Gilpin whose will was listed in the index to Perogative
Wills of Ireland written by Vicar. Probated 1734. It gives his address as Whitehaven, Cumberland County, England. (NOTE FROM ME: If he had lands in both countries then there will be a listing of his will in England too... so possibly we can get around all the lost records in Ireland.)

Then there is the other groups of Gilpins who show being related via Y-DNA tests this group seem to originate in Ireland..

If you have a male cousin who descends from John Courtney Gilpin it would really help if he would Y-DNA test to confirm a relationship.

I hope this helps you.

Nelda Gilpin Percival
Doing a one name study on Gilpins
see http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~bonsteinandgilpin
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions