Search for content in message boards

Sligo to Roscommon? :Oates/Moffett

Sligo to Roscommon? :Oates/Moffett

Francis Oates (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Oates, Moffett

My p. great-grandparents Michael Oates and Catherine Moffett lived near Frenchpark in Roscommon. A family note says Michael may have come from Sligo, may have been a hedge-schoolmaster. I have no dates for them.
Their oldest child died in Ballinasloe workhouse during the Famine, other birthdates on children are 1856 through 1876.
Any info. on Michael or Catherine, or on Oateses and Moffetts in Sligo, will be much appreciated.

Francis Oates
St. Louis MO

Moffitt/Oates - Monaghan/Mullany

Posted: 29 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 5:38PM GMT
Surnames: Moffitt, Oates, Monaghan, Mullany
Hi, I only have a little information from Mormon Co. Sligo microfiched records on your surnames here at home, but more and similar information is available at the LDS (Mormon) Family History Centers on each county in Ireland. The FHCs are free and open to the general public, have millions of entries of birth, marriages and deaths worldwide.

1. Brigida Mullany born 06 Oct 1879 to Michael Mullany and Maria Oates, Co. Sligo, Geevah Roman Catholic.
2. Bridget Monaghan born 22 Nov 1837 to Edward Monaghan and Eliza Moffiitt, (others named in source), Co. Sligo, Skreen. See computer record.
3. Edward Monaghan born abt. 1807 (spouse, Eliza Moffitt), ?parents, Co. Sligo, of Skreen, (others named in source, see Mormon FHC computerized records.

FYI, there is information on the Oates surname at the Co. Leitrim website as well.

Monaghans in Sligo

Posted: 22 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Aug 2001 3:04PM GMT
Surnames: Monaghan, McManus
I have traced my great grandfather Thomas Monaghan back to his 1860 marriage in Bohola/Mayo. Our oldest relative in Bohola believes that Thomas may have come from Sligo
She also thinks that his father may be a Patrick and his mother may be a McManus. Thomas was probably born prefamine since he married in 1860? Any help out there??

Easky,Sligo

Posted: 20 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 Mar 2003 4:29PM GMT
Surnames: Monahan
My GrandFather Patrick Monahan
and his Father/my GreatGrandFather left Ireland 1884 for USA

My GrandFathers death cert.states he was born in Easky,Co.Sligo

monaghan/co.sligo/parish geevagh

Posted: 28 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 10:56AM GMT
Surnames: monaghan, cogan
dear jean,
my family came from co. sligo ballindoon, parish geevagh to australia in 1863.(bartholomew monaghan/Catharine(cogan). his brothers peter, and patrick, and sister jane came in 1864/5. a brother michael stayed in ireland to mind the property, but died just after all the others left ireland. four others of the family are believed to have gone to america, and last contact was probably 1895, from a sister in boston america. (i don't know if she was married or not)
i was i ireland last october 1999, and met some of the cogan family, and was advised that some of the monaghan's living in sligo are related, but due to my short stay, i was unable to visit them. please contact me, my name is greame monaghan my address is: 45 Booth Street, Golden Square 3555, Victoria. Australia.

Monaghan Family

Posted: 4 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 7 Aug 2001 6:30AM GMT
Surnames: Monaghan, McGowan
Jake,

Oddly enough (actually not so with the numerous names I have found with similarities in Sligo) I have a Patrick Bernard Monahan born to Patrick Monahan and Annie Carrole on 6 Dec 19?? in Brooklyn, NY, baptized at St Joseh's Church also in brooklyn. My great grandmother was Honor Anna Mona(g)han born, County Sligo, Ireland Easky Parish in Feb 1869. Her parents were Patrick Mona(g)han and Mary McGowan, Diocese of Killala parish of Easky. Patrick Monaghan died June 24, 1903 and his wife in Dec 1902. Both are buried in Holy Cross Cemetary, Brooklyn, NY. It is indicated that there was also a son, John born 1865. Please let me know if you think there is any connection

Stephanie Mello
mellos2@hotmail.com

Brooklyn Monahans

Posted: 8 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 Mar 2003 4:29PM GMT
Surnames: Monahan, Carroll
Patrick Monahan and wife Mary McGowen
Arrived USA 1884 as per NYC Census information
with five children:

Patrick J.Monahan--

my GF married Anne Carroll

John

Honora--married Robert Trimble

Margaret--married James Foley

Mary Ellen--married Thomas Vaughan

Monaghan Family

Posted: 27 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 10:56AM GMT
Surnames: Monaghan, Cogan
Dear Stephanie,
My Monaghan family came from Co. Sligo to Australia in 1863,
three others came in 1864, and four went to America.
My G/G/Grandmother's maiden name was Cogan, and I was fortunate to come across cousins of that side of the family during October 1999, when my wife and I visited Ireland, and in particular Co. Sligo. The Monaghan side of the family came from Ballindoon Lough Arrow, and the family property as it was overlooks Lough Arrow which is quite beautiful. When I was visiting Sligo town, I left information with the local Genealogy centre of information of other families, in particular person fromthe County that had died or Married and that had come from Sligo to Australia.
Regards,
Graeme Monaghan

Re: monaghan/co.sligo/parish geevagh

Posted: 2 Nov 2003 3:30AM GMT
Edited: 26 Dec 2004 6:42AM GMT
Surnames: COGAN, MONAGHAN
Hello Graeme,
My name is Maria Mastin and I'm researching the COGAN family. This Cogan family immigrated from Sligo county, Ireland to the United States. They settled in Western Ohio in Auglaize county. The earliest Cogan I have found is John Cogan who was born about 1795 in Sligo, Ireland, married Mary Sheridan. Their son, Patrick Cogan married Sarah Monaghan. She was born May 1820 in probably Sligo Ireland and died Nov 12, 1903 in Auglaize county, Ohio. Patrick Cogan was born March 1822 in Sligo county, Ireland and died Jan 28, 1901 in Auglaize county, Ohio. In the 1880 census record, there lists with this couple: Anna Monaghan born about 1872 and James Monaghan born 1869.
Do you recognize any of these people? I think it's probably the same family as yours.
Please e-mail me at your convenience so that we can discuss these families.
Thank you. Maria Mastin

Re: monaghan/co.sligo/parish geevagh

Graeme M. Monaghan (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 2003 3:53AM GMT
Surnames: Monaghan, and Cogan
Dear Maria,
It would appear that there is a connection between your Patrick Cogan/Sarah Monaghan, and my family.
Tell me do you know when Patrick and Sarah arrived in America.
My G/G/Grandparents Bartholomew and Jane(Cogan) Monaghan arrived in Australia during 1863, and two of his brothers Peter and Patrick, plus sister Jane arrived during 1864/5, and or family history states that four of Bartholomew's siblings went to America.
I would be most interested to know more, as everything points to a relationship.
Sincerely,
Graeme Monaghan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions