Search for content in message boards

James GARNER

James GARNER

Posted: 15 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Jun 2003 7:43PM GMT
Surnames: GARNER
Seeking information on James Garner b. 1662, Cople Parish, Westmoreland Co., VA d. 1748, Isle of Wight Co., VA.

Re: James GARNER

Miriam (View posts)
Posted: 31 Dec 2001 9:55AM GMT
Surnames: Garner,Berkley
Hello, I wondered if you knew if James Garner had a daughter by the name of Jane who married William Berkley.I think she died relatively young and was born about 1693 in Westmoreland.Thanks very much.

Posted: 31 Dec 2001 1:30PM GMT
Miriam: The LDS records for this James state that he was married in Isle of Wight Co. in 1684. No Jane is listed among his children. I cannot verify this. I have always been curious about this man. I do know he died in Isle of Wight. If he was born in Westmoreland Co., it could provide a link between my Garner line (Isle of Wight) and that of John Garner (Garner-Keene).

Miriam (View posts)
Posted: 31 Dec 2001 10:48PM GMT
Surnames: Garner
Thanks for replying,James.My Jane is difficult to also find - these Garners are pretty elusive,aren't they?Have a great New Year.

Posted: 12 Feb 2002 4:20PM GMT
Surnames: GARNER, ROGERS
I do not have info. on James Garner but am following my ROGERS line from Surry and Westmoreland Counties in Virginia. The Garners have a long relationship with the Rogers family going back at least to Moore Co., NC in the late 1700's and then to Blount Co., TN by 1837. I would like to see if the relationship goes farther back into Virginia.

From Surry and Westmoreland Co., VA branches of my Rogers have gone to Johnston Co, NC around 1750, Edgecombe Co., NC around 1780, Wake Co., NC 1790, to Blount Co., TN around 1800. They intermarried with GARNERs and Cagles from Moore Co., NC among others. There is a city named Garner, NC just south of Raleigh, NC in Wake Co.

If any of this seems to match your information please contact me. I have a list of many Garners from the late 1700's forward (mostly in Blount Co., TN).

Cheers,
Ralph Bicknese

Posted: 14 Feb 2002 2:22PM GMT
Ralph: This is interesting. Simeon Garner, the eldest son of my gggg-grandfather Needham Garner, married Rachel Rogers in Dobbs Co., NC before 1790. Rachel was the daughter of William Rogers, who later migrated to Orange Co., NC. My Garners came to NC from Isle of Wight Co., VA.

Ralph Bicknese (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2002 4:52PM GMT
Surnames: ROGERS, GARNER, CAGLE (KAGLE), ORMAN (AUMAN), DAVIS
James:

I do not list any of the Garners you mentioned but they may still be related to mine. Here is some of the Garner family I have going back to NC:

Eli Garner, Sr., (11 Jan 1814, NC, to 4 May 1900, TN); married 12 jan 1837 Blount Co., TN, Elizabeth Rogers (28 May 1821 Blount Co., TN, to 24 Apr 1894 Blount Co., TN).

Eli's parents were Adam Garner (1 Jan 1792 to 20 Nov 1874) married 1813, Delitha Rogers (1 Dec 1791 to 17 Jul 1867).

Adam and Delitha also had a son Adam Garner b ca 1824, married 28 May 1855, Blount Co., TN, Telitha Rogers b. 1827 (sister of his brother's wife Elizabeth).

Elizabeth and Telitha Rogers' parents were Jesse Rogers (1790 Guilford or Wake Co., NC to 31 Mar 1855, Blount Co., TN) and May Celia Cagle (Kagle) (b. 1800 Moore Co., NC to 4 May 1870, Blount Co., TN). The Cagle family was centered in Moore and Randolph Counties in NC from about 1750 on. They also married intothe Orman (Auman) family from the area. The Ormans also connect to my Rogers and Davis lines into Blount Co., TN.

Some of the older of my Garner line includes a Leaner Garner b 1819 married to Thomas Rogers, b. 1807. They lived in Sevier Co., NC one county north of Blount Co. Thomas' parents were James Rogers b 1870 and Anna Blair.

Perhaps some of this connects with your Garners. I would like to hear more about yours including dates for those you mentioned. Cheers!

Posted: 14 Jun 2003 1:07PM GMT
Edited: 5 Aug 2003 9:23PM GMT
Surnames: ROGERS, GREENS, FIELDS, ROWLANDS, CAGLES
Don't mean to intrude, but when I saw the surnames of ROGERS, CAGLES, and GARNER I had to post.

My line of Rogers were in Anson Co. NC by 1774 on petitions and court records in that county. By 1779 the northern part of ANSON became MONTGOMERY CO. NC where the ROGERS lived along Long Creek, Riles Creek, and Curl Tail Creek up by the ROWAN CO and MONTGOMERY CO. NC Border in what is today STANLY "CO. NC.

The Cagles too were in that region as were the GARNERS too, I believe. Our Rogers married Cagles and the Garners are in other collatoral lines of our Rogers later on. By 1823 our William Rogers b. 1770 Montgomery Co. NC moved his wife Nancy Unknown ( whom some listed as CHEATHAM maiden name ) and their 11 children ( some grown with wives and children ) to Carroll Co. TN. Our first known TN record of WILLIAM ROGERS/RODGERS is his jury Duty in Carroll Co. TN in Dec. 1823. The Cagles too moved to TN, some in Carroll Co. TN and some in Hickman Co. TN. The Garners too had married into other lines who also moved into those same general areas or over in eastern part of TN. Carroll Co. TN is in the western part of TN.

The interesting naming pattern of our Rogers included the first names for the females as PURITY ROGERS, DRUCILLA ROGERS, MARY FRANCIS ROGERS, and MARTHA ROGERS. The names for male members of our Rogers that repeated are GREEN BERRY ROGERS, BASIL ROGERS, JAMES or JAMES FRANKLIN ROGERS, WILLIAM ROGERS.

Our first known Rogers is a JAMES ROGERS b. bet. 1700-1720 ( Unknown place ) and he is first found in our NC records in that 1774 Anson Co. NC Petition along with his son, JAMES ROGERS, JR. b. abt. 1746 Anson Co. NC. It is said in the library files of our Rogers in Stanly Co. NC that our JAMES ROGERS, Sr. b. bet. 1700-1720 was either the son or brother of JOHN ROGERS, the ULSTER-SCOT who came down out of Philadelphia PA to NC along the Old Wagon Road and had settled in year 1732, along Back Creek at junction of ROCKY RIVER in what is today Cabarrus Co. NC. This trip must have taken him through VA and he must have lived in that region for a bit, before coming on down the road into NC.

As Anson and Montgomery Co's NC ( now Stanly Co. NC where so many of these same names lived that you mentioned ) it is curious to know if there are any other connections between the ROGERS of VA and the ROGERS of that area of Anson, Montgomery, Stanly, or Cabarrus Co. NC. If anyone has information that they might connect to the CAGLES, ROGERS, GARNERS of that area of NC, please post.

Tina Rogers Beller jkpb3@bellsouth.net

GARNER-ROGERS

James Garner (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 2003 9:10PM GMT
Tina: There may, indeed, be a connection here. My ancestor Needham Garner's oldest son married Rachel Rogers, daughter of William Rogers, in Dobbs Co., NC. Simeon and Rachel were both born in 1770. Rachel's father migrated west to what was then Orange Co., NC., as did some Garners and other related families. Form there they spread out in the western counties. I believe the Garners and Rogers had even earlier connections. My Garners came to Northampton Co., NC from Isle of Wight Co., VA and thence to Dobbs (Lenoir) Co. and thence to Duplin Co., NC. I'm sorry, but I missed Mr. Bicknese's reply to my original post. I know there are connections between these families, but the early records are scarce. The NC land grants have been one of my best tools in tracking these migrations.
Good Luck,
Jim Garner

Posted: 19 Aug 2012 8:36AM GMT
I am searching for a Green B. Garner, b-before 1780 in NC., or GA., d-after 1849 maybe in Pulaski Co, IL. His wife
was Sarah Calvin, d-1847 maybe in Pulaski Co, IL.
They had three children that I know of, Polly Garner, Young D. Garner, b-1805-NC., or GA., d-Pulaski Co, IL.,and Green P. Garner, b-1814, d-IL.

I am trying to prove that Green B. Garner and wife, Sarah
Calvin were the parents of my gg-grandmother,
Elizabeth "Eliza" Ann Jane (Garner) Miller-James,
b-21-Jan-1825-IL., d-15-Feb-1907-Pulaski Co, IL.
Eliza was married first to Michael Miller, b-1820-Union Co, IL., d-11-Nov-1847-Alexander Co, IL., and second to Samuel James in 1849.
Mary Jane Miller, b-Oct-1843-Anna, Union Co, IL.,d-6-Feb-1901 was Eliza and Michael Miller's daughter.
Mary Jane Miller married Charles W. Cook,b-1834-NC., d-29-Jan-1916-Anna, Union Co, IL., (my g-grandparents).
Does Green B. Garner sound familiar ?

Also I have a relative, Narcissa/Narsisas Cook, b-1817-NC.,
d-1873-NC.,who married a Seth Rodger/Rogers on 1-June-1836-
Cabarrus Co, NC. Seth Rodgers was b-1803-Cabarrus Co, NC.
Their children were, Robert Rodgers, b-abt 1837-Pope Co, IL., d-18-Sept-1864, Addison Rodgers, b-abt 1846-Cabarrus Co, NC., and James Rodgers, b-abt 1851-NC.
Seth and Narcissa went to the Poplar Tent Church, then went to the First Presbyterian Church, in Concord, Cabarrus Co, NC., where Narcissa was buried in their cemetery.
Narcissa's parents were, Daniel Cook, b-1790/91-NC., d-1850-1853-Union Co, IL., and first wife, Martha Brumley, 1790-1827-NC.
There are still living family from Daniel and Martha's descendants living in Concord, Cabarrus Co, NC.
Daniel's second wife was Jane Jemima Kennerly, b-1806-Cabarrus Co, NC.,d-1882-Jonesboro Precinct, Union Co, IL.
Also the Charles W. Cook mentioned above and married to Mary Jane Miller daughter of Michael Miller and wife, Elizabeth "Eliza" Ann Jane (Garner) Miller-James was also
the son of Daniel Cook, listed below who was first married to Martha Brumley.
Charles W. Cook was from Daniel Cook's second marriage, to Jane Jemima Kennerly. I am from this second marriage.
Descendants from both of Daniel Cook's marriages search and share info together.

We are still searching for the parents and siblings for Daniel Cook, Martha Brumley, Green B. Garner and Elizabeth
"Eliza" Ann Jane (Garner) Miller-James. Eliza also went by the name of Eliza Garner James and Eliza Jane James in her obit, Eliza Ann Garner in her first marriage, Eliza Jane Miller in her second marriage, and Elizabeth James and Eliza J. James on census records. There are no census records showing Eliza and her first husband, Michael Miller together since Michael died in 1847 and census records did not list all family members until 1850.

Do these Garner, Rodgers/Rogers (have seen it spelled both ways) Cook and Brumley, names sound familiar ?

Would like to hear from family or anyone who has info and is willing to share.

Thank you,
loiscypert34
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions