Search for content in message boards

TB Sanatorium 1950ish

TB Sanatorium 1950ish

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 9:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Manley, Clark, Dingle
Does anyone know details of TB sanatoriums in Toronto 1945 - 1960, or hospitals which took in breast cancer patients, also during this time?
I am looking for information about Kathleen Manley who was born in England and emigrated to Canada in Oct 1919 using the name Kathleen Clark. Once in Ontario she lived with her mother (Minnie) and step father Frank Dingle
I believe she died around 1955 of breast cancer, but suffered from TB before that.
Does anyone have any information on Kathleen or the possible hospitals....?

Re: TB Sanatorium 1950ish

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 2:23AM GMT
Edited: 12 Feb 2013 2:46AM GMT
West Park Hospital was a TB Hospital.

I tried to find a obit for her, is it possible that she married and had a different surname when she died. I found a obit for a Minnie Dingle whose husband was Dudley is it possible that could be your Minnie? Her obit mentions daughters and their married names that's why I thought if its her we might be able to find Kathleen married name.

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 8:38AM GMT
she did marry but we don't know his surname. We believe the guy was a Lebanese or Italian taxi driver, and she possibly met him whlst she was in the TB hospital.
Her mother died in 1936 for which I have the obit, and her step father died in 1945, which details Kathleen as Kathleen Clark living at 48 Rose Avenue Toronto, and his obit refers to her as his step daughter so I am sure that she would have married using the Clark name.
I have just sent to the archives for a search for her marriage because I have been unable to come up with anything .... fingers crossed they come up with something
Thank you

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 2:35PM GMT
I found Frank's obit and it confirms that he is buried at St. John's Norway I have the transcript for that Cemetery so I looked them up thinking Kathleen might be buried with them but no luck I found them on the transcript so they must have a gravestone. Sometimes family members are buried close to each other so I checked the transcript but can't see her name on there that doesn't mean she's not there she is just not on the transcript.

Since we don't know what surname she was using you might want to contact St. John's Norway and see who made the arrangements for Frank's funeral, another that might help find her surname is doing a reverse lookup for 48 Rose Avenue to see what name is shown there if she was living with her Husband his name might come up under that address. If you contact the Toronto Reference Library they will do that for you. I would do it but I won't be able to get to the library for a while.

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 4:17PM GMT
I Googled "TB sanatoriums in Toronto" and didn't see a lot, but I wonder if Kathleen was sent to Chedoke Hospital ("The Sanitorium", etc.) on the Hamilton Mountain.

Chedoke opened as a TB centre in 1906, but the campus was expanded over the years to include other services. Still in use today, it is part of Hamilton Health Sciences.

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 7:10PM GMT
Edited: 17 Feb 2013 3:11PM GMT
Tim I just read over my Aunt's obit and it was the King Edward Sanatorium that she was in I have some info written in her notes about King Edward Sanatorium for Consumptives there was also the Toronto Free Hospital for Consumptives. I believe one of them was located where West Park is now I don't how where I got that info but when I wrote West Park a couple of years ago they provided me with some info. If you do a google lookup on either of these Hospitals you might get some info on them. I've attached a link to someone who posted info on one of the Hospitals.

http://boards.ancestry.ca/topics.hospitals.general/8/mb.ashx

Posted: 14 Aug 2013 9:29PM GMT
Just reading this info as I was trying to find history of... now gone and replaced by a houses... T B HOSPITAL / SANITORIUM on Sheldrake Blvd Toronto across the street from EGLINTON UNITED CHURCH. I remember taking some of my HALLOWE'EN candy to the children there for several years in the early 1950's... Do you know anything about this establishment?
ledl@rogers.com

Posted: 15 Aug 2013 12:26PM GMT
The "Old Weston San" also commonly known as "Buttonwood" was a TB hospital in that time. It remains on Buttonwood Ave and has been re-named The West Park Health Centre.

http://www.westpark.org/en/AboutUs/History.aspx

It is at the corner of Weston Road and Jane Street in West Toronto.

"The West Park Healthcare Centre was founded on September 2, 1904 by a philanthropist that goes by the name, Sir William Gage with some help from the National Sanitarium Association (NSA). When he first opened the the hospital doors it was named the Toronto Free Hospital for Consumptive Poor. When finally established, the West Park Healthcare Centre was one of the first centres in Canada that would treat advanced cases of tuberculosis.

The West Park Healthcare Centre's mission is to help patients, clients and residents of Toronto, to live the best possible life they can. They accomplish this by providing specialized rehab, complex continuing care and long-term care. They value repect towards others and strive for innovation. Their main goal is to achieve excellence in all fields of healthcare."

Posted: 16 Aug 2013 12:02PM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2013 12:07PM GMT
The only King Edward Sanatorium was/is in BC.

The cancer hospital in Toronto is Princess Margaret. Different Royal

Posted: 16 Aug 2013 12:44PM GMT
Actually there was a King Edward Sanatorium in Weston, Ontario I thought that was the name of the Hospital prior to being called West Park but I'm going by memory here.

I've attacked a link below of info on Sanatorium if you go closer to the minute it does mention King Edward, Ontario or the Toronto Free Hospital.

http://www.lung.ca/tb/tbhistory/sanatoriums/first.html
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions