Search for content in message boards

COX - MERRYMAN - GAIN

COX - MERRYMAN - GAIN

Carlene Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 28 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for birth and marriage info on Zebediah COX of Baltimore Co. MD, b.c. 1760 or before; possible son of Jacob Cox Jr. (1725-1798) and Elizabeth GAIN b. 1717/28 MD. Jacob was the son of Jacob COX and Elizabeth (MERRYMAN) COX. 1783 BaCo Tax List, North Hundred shows Zebediah Cox, Jacob Cox, Jacob Cox Jr. and Elijah Cox.

COX, GAIN, VAUGHN, MURRAY, TIPTON, WHEELER, BUSBY

Posted: 29 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
Thank you, Ron. Do you know if this Zeporah VAUGHN is the d/o Abraham and Edith (GIST) VAUGHN? I have a note that says Zebediah COX b.c. 1742 m. by 1770 Miss VAUGHN b.c. 1746, d/o Abraham.

This Zebediah COX of Baltimore Co., s/o Jacob & Elizabeth GAIN seems to fit the Zebediah on the 1820 Harrison Co. OH census. He had a daughter Ziporah. His wife must have died for in 1822 he married Charlotte BUSBY and she bore him a son just before his 1825 death.

I descend from his son Zebediah Jr. b.c. 1776 MD who m. Keturah TIPTON 1802 in Jefferson Co. OH.

For Elisha COX b.c. 1757-60, I have a death date of 21 May 1837 Ba.Co. MD. Also Wheeler MURRAY d. 1816 BaCo. MD, s/o Jabez MURRAY and Mary WHEELER (m. 11 Jan. 1724/25.)

Do you have dates for the Jacob Cox BaCo. will?

You made my day. The pieces are finally falling into place.

COX, GAIN, VAUGHN, MURRAY

COX,GAIN,VAUGHN

Edited: 2 May 2002 9:10AM GMT
Zebediah COX of Baltimore Co. was son of Jacob COX and Elizabeth GAIN who m. 13 Dec. 1744. Zebediah was the first named child in his father's will, so he may have been the eldest son and b. c. 1745-1748. He m. Zeporah VAUGHN.

The names of Zebadiah COX and Ziporah COX appear in the 1820s in Harrison Co., OH records, but they may not be the same ones as above.

Zebediah's brother Elijah and Elijah's wife Elizabeth (nee Gill) were in Sullivan Co. NC by 16 Sept. 1790 (Gill Abstracts, p. 37)

I descend from Zebediah's brother Elisha (b. 1757-1760?) who m. Aberilla MURRAY, d/o Wheeler MURRAY and Ruth ____.

COX, BUSBY, VAUGHN, WISNER, PRICE

Posted: 30 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
Except for a few years difference in age, it's quite possible that the Charlotte BUSBY [b.c. 1791] age 8 in the 1799 BaCo. Orphans Court record, is the one that m. Zebediah COX in 1822. She may have been living with them in 1820. Here's the rundown:

1820 - Zeb COX age 45 ; eldest female 45 [Zeporah?]
1 male age 10-16; 1 female age 16-26 [Charlotte?]

Feb. 11, 1822 - Zeb COX m. Charlotte BUSBY

June 1825 - Harrison Co. Will of Zeb COX names wife Charlotte, youngest son Harrison, and 3 grown children [with land]: Zebediah Jr., Elijah and Zeiporah; also Sherdaine [b.c. 1803], eldest son of Zeb Jr.

1830-1840 - Charlotte COX age 30-40, 40-50 respectively.

1850 - Charlotte age 53 liv/w Harrison age 25 and his family.

John BUSBY Jr. (b.c. 1780 MD-1854 OH) lived near the COX family with wife Agnes WISNER.
John's parents were John BUSBY Sr. (d. 1791 BaCo. MD) and Edith PRICE, d/o Benjamin PRICE and Millicent VAUGHN. They had 9 children but Providence BUSBY, dec'd mother of Charlotte, was not among the names.
She may have been a sister-in-law of John ?

Melinda BUSBY (1775-1848), d/o John and Edith, m. Sheridan COX (1771 MD - 1836 Carroll Co. OH).

I don't know who the parents of Sheridan COX are but he lived near Zeb COX until shortly after 1830 and he named one of his sons Zebediah [b.c. 1801].

Thank you. Your info has added a lot to think about on this family.

COX, VAUGHN, BUSBY, MILLER

Posted: 30 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 May 2002 9:10AM GMT
Records re Abraham VAUGHN and his wife Edith GIST show that they had a daughter who m. Zebediah COX.

The dated of Jacob COX, Sr.'s will are 24 June and 31 July 1798 (Balto. Co. Wills, book 6, p. 121).

This from Balto. Co. Orphans Court Indentures, book WB #B, p. 74:
Indenture dated 1 July 1799, Charlotte BUSBY, 8 years old, daughter of Providence BUSBY, deceased, late of Balto. Co., bound by [her brother? this needs to be clarified] John BUSBY, nearst kin in blood. To learn the trade of housework, until 16 years old, bound to Zeporah COX wife of Zebediah COX. This indenture was signed by Charlotte Busby (X) and Zebediah COX.

So, perhaps Charlotte b. c. 1791 was the Charlotte BUSBY who m. Zebediah 11 Feb. 1822 in Harrison Co., OH and had a daughter Ziporah before his death in 1825. Charlotte had a sister named Ann(a) who was on 1 Oct. 1795, and she was bound to Elizabeth, wife of Wm. MILLER. This latter family may have migrated to Perry or Fairfield Co., OH.

Zeb COX signed the Oath of Allegiance in 1778 [indicating that he was b. by 1760], although his name was shown as Zex or Gex. I don't think he was a signatory to the 1768 Joppa Petition.

BUSBY

Lynda Troutt Murphy (View posts)
Posted: 31 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
Do you have any information on Sophronia Busby that married William H. Page July 18, 1844 in Bedford County, Virginia?

COX , VAUGHN ,BUSBY, MILLER

Patricia Leo (View posts)
Posted: 31 May 1998 12:00PM GMT
IHAVE BEEN READING THE CONNECTION ON THE COX'S IN BALTIMORE COUNTY .I ALSO HAVE A COX IN MY FAMILY TREE ,AND WONDER IF THEY COULD BE CONNECTED. THE FATHER WAS WILLIAM HENNING THEY LIVED IN WASHINGTON, DC. WIFE NETTIE URSULA THORN (E) ONE OF THEIR CHILDREN (MARIE HENNING )BORN IN DC SHE MARRIED AN EDWARD COX AND HAD HAD A CHILD BY THE NAME OF EVELYN COX . THE TIME FRAME IS IN THE 1835 TO PRESENT IF ANY OF THESE NAMES RING A BELL OR ARE SOME HOW CONNECTED TO THE COXES IN BALITMORE PLEASE LET ME KNOW. ALSO IN MY NOTES MARIE WAS MARRIED A SECOND TIME AND TO A ROBERT GREEN THEY LIVED IN CLINTON MARYLAND THEY HAD SEVERAL SONS WHICH i HAVE NO NAMES OF THERE SONS ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECITED

THANKS PATRICA LEO

BUSBEY, RIDGAWAY, HERRING

Emma Busbey Ditman (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
I am researching my Busbey ancestors who lived in Maryland, and I have collected bits of information about a number of Busbys in Baltimore/Carroll Co MD area in the 1700-1800s. Today I found your discussion of Busbys in this thread, which includes some of the names I have come across. It is the very first time I have found anyone else who has done any research on Busbey/Busby families in Maryland! My family usually spells the name with an "e", but it sometimes appears without it.

I have traced my family to a John Busbey who was born in MD in 1799, married Catherine Herring, lived near Hanover PA, directly north of Carroll Co, MD about 10 miles over the state line, from about 1825-1875 where he was occupied as a merchant and raised a large family, living in Manchester, Carroll Co MD in 1890 census, died in Manchester in 1891. He had sons John 1829 and Abraham 1831, and daughters Louisa abt 1826, Rebecca abt 1827, Catharine abt 1833, Josephine abt 1836, Mary Ann abt 1838, Isabella abt 1841, Rosilla abt 1843, Ann M abt 1846, and with second wife Margaret Lingg: Lucretia abt 1859, Elenora abt 1862. His son Abraham is probably my father's grandfather. He married Jennie C. Russell in Baltimore in 1857, had children: Mary 1859, [and probably also my grandfather and great-uncle] John M & William W Busbey in 1861 and/or 1862 (maybe twins). We haven't found any mention of Abraham after 1860 census. He seems to have died when Jennie was young enough to remarry, becasue Jennie's last name was House at the time she died abt 1920. My grandfather, John M Busbey, was an engineer on the Illinois Central RR when he married my grandmother, Emma Joyner, in Baltimore in 1892, and William was living with his wife Nettie in Cairo IL in 1900. Wm died in Chicago abt 1929. My father, Ridgaway Joyner Busbey, was born in Centralia IL 1895. They returned to Emma's home town of Easton MD in 1896, and my family has been in MD ever since. I am searching for a connection between John Busbey of Hanover and the Carroll Co. Busbeys/Busbys. There are so many John Busbys to sort out!

BUSBEY

Emma Busbey Ditman (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jun 1998 12:00PM GMT
That must surely be the John Busbey we are looking for. One of the items we found about him in the Hanover Public Library is that he taught blacksmithing to a local resident. Please do send me the WP documentt. Also I am looking for information about his son Abraham, who I believe is probably my father's grandfather, but we need more evidence.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions