Search for content in message boards

Sophie Little Home for unwed mothers in RI

Sophie Little Home for unwed mothers in RI

Posted: 12 Jun 2002 4:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for any information on a Sophie Little Home...for unwed mothers in Rhode Island. My grandmother was born there 11/22/1919. It burned down some years ago but I'm trying to find information on her birthparents, Edith Lucy Boyd and Oscar Oakes.
I think Edith Lucy Boyd was from NY and about 18 at the time. Her father Oscar Oakes was from Tenn. and in the Navy in Rhode Island, his age 26 at the time. Please email with any info. Thanks...stephanie deckard (jadedaero@insightbb.com)

Re: Sophie Little Home for unwed mothers in RI

Posted: 16 Apr 2011 12:22AM GMT
My father received your letter and this is all NEW information to us. Can you give us some info about Hope Boyd? Is she still alive and where did she live and grow up, etc. Edith's family was a fairly large Scottish family working on the VanBuren estate in Newport and Edith was born in either Newport or New York, depending on the season.
Love to hear from you.
Val (Oxx) piner

Posted: 16 Apr 2011 12:25AM GMT
Also you can email me at piner@cox.net

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 7:14PM GMT
I just wanted to let you know that the home didn't burn down and in fact is still standing, my mother actually was born there and was adopted also and later in life moved in next to the home. it has been renovated and has been bought by Johnson and Whales University. My mother spent a long time researching her past and trying to find her birth mother. I have continued her search in a way, see mother past this past may due to cancer. Im just now trying to find something or someone if thats possible. good luck in all your endeavors.

sincerely
Amber Riquiac daughter of the
late Ellen Donabedian Birth name
Dorathy Wattson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic