Search for content in message boards

JONES/SIMMONS Families

JONES/SIMMONS Families

Posted: 31 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Jul 2002 6:56AM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Simmons
Searching in Montgomery County for the ancestors of the following people because a part of Pike Co. was taken from it in the early 1800s: HENRY D. W. JONES born abt. 1804 in GA., and his wife MARY A. SIMMONS born abt. 1803 in NC. Her father might be WILLIAM SIMMONS. They first appear on the 1830 census in Pike Co. as a young family. Any info would really be appreciated.

Henry D. W. Jones

Posted: 10 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jul 2002 6:56AM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Simmons
Re: Your response to my Montgomery County, AL, query. It is possible there is a relation. My Henry D. W. Jones (never knew what D. W. stood for) was born 1804 in GA and first appears on 1830 census in Pike Co, AL. Thought it possible they were in Montgomery County earlier. They migrated to Leake Co., and settled there in 1870.
Posted: 10 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Jones, Armstrong, Norsworthy
This post was deleted by the author on 19 Jul 2012 3:15AM GMT

Re: Henry D. W. Jones

George Stuart (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2002 10:52PM GMT
Betty & all,
I have a Madison Dudley Jones, born 1797 in GA - died 1863 in Neshoba Co., MS. He married Hannah Stainton in AL about 1827. They are named in Monroe Co., AL will of her father, John Stainton, Jr. (md. to Mariam Hester). Dudley & wife, Hannah were in Neshoba Co., MS for 1850 Census. Their daughter, Hannah & husband William Davis Stuart were in neighboring county Winston also in 1850.
Montgomery was once part of Monroe Co. so back then they could have lived in an area that is now Montgomery Co.
Does this sound like any of your Jones family?
George Stuart
Smith Co., MS

Posted: 29 Jul 2002 9:39AM GMT
Edited: 27 Sep 2002 12:32PM GMT
My Henry D. W., b. in GA ca. 1803, was in Pike Co., AL in 1830, in Dale Co., AL in 1840, in Coffee Co., AL in 1850 (the county lines changed as Dale and then Coffee counties were added). HDW bought land in Covington Co in 1855, but the family had moved to Mobile Co., AL by 1860. In 1870, HDW and part of his family was in Neshoba Co., MS. He bought land in Dec 1870 in Leake Co., MS, and stayed there. One of his sons settled in Lawrence Co., MS, and another may have - can't prove or disprove that. Two other sons stayed in Leake Co., as well as at least one married daughter. I honestly cannot say whether or not we can match. However, I've always felt there was some reason why they moved to MS, and Neshoba borders Leake in MS.

George Stuart (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2002 1:47AM GMT
Surnames: Stuart, Stainton, Jones, others
I'm sending privately the immediate family, as I have it, of Madison Dudley Jones & Hannah Stainton. Hannah Stainton Jones' nephew, LaFayette Stainton was an early newspaper editor in Neshoba County, MS.
Looks like several of the family moved from AL area to MS about that time.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic