Search for content in message boards

VIRGINIA Waldens

VIRGINIA Waldens

Cheryl Rychkova (View posts)
Posted: 25 Dec 2000 7:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jan 2004 4:57PM GMT
Surnames: Walden, Ward
Anyone have information on the early Waldens in Virginia? I have traced my ancestry through Tabitha Walden, who married John Ward III, and have discovered that the immigrant, John Walden, was a younger son of a nobleman in England. The family manor house is apparently a museum now in the UK. Anyone know any more about this branch of the family? Thanks! :)

Virginia Waldens

Posted: 28 Dec 2000 5:34AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2004 5:01PM GMT
Surnames: Walden
For background material which is readily available, you might wish to read Early's CAMPBELL COUNTY CHRONICLES and Clements HISTORY OF PITTSYLVANIA COUNTY, VIRGINIA. Both authors have included a short article about the Walden family. My branch of the Walden family is down from John Walden who died in 1794 in Caroline CO, VA, leaving a will mentioning 12 children. His will is available on the usgenweb Caroline CO documents page. His manor house was known as Walden Towers but was burned many years ago. There is speculation that my John Walden is a younger brother of Richard Walden who settled in Pittsylvania Co.Other brothers probably include Charles Walden and Lewis Walden. I will be glad to exchange research.

Waldens of Virginia

Cheryl Rychkova (View posts)
Posted: 29 Dec 2000 6:42AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2004 5:04PM GMT
Thanks for your response! Yes, I am familiar with the Campbell County Chronicles and the Pittsylvania book, I guess I'm just wanting information that is not and probably never will be available, as in specifics! :) However, my Campbell/Pittsylvania Walden (Richard) and Tabitha, do descend from John of Walden Towers. Give me a few days to make the exact connection and I will be happy to share that info with you. By the way, do you have any information on John Walden, Walden Towers (I seem to recall the property is now part of a military installation.) When did it burn, is there a description available, and is there information about John's parents and ancestors in England. Thanks so much for writing!

Waldens of Virginia

Posted: 29 Dec 2000 7:04AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2004 5:06PM GMT
Surnames: Walden, Mays, Pendleton, Howard
John Walden's home, Walden Towers, burned at a time unknown to me; however, it is not a part of A. P. Hill Military Reservation, which is what I assume you referred to. The property is now owned by a commerical tree growing firm. Oddly enough, when I first viewed the property, knowning the manor house had burned, it was keenly moving that a column of smoke was rising in the distance from what seemed to be cuttings from downed trees. It was if I was looking at the house site after it had burned.
I am most interested in your assertion that Richard is a descendant of John Walden of Caroline CO. Richard Walden is not mentioned in the will of John Walden, which is so detailed. It is my firm belief that they are definitely related but I would suspect they are brothers, not father and son.
As mentioned I do not have a date on when the house burned but a review of the tax records might be helpful in determining that. I think the house was built after 1777, which I think is the date the property was acquired by Walden (see David Mays book on Edmund Pendleton).It is purported that the house was fashioned after Audley Castle but no paintings or pictures remain. I do have a sketch of the land with sketches of the location of the house and the outbuildings. The English ancestry is not yet proved. I do have quite a lot of information regarding the Walden family and also the Howard family but have been unable to make the absolute connection. If it will facilitate matters, e-mail me directly. I will be glad to share research with you.

the waldens

Posted: 26 Jan 2001 7:18PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jan 2004 4:17PM GMT
this my mothers side of the family. she died 2 years ago however she kept good records of the family. I have the last will of John Walden dated 1794 pretty interesting. 12 pages long. State of Virgina County of Carolina. I think he was a dr. I know he left alot of money in pounds and shellings also he left 1200 acres in the westward lands they now call kentucky. He had three slaves the youngest called charity valued at 30 pounds. The will is very detailed if it is any help please email

the waldens

Posted: 26 Jan 2001 7:18PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jan 2004 4:18PM GMT
this my mothers side of the family. she died 2 years ago however she kept good records of the family. I have the last will of John Walden dated 1794 pretty interesting. 12 pages long. State of Virgina County of Carolina. I think he was a dr. I know he left alot of money in pounds and shellings also he left 1200 acres in the westward lands they now call kentucky. He had three slaves the youngest called charity valued at 30 pounds. The will is very detailed if it is any help please email

The Waldens by James May

Posted: 26 Jan 2001 8:22PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jan 2004 4:18PM GMT
James: I would be interested in your mother's connection to the John Walden family. I do have a copy of his will but would certainly like to see a copy of the one your mother had. I would be interested in exchanging Walden information with you and see how we are related. Thank you very much for contacting me. Eldred Melton

the walden family

Posted: 27 Jan 2001 8:57AM GMT
Edited: 11 Jan 2004 4:19PM GMT
please contact me at email jamesjimmydog@aol.com to talk and share info about john walden

Waldens of Virginia

Posted: 15 Mar 2001 7:32PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2006 2:38AM GMT
Eldred, where can I find those books? Are they in the library? I believe that my grandfather's family goes back to John Walden of Caroline, Va also. I never knew any of my Walden family, so my search has been entirely what I can find on my own, no family to help. Anything you can share with me would be SO MUCH appreciated. You can contact me at judyh@cox-internet.com

Judy's question on Walden books.

Posted: 16 Mar 2001 5:27AM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2004 2:39AM GMT
Surnames: Walden, Early, Clements, Campbell, Hopkins
Judy, so far as I know, the books I have used in looking for Waldens are mainly, Campbell CO, VA Chronicles by Early; History of Pittsylvania CO, Va by Maude Clements; Caroline County, Virginia Records by KImberly Campbell, and Caroline County, Virginia County Records by William L. Hopkins. But most of the resources I have used have been census records, tax records, birth, death, and marriage records and a lot of family stuff.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic