Search for content in message boards

john brown - the abolitionist

john brown - the abolitionist

cecilia l. jaedicke (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2000 11:23AM GMT
searching for descendants and ancestors of john and family. wives are dianthe lusk (not luck) and mary ann Day (not little). there were 20 children born to him and his wives and only 11 reached adulthood with 3 dying as a result of his raids and 2 not marrying. Owen and his three wives gave him 16 children. his father John and Hannah (owen) only had five children. there are 36 known ancestors to john and hannah. the common link is Mary Eggleston. daughter of James and Hester (nee KELSEY) williams.

Re: John Brown the abolitionist

Posted: 21 Aug 2000 4:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Jan 2013 2:53PM GMT
John Brown is a cousin of mine on the Owen side of the family. You will find his Owen ancestry in Stiles, Ancient History of Windsor (CT), Vol 2. If you can't find it let me know and I will try and furnish as much information as I can.

Re: John Brown the abolitionist

Posted: 29 Aug 2000 7:23PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2013 2:52PM GMT
I am a descendant of Capt. John Brown and Hannah Owen, through their daughter Roxana Brown. John, the abolitionist would have been an uncle or cousin of mine.

Re: John Brown jr.

Betty Celmer (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2000 2:37PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2013 2:51PM GMT
Does anyone know any info on John Brown Jr.? I have a picture of my grandfather George Brown and he looks exactly like John Brown Sr. Also my gr-father's grandfather was a John Brown married to a Eliza (Mumaw) not sure of spelling. They lived on the now famous John Brown Farm in the 1800's not sure of exact date. PLEASE feel free to e-mail me @ bcelmer@nauticom.com Thank You

Re: John Brown's sisters?

Judy Smith (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2000 8:05AM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2013 2:53PM GMT
Brett, do you have a relative of John Brown by the name of Rachel? Rachel's death cert. lists her father as Hezwkiah Brown and Judett (Judith ?) Duncan as her mother. Other family members who remember Rachel tell me that she claimed to be the sister of John Brown the Abolitionist. Two cousins look almost identical to a picture of him I found on line. To date, I have not been able to find any proof of this claim.

Re: John Brown relationships

Alice (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2001 7:42PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2013 2:49PM GMT
I am a Great Great Great Great grand-daughter of JB.. His daugther Anne is my relation. I have found the beginings of information all the way back to the 1500's. Willing to exchange information

Re: Mary Brown m. John Powers

Posted: 19 Jan 2001 4:00PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2013 2:49PM GMT
My GGGgrandmother was Mary (Polly) Brown who
was married to John Powers. She had sisters
Nancy and Abigail. By reading their letters
they were cousins of John Brown. We have never been able to find the relationship.
Can you help?

Re: Mary Brown m. John Powers

Alice (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2001 7:38PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2013 2:50PM GMT
I don't have aconnection right now in my files, but I will add the names to my research list and let you know when I do find something

Re: Ruth Brown

Merry (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 2001 8:50AM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2013 2:51PM GMT
I am a descendent through Ruth Brown, John and Dianthe's first daughter. She married Henry Thompson. My grandfathers grandmother is their daughter, Ella Thompson. Ella married Henry Towne. Their daughter is my great-grandmother, Adelaine Towne. She married John Clausen. My grandfather is their son.

My grandfather is 93 next week and very knowledgable about the Brown family. He has taken us to visit Osawatoomie, their home in Pennsylvania, the library in Ohio, Harper's Ferry and the grave near Lake Placid. Ella, my grandfather's grandmother, remembers John Brown, her grandfather.

Re: John Brown's sisters?

Posted: 5 Nov 2005 4:56PM GMT
did you ever find any information? What is Rachels last name and info thanks Eva
per page

Find a board about a specific topic