Search for content in message boards

1849/1850 - Ship wrecked on NJ coast ?

1849/1850 - Ship wrecked on NJ coast ?

Posted: 4 Dec 2007 4:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brown, Campbell, Copper
1849/1850 Charles Brown left Scotland and sailed to the USA where his ship wrecked off the New Jersey coast. Charles lost what ever possessions he had taken to the new world with him but apparently was not seriously injured.
I’ve been unable to find what ship he sailed on or anything about the ship wreck. He may have left from Ireland rather than Scotland. I do not have an exact date.
Thank you for you time with this query - Ann

Re: 1849/1850 - Ship wrecked on NJ coast ?

Posted: 1 Jan 2008 6:01PM GMT
ann,you should try istg this is a sight with several hundred ships going back to 1400. the letters stand for immigration ships transscribers guild. good luck

Posted: 3 Jan 2008 9:03PM GMT
You might try www.mysticseaport.com. If that doesn't work, try a Google search for Mystic Seaport--it is a web site with records of old New England shipping.

Betty Pace - bapace2@juno.com

Posted: 9 Mar 2008 7:03PM GMT
Surnames: Brown
Betty - Thank you for the site address (www.mysticseaport.com)! I have sent them a research request and am now waiting for a reply - Ann

Posted: 13 Dec 2011 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: Pratt, Carty, Hassett
Re: Barque Huma: I'm also looking for information, but am not sure if it's related or not. I'll post here for you in case there is any connection in ship or storm. This ship did not wreck but arrived. Barque Huma, of Rhode Island, Spencer Pratt, Master. Irish Famine Collection Ships: Ship's manifest ID #3451 HUMA from DUBLIN, IR, arrived NY 03/26/1849, 160 passengers. Ship's records state passenger "Patrick Carty died 8th March 1849 in consequence of an injury received in a gale of wind." My gg-grandmother Hassett's 2 y/o sister also died enroute, 3 days out of NY on 3/23/1849, not sure if storm-related or not. I believe a complete list of passengers is/was available on the Castle Garden website, but the website was a dead link last time I tried to access it.

Posted: 19 Aug 2012 2:15AM GMT
One possibility was a ship called the Ayrshire. It left from Newry Ireland in December 1849 and ran aground off of Squan beach in NJ Jan 12, 1850. I have been unable to find a passenger manifest for this particular voyage (an earlier one from APril that year exists) but of the 202 on board, only one passenger died. The rest were rescued in the first US use of the life car.
There were many wrecks off the NJ coast in those years. This is just one possibility.

Posted: 16 Jun 2014 3:36AM GMT
There was/possibly still is, an email discussion list called The Ship's List. I see it as an online web page now at http://www.theshipslist.com/ . One link is of ship disasters. Many others.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions