Search for content in message boards

Scranton, PA Manleys from Ireland

Scranton, PA Manleys from Ireland

Posted: 8 Sep 2001 9:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Jan 2002 4:00AM GMT
Surnames: Manley
I'm looking for any information at all about a large family of Manleys from Ireland who settled in Scranton, PA probably in the 1860s. John Manley (born around 1840) was my ancestor. I'm fairly sure his brothers were James and Peter, and may have include Thomas, Joseph, and/or Michael. I'm particularly interested in knowing from where in Ireland they might have come.

Re: Scranton, PA Manleys from Ireland

Posted: 9 Sep 2001 3:20AM GMT
Edited: 12 Mar 2002 4:11AM GMT
I am pretty sure my grandfather's name was James HE died when my father was 7 years old. I know i have relitives in Scranton. one of my Aunts is doing research on our family history.I will call her and and see if the information she has will help MY grandparents lived in Archbald.

Ann Dea-Hogan (View posts)
Posted: 9 Sep 2001 2:26PM GMT
Surnames: MCTIGUE, TIGUE, MANLEY, FOLEY, DEA, O'DEA
I am very interested in your posting on the MANLEY line. I am descended from GG Ellen Manley, who married Bernard McTIGUE. Many of the MCTIGUE, MANLEY and FOLEY clans came to PA in the 1860s. all from County Mayo, Glengad Parish. Some stayed in PA, some went to Massachusetts, but the majority moved to Anoka County, Minnesota. I have not connected all of the branches, but anyone with the MANLEY name in Anoka is related. I have census records, death certificates, etc. Some of the first names in your query appear in Anoka. Can you provide more information, dates, spouses, etc.? Or, I can provide attachments in an e-mail. ahogan@infi.net

Posted: 9 Sep 2001 9:39PM GMT
Surnames: Manley
Pete, I am still at a brick wall as to where all these Manley's in Scranton came from Have you definitely established that you ggmother was Ann Coleman.and not my ggmother Mary Coleman (both married John Manley's ) At any rate we are connected.I will keep you closely in touch with any findings and you do the same. Evalyn Manley Bennett

Posted: 10 Sep 2001 1:36AM GMT
Edited: 14 Jan 2002 4:00AM GMT
I think you have me confused with another Pete Manley who's researching this line. I'm Peter and I live in San Diego. I have determined that Mary Coleman was my gg grandmother. Did Ann Coleman and John Manley also live in Scranton?

Posted: 10 Sep 2001 1:47PM GMT
Surnames: Manley, Quinnan
I am also up against a brick wall searching the Pennsylvania Manley's.

My grandfather was Patrick Manley (b 1861) and he married Catherine Gilroy. They had 13 children: Patrick, Edward, Simon, Alexander, Anna, Joseph, Margaret, Ellen, Mary, William, John, Thomas, and Esther. The family was raised in Avoca, Pa. William (my father) married Marion Quinnan from Pittston, Pa. They settled in Buffalo, NY where I, and my brother Thomas, were born. Most of the children of Patrick and Catherine eventually also settled in the Western New York area.

The only thread of information that I have offering a clue of my family's origin beyond Grandfather Patrick is a ship's manifest (http://istg.rootsweb.com/18) which lists Ellen Manley and children. Ellen was shown as 27 years old at that time (1867). The children included Patrick, Ellen, Peter, Mary, and Michael. No father was listed (another ship?). I believe that Patrick was my grandfather.

I welcome any links to this family which anybody can offer.

Evalyn Manley Bennett (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2001 4:13PM GMT
Peter, I'm sorry I did get you confused with another Peter Manley. John Coleman and Anne Coleman married at St. Mary's of Mount Carmel in 1965. The Manley's and Coleman.s must have been very connected. My gfather was Frank Manley ,one of the many children of John and Mary.Let's keep in touch when we can discover more. I am also researching Ford,Hart, Walsh,and Needham's all from Scranton. Evalyn

Evalyn Manley Bennett (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2001 4:30PM GMT
William, I am sure there is a common links between all these Manley.s . My ggfather was born around 1840 in Ireland. He is listed in the 1910 census as being 70. He had many children including a son Peter. All these Manley's seem to have the same names. Two of my ggaunts Catherine Manley and Mary Manley Joint ended up in Lackawanna,N.Y.Catherine never married so she came to join her sister after her father John died. When I learn more I will let you know, please do the same. Evalyn

Posted: 29 Sep 2001 12:31AM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2001 12:12AM GMT
Surnames: McTigue, Tigue, Nilan, Hoban, Mitchell, Donahue, Armitage
Do you have any McTigue,Tigue, or Manley connection to Pittston Pa? My GG Grandfather Denis McTigue immigrated in 1870. I can't find out from which county in Ireland yet. His wife Mary Nilan immigrated in 1882. They had 9 children ans lived in the Browntown section of Pittston Twp. The name was changed to Tigue by the time the 1910 census was taken. All of the family seems to have worked in the mines, I would appreciate any information you may have. Thank you, Jack

Posted: 29 Sep 2001 1:07AM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2004 3:48AM GMT
I'm pretty sure there's a connection since some of the family settled there before movingon. Some of the PA folks moved from PA on to Wisconsin and and mine from PA, then Mass. to Minnesota. The dropping of the Mc also occurred in our family. I just haven't been able to connect yet. Michael Patrick Tigue (gg) was the son of Ellen Manley and Bernard McTigue, of County Mayo. I don't have a thing prior to 1863 and then only in the US. Sorry.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions