Search for content in message boards

Pattersons in South Carolina

Pattersons in South Carolina

Posted: 19 Jun 2009 10:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Patterson
I am looking for anyone who has Pattersons in the Abbeville, Long Canes, Old 96, or Greenwood areas in the back country of South Carolina.

My first American Ancestor was Samuel Patterson ca. 1725 - 1791. He settled with his six children and wife in Abbeville District wher they had two more children. There were Pattersons already in the area when he settled there and I am wanting to meet anyone who may have had Patterson in the area from 1700 - 1825.

Re: Pattersons in South Carolina

Posted: 22 Jun 2009 4:45AM GMT
Surnames: Patterson, King, Cann
My father is William Reese Patterson (b.1912) his father is Hampton Patterson Abbyville/Pickens SC, he was killed transporting a prisoner from Greenville to Spartianbourg in 1923, He can be found on OFFICER DOWN web sight, also on the National Officers Memorial in DC, I was named after my Great Great Grandfather Thomas Miller King of Sandy Springs his wife is Nora (Martin) my fathers mother is Grutrude King, Hampton Pattersons father is named BERT on his death cirtificit, and his mothers name is Polly Cann (pronounced Cain) all are at rest at the Sandy Springs Methodist Church.

Posted: 23 Jun 2009 4:54PM GMT
Surnames: Patterson
Have you been able to research your Patterson line back through history in Abbeville? Looks like you are back to at least Bert Patterson. do you know his dates?

Posted: 24 Jun 2009 3:54PM GMT
I am at a great disadvantage, in that I am the baby of the family at 63, and raised in california, all I have are memories of dad talking about the Pattersons and Kings back in south carolina on saturday night as the beer cans emptied, the stories would get grander and grander, with some remarkable stories that would only be suited for scripted TV, sometimes he would say something that would catch me and brother and sisters attention, and mom would say Bill Shut Up, and pull me aside (remember my brother is 6 years and my sister is 10 years older than I)and say "Always remember you are a Patterson and you are not allow to repeat any thing you may hear or see in this house, Well the always remember part I did prety good.
My mother (a braswell from charleston) and brother and sister were raised in South Carolina and when Dad got out if the Navy (he was a SEABEE)in 1952 they relocated to california, with me at the age of 5 or 6, when dad died mom moved bask to South Carolina to be with her Brothers and sisters, I was living in wyoming and going thrugh a very nasty devorce and decited to visit mom and meet some of the relitives I only heard about growing up, to my SHOCK the stories were true, after digging I did locate an oringinal news paper artical on Thomas Miller Kings 50th wedding anversity with a lot of very intersting names in attendents, To anwser your question it appears after Hampton Pattersons untimely "ACCADENT" death the Pattersons relocated from Greenville SC to Malkingburg NC, where,as mom would say they were "Very Well" taken care of for rest of there days and did not WANT for anything with names like Jimmy Burns creeping up every now and then, my father was sent to live with Thomas Miller King in Sandy Springs SC (hence my name) for reasons that was in his best intrest I am told, ( he must have been 12 or 13 then) but it seems that they just fell off the face of the earth, or more like it "Were never Here" every time I get a lead I would get the "That page must have gotten lost in reconstruction", or some other reduclus excuse why it was not availabe" the only thing to go on are standered Death Certificates and old news artic, and now ancestery .com and you

Posted: 1 Jul 2009 3:09AM GMT
Surnames: Paterson/Patterson
My first Patterson in America was Hector Paterson (b. circa 1810) who came to South Carolina from Scotland in the first half of the 1800s with Angus Paterson who was possibly a younger brother. Hector married a Sarah/Dorah in South Carolina and they had three children there. They all show up in the 1850 Gadsden County, FL census with Hector and Sarah/Dorah having had two more children born in Florida. I would like to find out where in South Carolina Hector and Sarah/Dorah lived and when they moved to Florida. Do you or anyone else out there have Hector or Angus Paterson ancestor who moved from SC to FL in the first half of the 1800s?

Posted: 11 Jan 2010 5:34AM GMT
I am also a descendent of Samuel Patterson. My mother was a Patterson. My grandfather was John Sullivan Patterson. My ggf was Bailey Patterson Jr and my gggf was Bailey Patterson Sr. My ggggf was George W Patterson and my gggggf was John Patterson. My ggggggf was Samuel Patterson. I have found some info that his middle name was Senton but I can't find anything further than that, that I can prove. How are you related and where are you at now? I am in Cherokee Co., Al. Would be interested in sharing information.

Posted: 14 Jan 2010 1:11PM GMT
hithanks for your post regarding pattersons my grandparents
came from the magherafelt area of northern ireland and moved
to scotland in 1906 i dont know if there is any connection
my grandfather was called joseph my grandmother was sarah hagen they had 4 sons 3daughters names samuel william josephand my father john elizabeth martha may i dont know if
any of my ggfathers family moved to america we now live in greenock scotland hope this is helpful to you good luck in your research kind regards peter patterson

Posted: 18 Jan 2010 6:04AM GMT
I am looking for information on a Samuel Senten Patterson born abt 1725 in Dysart, Newry,County Down Ireland. He was married to Mary Carson who was born about 1730 in Ireland also.

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 6:23AM GMT
I am a Patterson but I do not know where my grandfather was born in SC. I know very little about him and I also am looking for my family history. His name was Quincy Patterson and he was a laborer on the Southern Railroad train company. Tgis is all that I know and I have been searching for about two years now and you are he first peson who has the same interests as do I. My name is Terry Patterson......please e-mail me at dpd1532@yahoo.com.

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 7:31AM GMT
I guess my main issue is that I am an American of African culture and my grandfather, Quincy Patterson, was a very light skinned man. I do not have any knowledge of traces back to Ireland or Scotland, so it would be appropriate to say that I recived my last name from slaveowners who gave my ancesters the last name Patterson. Quincy Patterson lived in Columbia, SC (Richland County) who was married to my grandmother Mamie (Walker) and had two children my dad William Patterson and aunt Linda Patterson who are both deceased. I know nothing else regarding my family history and my mind is boggling through history books and reference books. I was recently in SC last year but has since relocated back to MI. If any info available please e-mail me at dpd1532@yahoo.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic