Search for content in message boards

Oscar Cowan and Oliver Abbott, of Rockland, Knox County, Maine

Oscar Cowan and Oliver Abbott, of Rockland, Knox County, Maine

Posted: 12 Jun 2012 2:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cowan, Abbott
In 1940 there was an Oscar Cowan, age 58, living at 7 Pink Street in Rockland. His "son", Oliver Abbott, age 31, was also in the household. Oscar is also in the Rockland City Directories for 1936, 1937, and 1942.

Does anyone have further information about either of these two men?

Thank you,
Ed Hamilton

Re: Oscar Cowan and Oliver Abbott, of Rockland, Knox County, Maine

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 4:22PM GMT
What kind of information are you looking for? I am going to the state library/archives this week and can look to see if certain records exist.

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 5:17PM GMT
Thank you for replying.

I would especially like to know if there are birth or death records for either of those two men using those names. If so, what information is on them. Could you transcribe it if you don't mind.
I have found no birth or marriage records on line for either of them.

I suspect Oscar Cowan might be an alias for William Page, my wife's grandfather, who left his wife and family in 1927 while in Roxbury, (Boston) MA. His father's name was Oscar and his mother's maiden name was Cowan. He is the same age as "Oscar Cowan" and the Pages/Paiges were from Bangor and Brewer.

I have not found a trace of him afterwards, even when I had access to the microfilm of the actual Maine records at the genealogy society.

For more on the background of the mystery: I put an article on my blog at: http://oldohiohome.blogspot.com/2012/10/oscar-cowan-rockland....

Thanks again. Me, my wife, and her family would greatly appreciate an answer if you find anything. you could post it here or email me at
edhamilton9
--at--
gmail --dot-- com.

Or leave a comment on the blog.

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 5:28PM GMT
What genealogy society did you do your research at? I'll see what I can find for you at the archives. Why does his son have the last name of Abbott?

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 5:40PM GMT
I belonged to the New England Historic and Genealogical Society in Boston for a few years. They have the Maine VR on microfilm. I also went to the Mass. Registry. They let you do your own research in the current records.
I have no idea why the surnames are different. Just a theory that Oliver's mother's maiden or married name at the time of his birth was Abbott, but his father was actually William Page.
The Pages were in Bangor/Brewer from forever until 1882, then again from 1903 or so until 1919. Thus the tie to the area.

Posted: 20 Feb 2013 11:58PM GMT
Sorry to report that we looked in the vital records at the state archives, and we couldn't even find a Cowen, nevermind an Oscar Cowen. We also tried finding a birth record for Oliver Abbott and could not find one of those either.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 3:04AM GMT
Thank you for looking. It always helps to eliminate possibilities, even if you don't find anything. In a way, it is a bit more proof that this "Oscar Cowan" was an alias of William Page, and was never born, married, or died using that name.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic