Search for content in message boards

Michael Tierney Convict Sent To Australia

Michael Tierney Convict Sent To Australia

Posted: 28 Sep 2008 4:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know about Michael Tierney tried in Kings County Ireland March 1835 sent to AU on the Lady McNaughton.Sentence 7 years.Married-1 boy-1 girl. I am trying to find out if he was a brother to my GGgrandfather.

JERRY TIERNEY gpt123@up.net

Re: Michael Tierney Convict Sent To Australia

Posted: 3 Jan 2009 12:17PM GMT
Hi Jerry,

He is my 3 x Great Grandfather! I am a descendant from his 2nd marriage to Ellen Hickey in Sydney July 29, 1844. I dont know much about his life before comming to Australia

I am not currently a financial member so I am not familiar with the protocol..but I cant wait to talk more.. you are only the 2nd person to enquire after Michael Tierney
Kind regards
Brett Souter

Posted: 18 Jan 2009 6:57AM GMT
Surnames: Tierney, Cormie, Marshall, Wiseman,Mcclumpha,
Hi Jerry, I am a decendant of a Michael Tierney who was born in Limerick Ireland. It is believed that he was transported to Australia for a period of 7 yrs and he married a Catherine Cormie in Armidale NSW. However they had 7 children. I don't know if this is a match with your inquiry. What was your GG's name?

Posted: 18 Jan 2009 12:25PM GMT
Hi Adele-The Michael Tierney that I am trying to find was found guilty of a firearms offence in Kings County, March 1835 and transported on the Lady McNaughton. He was married at the time having both a son and daughter. I am trying to find out if he could be a brother of my great-great grandfather TIMOTHY TIERNEY tried in Tipperary March 1835 on a similar charge and off to Australia for life. He died in 1872-I have a death certificate regarding that. You did not mention what ship your Michael was on. It would be nice if your Michael is the one I am seeking. Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my message.

JERRY TIERNEY gpt123@up.net

Posted: 21 Feb 2010 6:01AM GMT
Hi,
I have just seen your message. Michael Tierney & Catherine Cormie were my husband's great great grandparents. Their son Charles had a daughter Florence Tierney Eadie who was my husband's grandmother. I havn't found info that Michael was a convict. Can you verify? However, I recently discovered that Catherine's father George Cormie was possibly transported to NSW around 1827. Would like to hear from you.
Marjorie

Posted: 21 Feb 2010 9:42PM GMT
Please send me your email address and I will send you an attachment regarding the arrival of Michael Tierney on the convict ship-- McNaughten-- arriving in Sydney 26 Oct 1835.

JERRY TIERNEY

Posted: 21 Feb 2010 9:50PM GMT
please send me attachement about Michael Tierney convict. My email is lilalevinson at yahoo dot com

Posted: 24 Feb 2010 12:02AM GMT
Hi Jerry. I have a copy of the Schedule of deaths in the district of St. Arnaud in the colony of Victoria 1888. This is the year my husband's gg grandfather died. This is a copy obtained through the BMD registry office in Melbourne. It contains quite a lot of useful information. Accordingly this Michael Tierney was about 3 years old when he arrived in Australia. I have not come across any suggestion that his parents Patrick and/or Bridget Reynolds Tierney were convicts. Also have a schedule of death of Catherine Cormie Tierney who died in Melbourne in 1928. Marjorie

Posted: 29 Dec 2010 2:17PM GMT
Hi Jerry, since posting the original message I have discovered that my Michael Tierney DOB 2/10/1833 was born in Limerick Ireland, and baptised at St.John's R.C Church Limerick Ireland he died 1/8/1888, buried at St. Arnauld Cemetery Vic Aus. He was the son of Patrick Tierney (born Clondalkin Dublin Irl)and Bridget Reynolds. Michael came out to Australia on the ship the Hive and then the Zebra with his parents and sister Margaret. Patrick was a soldier in the 28th regiment and the family later settled in the Armidale NSW area. During the gold rush Michael and his wife Catharine Cormie moved to Vic. Michael was a boundry rider by occupation at Cope Cope Station near St. Arnauld Vic.

My brother over 10 years ago had found,a Michael Tierney who was transported from Ireland to Aus for 7 yrs from Tipperary. (1 x article with limited info for memory.) However this is not the Michael Tierney from which we decend, as I have since discovered. The Pioneer Register of New England(NSW) is a valuable source for Patrick Tierney and Bridget Reynolds offspring. It lists all of the offspring and the children of Michael and Catherine @ Catharine Tierney. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Posted: 8 Jan 2012 2:39AM GMT
Adele and Marjorie
Hope to hear from one or both of you re Michael Tierney, son of Patrick & Bridget Tierney. Just want to confirm that this family did arrive on the ship Hive (I hope). I am writing a book about those on board. However there was also a convict named Patrick Tierney who sailed in her. Have heard from his descendant and his story is quite different from Private P Tierney of 28th Regt. so there's no confusion about the outcome for both men.
However, can you confirm for me that the soldier Patrick Tierney was definitely on board - I have not found anything to prove he was not but I want to be sure. Have you found some memorial or a BDM certificate, perhaps for Michael, that says he was on board?
Regards
Babette Smith (you can check out my credentials at my website www. babettesmith.com)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions