Search for content in message boards

Comer Origins

Comer Origins

Joe (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 2004 6:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Comer Clan!!!
We All Came here for a reason.We want to find out where we came from. I know that my family lived in Grayson county Va.
They go back to the First John Comer of Comers Rock.
My personal Quest is to find out Where this family came from. But I am also interested in hearing about your families.
The name of Comer comes from many sources.(Ireland Scotland,England,Germany,Holland.....). There are towns named Comer all over the World. Im sure that someone somewhere knows the story of how these places came by the name of Comer. Comers Rock Virginia is a good example.
CastleComer is another (in Ireland I believe) Comer England also. I'm sure we would all like to hear about them even if its just a legend.
I had better go now I am taking up everybodies time.
God bless you all and hop to see your responce.
Joe Comer

Re: Comer Origins

Joe (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 2004 7:14AM GMT
About Comer's Rock.
The Story that I heard growing up was that one of the John Comers Killed a Panther either with a knife or by hand on the mountaintop. Weather this is true or not I do not know. If anybody does know the details please let me know. It kind of sounds like the story of Daniel Boone and the Bear. By the way, while doing my search for my family I saw a list of soldiers of the Revolution that that had a John Comer and a Daniel Boone in the same Military Unit But i think i forgot to save the file. God Bless, Joe

Posted: 25 Nov 2004 4:28PM GMT
The name COMER, meant "wool - comber".

Brian Winn

Joe (View posts)
Posted: 7 Dec 2004 7:17AM GMT
Thank you for your reply.
That undoutedly is one ofthe sources of this surname, but, the name Comer has many different origins.To name a few...Cormier from France.Kummer and Gomer from Germany. I have seen Culmer and Kulmer.
The Irish Quakers who changed their names to Comber changed their name because it wasn't a Quaker name and didnt sound anything like Comer,I believe the name was Kerrigan.Some believe this was derived from the irish Cior which means to comb others say it was derived from the word Ciar which means Black.
The word comer also has different meanings in other
countries in Spanish it means Eat or Food. Comber in Irish is also derived from Comar which means the meeting of to rivers.
So the origin of this name is a little more of a mystery than it would first appear.
I look foreward to more responces. Please correct and inform me if you have more information.
Thank You! Joe Comer

Posted: 7 Dec 2004 7:33AM GMT
Hope some other cousins join the discussion

Brian

Posted: 18 Feb 2005 4:14AM GMT
hi!
a canadian comer here. I've been researching teh family for about a year and a half now. We come from england i tink. I've noticed that some families pronounce the name differently. How do you pronounce yours? rginally, our family spelt with two "o"s -- Coomer. But it was later dropped. Some say comer as if ryming with home, we say it with a "ou" sound to it. anywys, glad to see im not alone in the wrold. I used to get teased for my last name all the time in high school. I feel better now. LOL.

Joe Comer (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2005 5:57AM GMT
Hello Leah.
I pronounce my name to rhyme with Home.
How far back does your line go? I have read of Comers from France arriving in Canada around 1815.
So far, I have traced my line back to 1704 in Pa.
In census records I have found three different spellings for the same man. in 1790 Pa. Comer. In 1810 Va. Commer. In 1820 Comber. Then in 1830 it was back to Comer. I know it was the same man from other info. No wonder it's so hard to trace our ancestors!
Joe

leah (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2005 3:30PM GMT
hi!

i've only been working on this for about a year and a half. I've been able to trace my line back to a John L. Coomer born 1800 in England who immigrated to canada. Bot now im stuck! LOL.

talk to you soon

Leah

Posted: 31 Mar 2005 11:41PM GMT
Surnames: Comer, Blevins, Hart, Sizemore, Wyatt
Hey Comer Clan. As I understand it the name Comer comes from the days when the name was the occupation. It has been told to me that the early Comer's were combers of the wool. I too am related to John Comer and my family comes from Grayson Co. VA. My dad was Clarence E. Comer son of James Comer and Rosie Blevins and he was born in Troutdale, VA in 1903. I was born in Newport News, VA in 1934, but I lived in southwestern VA in my early years. We moved to Arizona in 1948 where I attended High School and entered the military during the Korean W ar. My uncle Walter was a policeman in Coeburn and My Uncle Harvey was a coal miner in Harmon, Va.. Altogether there were 9 Comer's from that marriage. God Bless and ya'll take care. Ed Comer

Melanie (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2005 9:38PM GMT
I have always been told that one of my great great grandparents worked on a family tree many years back, (I sure do wish that I had their research!) and that our line of Comer's were related to Daniel Boone. Has anyone else ever heard that?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions