Search for content in message boards

Who can download GEDCOMs from Ancestry.com member Trees?

Who can download GEDCOMs from Ancestry.com member Trees?

Posted: 7 Mar 2010 5:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Can only the owner of a member tree ( a recently created member tree, not the older online family tree) download a GEDCOM of that tree?

I am an "editor" of two member trees, one public and one private. The owner can of course download the GEDCOM, but I do not get the 'button' when I select Tree Settings --> Tree info.

I could of course have the owner download the file but then it needs to be transported to me. I would prefer to download directly to my PC.

Paul

Re: Who can download GEDCOMs from Ancestry.com member Trees?

Posted: 7 Mar 2010 8:48PM GMT
Sorry Paul,

Only the tree owner can download a GEDCOM of a tree, altho anyone else can click thru an entire tree and copy it to theirs with no trouble; which kinda defeats the purpose of not allowing anyone but tree owners to download GEDCOMS of their trees.

Ancestry needs to put up a notice:

"Attention Tree Owners- we will not let anyone but you download a GEDCOM of your tree, but we will provide tools so that anyone can copy all your information directly to their trees".

If they were that upfront about it you'd hear screams of outrage from here to Mars and back.

But, of course, they aren't; they bury it in legal mumbo-jumbo and hope most users won't pay attention.

Posted: 7 Mar 2010 11:40PM GMT
Hmmmmmmm. The only reason my tree is out there is so others can take parts of it that they otherwise don't have and visa-versa.

Posted: 8 Mar 2010 12:04AM GMT
Bob,

Please provide something more about "can take parts of it". Anyone can copy, print, information in your Online Tree. The issue is, who can Download that online tree.

Are you saying that I should be able to download YOUR tree and put it on my PC?

Just trying to clarify.

Russ

Posted: 26 Apr 2010 5:49PM GMT
Thanks for posting this. I have been tearing my hair out trying to find the download gedcom feature.

Tribalpages is free and you can still download gedcoms from others. Maybe we need to share our info on THAT site.

Posted: 29 Apr 2010 11:35AM GMT
Absolutly! Why in the world wouldn't anyone want someone else to download their entire tree?

Posted: 8 May 2010 1:19AM GMT
I agree with Bob. The main problem with typing all of the information in by hand from the Website to, say, Family Tree Maker, is (baring typos) that I miss people. The most recent tree I've entered information for, the online stats say 3K+ people. However, I only entered about 2K people, so, I'm wondering... How the heck did I miss that many people and where are they?

Posted: 8 May 2010 3:06AM GMT
My first guess would be it probably has something to do with children of a spouse by a previous marriage and the parents and family of that previous spouse.

Posted: 9 May 2010 6:40PM GMT
snathaidmhor,

Where are you missing those people? In an Online Tree or within Family Tree Maker.

If within Family Tree Maker, why now download load information from that tree.

Is that Online Tree Yours?

Russ

Posted: 10 May 2010 1:03AM GMT
It's an online tree that is not mine.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic