Search for content in message boards

Major Church Alford

Major Church Alford

Tiffany Harmon (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2001 6:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Alford; Sims; Gainer; Hatcher; Newman; Bankston
I'm trying to find any information on my great grandfather Major Church (M.C.) Alford. Here's what I know about him:

M.C. Alford (b:7-21-1861 Mabon, Mississippi; d:1-16-1917 Singer, Louisiana)
Maried Lulu Sims (b:7-24-1874 Newton, Alabama; d:12-26-1918 Singer, Louisiana), daughter of Sarah Virginia Lee and Barry Allison Sims, on 12-19-1893 in Warren, Texas
They had five children:
(1) Minnie Sibyl Alford (b:5-6-1896 Warren, TX) who married B.F. Gainer/Gaynor -- had 2 children, Laura and Frank
(2) Major Fitzhugh Alford (b:8-9-1898 Warren, TX) who married Lucilla Hatcher -- had 2 children, Lorraine and Eloise
(3) Harry Comer Alford (b:5-27-1901 Warren, TX) who married Pearl Newman in 1925 -- had 2 children, HC and Louise
(4) L.B. Alford (b:1-31-1903 Warren, TX) who married Allee ?? -- had 2 children, Maurice and Wallace
(5) Bernice Alford (b:private) who married Iddo Burt Bankston -- had 2 children, Virginia and Sarah

My grandmother is Bernice Alford Bankston. She is still alive and kicking. Doesn't remember much about her father, as both MC and Lulu died when she was very young, and was raised by her sister. The only thing she does remember is that MC had a brother Jack Alford.

If anyone has information on his parents/ancestors/siblings, it would be greatly appreciated. I would love to pull something together for my Grandma sometime in the next year. Thanks!
--Tiffany Harmon

Re: Major Church Alford

Dennis Elmore (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2002 10:33PM GMT
This seems to be a son of Churchwell Alford of Maben, MS. The names fit. Churchwell had a brother named Major. Churchwell is buried in Maben, MS with a Civil War headstone. If this seems to fit I can provide more info on the family.

Posted: 18 Jan 2002 11:10PM GMT
Surnames: Alford
Yes, this is the same family. Any information you have would be greatly appreciated. My email is th4evrhoo@aol.com
--Tiffany

Posted: 18 Jan 2002 11:10PM GMT
Surnames: Alford
Yes, this is the same family. Any information you have would be greatly appreciated. My email is th4evrhoo@aol.com
--Tiffany

Posted: 19 Jan 2002 4:25PM GMT
Churchwell Alford and wife Sarah had four known children.

Little Green Alford b. 1853
Henry C. Alford b. 1855
John Houston Alford b. 1860
Major C. Alford b. 1862? (My information)

I have scant information on these families. Nothing on Henry, John or Major. Little married Jane and they had four children, namely Martha J., Minnie A., Houston, and Sabney. Martha J. married Guy North. That is the extent of my information on Churchwell's family.

Churchwell was the fourth son of Little Berry Alford and Mary Butler. Little Berry and Mary married in 1822 in Wake County, NC, all of ther seven children were born in AL, and came to Mississippi in the mid 1840s. They lived the remainder of their life on the place they came to near Maben, MS. Little Berry died in 1878and Mary in 1898-1900. Their burial place in not known, bur Old Pisgah Cemetery near Dancy, MS is presumed.

Children of Mary and Little Berry:

William H. Alford 1824-1898 married Jane. They had no children

Monroe Alford 1826-1864 married Louisa Matthews. They had two children. James and Roxianna.

Solomon B. Alford 1828-1907 never married but had a black misterss with several acknowledged children. Lots of stories.

Churchwell Alford 1830-1907 married 1 Sarah and had the four children. She died in 1869 and Churchwell next married 2 Sarah Kelley. No children

Nancy Alford 1832-1914 married Isham Warren Berry and had 2 children.

John Alford 1835-1915 married 1 Mary Bishop and had two children. She died in 1869 and he next married her sister 2 Martha Bishop. They had two children.

Lucy Alford 1836- aft 1870 never married.

Major Alford 1838-aft 1900 married Amanda had one son.

Thomas Alford 1840-aft 1900 married Vesta Palmer had seven children. Vesta died and he married Deliah Palmer, Vesta's sister. They moved to Texas in 1898.

I have extensive information on the descendants of Nancy and John, little on the rest of the children.

Also I can't find Little Berry's parents.

I will send more later.

Posted: 19 Jan 2002 4:29PM GMT
Churchwell Alford and wife Sarah had four known children.

Little Green Alford b. 1853
Henry C. Alford b. 1855
John Houston Alford b. 1860 Is this Jack?
Major C. Alford b. 1862? (My information)

I have scant information on these families. Nothing on Henry, John or Major. Little married Jane and they had four children, namely Martha J., Minnie A., Houston, and Sabney. Martha J. married Guy North. That is the extent of my information on Churchwell's family.

Churchwell was the fourth son of Little Berry Alford and Mary Butler. Little Berry and Mary married in 1822 in Wake County, NC, all of their nine children were born in AL, and came to Mississippi in the mid 1840s. They lived the remainder of their life on the place they came to near Maben, MS. Little Berry died in 1878 and Mary in 1898-1900. Their burial place in not known, bur Old Pisgah Cemetery near Dancy, MS is presumed.

Children of Mary and Little Berry:

William H. Alford 1824-1898 married Jane. They had no children

Monroe Alford 1826-1864 married Louisa Matthews. They had two children. James and Roxianna. Monroe was killed in Civil War in Atlanta, GA.

Solomon B. Alford 1828-1907 never married but had a black misterss with several acknowledged children. Lots of stories.

Churchwell Alford 1830-1907 married 1 Sarah and had the four children. She died in 1869 and Churchwell next married 2 Sarah Kelley. No children

Nancy Alford 1832-1914 married Isham Warren Berry and had 2 children.

John Alford 1835-1915 married 1 Mary Bishop and had two children. She died in 1869 and he next married her sister 2 Martha Bishop. They had two children.

Lucy Alford 1836- aft 1870 never married.

Major Alford 1838-aft 1900 married Amanda had one son.

Thomas Alford 1840-aft 1900 married Vesta Palmer had seven children. Vesta died and he married Deliah Palmer, Vesta's sister. They moved to Texas in 1898.

I have extensive information on the descendants of Nancy and John, little on the rest of the children.

Also I can't find Little Berry's parents.

I will send more later.

Posted: 23 Jan 2002 8:51AM GMT
Edited: 8 Sep 2002 8:14PM GMT
CHECK MESSAGE, ALFORDS IN LA. BY CARRIE, DATED 12/10/2001 SHE MENTIONS MAJOR ALFORD

AL ALFORD
per page

Find a board about a specific topic