Search for content in message boards

African-American Reed/Read/Reid Family-Warren Co.NC- 1800's

African-American Reed/Read/Reid Family-Warren Co.NC- 1800's

Posted: 25 Apr 2003 4:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jun 2004 2:55AM GMT
Surnames: Williams,Davis,Sneed,Green,Rodgers, Evans,Hodges,Copeland,Richardson,Hawkins
Hi,
I'm looking for any info on a female ancestor whom I only recently confirmed her relationship to my GREEN family. My GREEN's were listed as Free Colored People, Mulatto, or Black in the Census and they all lived in Warren County, North Carolina during the 1800's.
She shows invariably in records as either of the three names above, but I suspect her entire name was Sabrina. Breny/Bryna was listed as BRIND GREEN when she married JAMES REED in Warren County, on Aug. 29, 1807. I have traced them to 1820 in Warren County under James Reed, and 1830 in Warren County, as JAMES READ in the census, but have no further info on what happened to them or their descendants. If anyone knows of these people, please contact me. Thanks.

Deloris Williams

Re: African-American Reed/Read/Reid Family-Warren Co.NC- 1800's

Posted: 8 Aug 2003 6:15PM GMT
Please call me I am in search of some Reed family history.
I was born Athryn Elizabeth Reed on Nov 01, 1964 my was David Louis Bowser Reed(b: 2/19/1932-1993) /Theresa Josephine Dukes both Deceased. I do not know his father's first name but he was a REED. His mother was Estelle Elizabeth Bowser. I would often inquire about my grand father but never recieved a response. Everything was always a secret...I have recently ordered my father's service records maybe that will provide some answers.

Posted: 9 Aug 2003 1:21PM GMT
Surnames: Williams,Davis,Sneed,Green,Rodgers, Evans,Hodges,Copeland,Richardson,Hawkins
I wish I could help you, but I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the names you are looking for. The names I posted for Breny Green and James Reed are the only ones I have in the Reed line, and I don't know a thing about them other than they were married. Have you tried checking out the census records to start tracing your ancestors?

Posted: 11 Aug 2003 1:45AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2005 6:00PM GMT
I HAVE A JAMES REED IN MY LINE FROM ALABAMA FROM NC AROUND EARLY 1800'S

Posted: 11 Aug 2003 1:53PM GMT
Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure about anything with the JAMES REED that I have, but I did find him in as follows:
1810 Edgecombe Co.,NC
JAMES REED = 4 Free

1820 Warren Co.,NC,Warrenton
JAMES REED- FCP
1 M = 14 4 F = 14
1 M = 26 -45 1 F = 26 -45

1830 Warren Co.,NC, Sandy Creek
JAMES READ - FCP
1 M - 10 1 F = 10 - 24
1 M = 55 - 100 1 F = 36 -55

also:
1830 Halifax Co.,NC,
JAMES READ - FCP
2 M = 10 1 F = 24 -36
1 M = 24 -36

I do know that he married my 3rd great grand Aunt, BRENY GREEN in 1809 Warren County,NC and that they weren't around in 1850 when her father THOMAS GREEN died, and she wasn't mentioned in his will. Considering their ages, they both may have died. I am thinking that the JAMES READ in Halifax in 1830 may have been their son, but he disappears after that. It is probable that he moved elsewhere, and maybe he is the one you have in your line. Do you know anything about your James' parents or exactly where he may have come from? Does the name Breny/Brind/Brena appear anywhere in his descendants that you know of?

Posted: 11 Aug 2003 9:05PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2005 6:00PM GMT
MY JAMES REED WAS B IN 1807 PLACE UUKNOWN AND D IN 1860 IN ALABAMA I DO NOT HAVE ANY INFO ON HIS MOTHER OR FATHER. THE NAMES OF DRENY, BRIND,OR BRENA DO NOT APPEAR IN ANY OF MY LINES. THANK YOU.

Athryn (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2003 7:50PM GMT
I am still waiting for information from SSA, you can request a person's SSN application which contains alot of information, including G-parents...

My step mother has alot of informations on my father's side of the family. I think that James Reed is either my Grand-father or Great Grand-Father. If this is so then we can help each other out? If you want to call 410 686-5005

Posted: 13 Aug 2003 12:29PM GMT
Yes, I know about the SSA forms, but lately the government has been blocking out more and more info on those forms. I had an ancestor who was born in 1899 and died in 1970, and they blanked out her parents as if his parents were still alive, no less!
But anyway, I don't think that any of my JAMES READ/REED children would still have been alive to apply for a Social Security application since he probably died sometime around 1830, and any children would have been well over a hundred by 1930 at the very least, I'd say. If you do have a JAMES READ/REED from NC and maybe know what his wife's name was to possibly match mine, then that might be a better way of identifying them. I do know for a fact that BRIND also called BRENY/BRENA was born at least a few years before 1791 because she was mentioned in the will of her slaveowner, along with her parents and siblings, at that time when they freed the family from slavery, which was approved by the Legislature in 1798.
As another point of interest, at that same time that BRENY GREEN's family was Emancipated in Warren County,NC, there was a CHELSEA REED who was also given her freedom during the same proceedings. I'm wondering if there was any connection?
Also, perhaps we can talk at a later date because I am leaving tomorrow on a couple of trips and won't be back home for a couple of months. While I'll be checking in at the boards from time to time, I won't have access to my records for a while. Maybe we will find something in the meanwhile.

Sheila (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2004 12:18AM GMT
Hi, my family came out of NC, same county. We are African American and have been in Portsmouth, NH since mid 1800's. Many Af/Am families came out of that county in NC, to NH altho I don't know what prompted them to.

I can remember finding a parent [mother] in NH in an early census there [perhaps 1900 or just a bit earlier] whose maiden name was Reed, but I cannot remember the first name. Worth looking into in case your Reeds migrated to this NH town, as well.

Coincidentally, my maiden name is Reed, but my Reeds are not, as far as I know, connected to NC. But I have hit a brick wall with my Reeds who, again, came to NH about 1860 or so. They were friends with the folks I speak of, the extended married name being Scott and Downey, I believe.

Don't know if this will help send your research in an area that you may have not looked into before to locate your relatives.

Sheila
per page

Find a board about a specific topic