Search for content in message boards

Franklin County Township Map

Franklin County Township Map

Posted: 27 Apr 2002 8:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Allen, Davis
Can anyone point me in the direction of a township map of Franklin County on the Net?

Thanks -

Carla Stancil Townsend

Re: Franklin County Township Map

Faye J Parker (View posts)
Posted: 19 May 2002 10:44PM GMT
I have a copy of the Franklin County townships that I copied out of a book that I found at the Olivia Raney History Library in Raleigh, N C if that would help. I can scan it to you

Posted: 20 May 2002 11:34AM GMT
I would appreciate that. Thank you.

Carla Stancil Townsend

Faye Jeans Parker (View posts)
Posted: 20 May 2002 3:03PM GMT
My e mail address is fparker@bellsouth.net. If you will mail to me, I can scan the map to you

Posted: 23 Jul 2005 4:40AM GMT
I have been looking for a township in Franklin Co. called Freemans township. Would your map tell me where this is?

Mid-1800's Franklin County Township Map

Posted: 24 Jul 2005 11:48AM GMT
Josiah Bridgers surveyed the township in 1840 and, in 1869, W. Fuller used the Bridgers survey to map the nine major township divisions. I have digital photos of that wonderful, hand-drawn Fuller map.

The township divisions were laid out on a slightly-skewed "tic-tac-toe" style grid with Freeman's in the lower-left corner of the county. The uppermost boundary of Freeman's laid roughly along Cedar Creek, while the western and southern boundaries of Freeman's extended to the Wake and Granville county lines and the eastern boundary laid west of the Raleigh Road. FYI, Raleigh Road correlates fairly closely with Hwy 401 on present-day maps. The Bridger's survey also showed the locations of many land-owners which Fuller included in his map. If you let me know who you are looking for, I may be able to tell you more about where they were located in Freeman's.

I am writing a book about the history of the families and homes of north-central Franklin County and will be including this map in the book in a sectional format. Unfortunately, the book isn't expected to be published until approximately December of 2006, which doesn't help you much now. The map itself was too large to photograph in its entirety while capturing the details it exhibits, so my digital images break the map into sections.

Let me know who you are looking for and I'll be happy to try to tell you more about where they were (if I can).

Best of luck in your research!

Re: Mid-1800's Franklin County Township Map

Posted: 24 Jul 2005 11:23PM GMT
Sheila,
I am very new at starting my ancestry research. I am researching the Mitchell line of Wake, Granville and Franklin counties. My quest has left me with a Richard Addison Mitchell, my g-g-grandfather. He served in the Civil war and listed his home as Freemans township, Franklin Co. I have been able to estimate his birth abt 1830 and was married to Nancy Pearce on Oct. 6, 1862. It seems he didn't exist before that! I thought I would try to find this Freemans township and then maybe go from there. It seems that my dad and all my other family members still live in Freemans township. All of them being on or near Hwy 96.
I would like to find just where this Richard Mitchell lived and who is father and mother were and his children. The Census reports have been no help. Again, I am new at this and trying to do it from my home in Dallas, Texas.
Any help with this map and perhaps the farms and occupants of those farms would be wonderful and greatly appreciated!
Regards,
Phyllis Maher

Posted: 25 Jul 2005 7:16PM GMT
Hi Sheila
Good Luck with your book. I live in Franklin County and have tons of Franklin Kin. I have been researching for over fifteen years. My great aunt Mary Jeffries Rogers was head of the NC Archives and got me started. I was wondering if you have info on my ggg-grandfather Reuben Roger's Homeplace. He was born abt 1820 in Franklin County. Other kin in Franklin County include; Baker, Perry, Pearce, Timberlake, Jean, Hicks, Andrews, Doyle, Sellars etc. Thanks

Posted: 25 Jul 2005 9:41PM GMT
Surnames: Mitchell
First, I need to correct an error in my earlier posting to you. Franklin is divided into 10 townships on my map, not 9 as I stated before. Now, regarding your research: my map does indicate a W.A. Mitchell in Freeman's Twp.. His property was near the eaternmost border of the township and neighbors included Dent to the south, Conyers to the north, Harris to the east, and another party (whose name is illegible on my image) to the west. This is the only Mitchell I find in Freeman's Twp. on this map. As I continue my research, I'll try to keep an eye out for your Richard A. Mitchell and will let you know if I come across anything else. You might also want to place queries on the Mitchell & Pearce surname boards (if you haven't already done so). I am in Franklin county and talk to a lot of people as I gather research for my book, so I'll try to see if the name rings a bell with anyone I talk with.
Once again, best of luck in your research.

Posted: 25 Jul 2005 9:52PM GMT
Surnames: Rogers, Pearce, Timberlake, Perry
Thanks for you kind thoughts about the book. I live in Franklin county also and am really enjoying the research. I assume that your great aunt was somehow kin to Osborn Jeffreys?
I'll have to check to see if I have anything in maps or my research about the Reuben Rogers homeplace, but the name doesn't ring a bell. Was he kin to J.A. Rogers?
As for the other names you mentioned, I do have some info on the Timberlakes, Pearces, and Perrys but, since much of their doings were south of the area I'm researching, my info tends to relate more to familes they married into. The bulk of my research is covering the (in my humble opinion) largely overlooked areas north, and just northeast and northwest of Louisburg proper.
I'll be happy to try to keep an eye out for you, though, as new info is always coming my way. I'll also try to remember to check through my maps to see if I see any references to Reuben Rogers land parcels or home sites.
Best of luck in your research!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic