Search for content in message boards

Newbie - check me out please

Newbie - check me out please

Posted: 7 Aug 2013 8:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Just started keying. Just want to make sure I am doing this correctly.

I have highlighted the info I believe they are asking for both in the record and in my list.

I guess they are using a standardized Military Register for keying?? Just wondering if it would not have made more sense to have the fields aligned to the flow of info versus having to jump around to complete a record. Seems like a lot of wasted time tabbing, etc. and hard to get any flow going.

Thx DD
Attachments:

Re: Newbie - check me out please

Posted: 7 Aug 2013 9:00PM GMT
Hi & welcome,

Not doing this project (not sure which it is) so won't comment on what you have entered where but can give you some advice.
We do NOT key periods/full stops at all and months are keyed as 3 letter abbreviation, use the field help notes on the left of the screen to check what is required for the individual fields and to change the order of the fields click on the heading of the column and drag to the position that you want.

Here is the link to the keying standards in case you haven't seen it.
http://www.ancestry.com/wiki/index.php?title=World_Archives_...
and click on the "help" at the top to "view project instructions"

Hope this helps & someone else responds re what you've keyed.

Kerrie.

Posted: 7 Aug 2013 9:53PM GMT
Thanks for the info. I did figure out not keying periods and used the suggestion pop-up which guided me toward that as well as the three letter designation for month names. Didn't know I could move the fields around, that makes great sense.

Completed my first batch, let's see how well I did. Thx again!

DD

Posted: 7 Aug 2013 11:09PM GMT
The dates look correct. So remove full stops/periods and key month as 3-char (what Kerrie said).

Karen

Posted: 8 Aug 2013 12:01AM GMT
Thank you as well. I had a mistake in the picture I posted and fixed a few after I sent it and then realized that the form would show an error for any of those months names in which I had a period. I realized if I used the pop-up as a guide, I would get it right. I think I am getting the hang of it. Did another few pages today.

Thanks for the help!

DD

Posted: 8 Aug 2013 11:12AM GMT
Another tip: unless the instructions explicitly say otherwise (such as "use three-letter abbreviations for months"), always KEY AS SEEN. The pop-up list is a guide, but should not override what you see.

Mitch
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions