Search for content in message boards

Surename

Surename

Posted: 1 Aug 2003 6:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Nov 2005 8:04PM GMT
I am Looking for any info on David Reeder born 21 Dec 1801 Rumburgh Suffolk England he married at Chediston to a Lydia Balls Had 7 children all born at Linstead Parva Suffolk England. He died on 1 oct 1856 Laramie Albaby Wyoming USA he took 5 ofhis children with him his wife died young the children ended up in Utah.

Re: Surename

Linda Roberts (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2003 10:20PM GMT
There is a book written by his son. Are you looking for his English history or US history?

Linda Roberts

i heuer (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2003 8:34AM GMT
I am looking for them in USA. I have quite a bit about David's family when they where in Utah who there children married but not who their children's, children's married and if any their desendants are still living in Utah. I would like to what they did for a living and where they travelled and settled I know some went to Canada and if there are is any one else linked to my gr gt gt gt uncle and aunt David Reeder and Lydia Balls. The book sounds interesting. I am in the United Kingdom on the Norfolk and Suffolk boarder of East Anglia I would love to know how you fit in to my Family tree. Davids goes back to 1600's sadly the rest of the records back to 1400's where destroyed by flooding. In the 1600's they lived in Norfolk at a place called Pulham Market.

Posted: 4 Aug 2003 10:45PM GMT
I am not related at all. I just have a copy of the book. I am a Reeder researcher associated with a group of about 150 researchers of all Reeder lines.

This manuscript covers the story of George Balls Reeder as recounted by Adolph Reeder, his son. George and four members of the family successrfully made the trek across the plains to the Salt Lake Valley by ox team in the year 1853.

In 1957, Donald Reeder Jeffs updated the manuscript above and added material on the other three pioneers who went with George.

This was not a book company publication even though it is hard bound. It does not have any library of congress markings nor does it show the name of the publisher. It is 220 pages long. It has a Miller Bookbinding Co SLC insignia in it. A lady found it in a stack of books that were to be given away by a library and hated to see a family's history go to waste.

There isn't much in there past the 1940-1950 timeframe.

Linda

i heuer (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2003 9:39AM GMT
Any idea where I can get a copy of this book as I am in interested in the info it might contain. It is possible it may answer alot of questions I and my family have

Posted: 6 Aug 2003 12:07AM GMT
No, sorry. As I said, I came by my copy secondhanded.

There are others around I am sure but I feel certain that it was a personal publication rather than going thru a book company.

You could post a "I want" on some of the used genealogy book sites.

The David Reeder Family HIstory Compiled by Adolph Madsen Reeder.

There is a note in the front of the book that it was originally purchased by Rae Reeder in San Jose, CA in Feb 1966 from Ray M. Reeder in Provo, Utah.

That is the closest that I can come to information.

There is no real index as far as people's names in the book. It does have some sections indexed.

It does show a mini-pedigree chart showing the father of David as Robert (Mary Dary) and his father as Robert (Hannah Smith)

It does have a photo of the Robert Reeder home at Rumburgh.

There is also a reference in the book about a Ray M. Reeder Paris, Idaho December, 1946. This may be the Ray Reeder that was referred to in the handwriting in the front of the book.

There is a handwritten copy published in the book of the marriage from The Parish Register for Robert Reeder and Mary Davy.

Also a marriage register copied by the minister

Robet Jr., married Maria Crisp, 13 May 1818
John, married, Mrs. Elizabeth Reeder (no date)
Milicent, married, Robert Page (no date)
Mary, married, Robert Baker, 14 Nov. 1827
David , married, Lydia Balls, 1828
Henry, married, Maria Haylock, 14 Nov. 1833
Edward, married Ann Meadows (no date)
George, died as a child
Lucy, married John Blowers Jr. (no date)

These marriages are on record on the Parish Register of the state church but their children were not on the Register. This indicates the Reeders were of the Protestant nonconformist churches. This fact makes the Reeders hard to locate.

There is also a photo of The four Reeders, George, Eliza, Mary and Robert, standing. There are also photos of Reeder cottage and fireplace at Linstead. Lydia's burial at Linsted church. The Baptism pond. The gate at the stile. Thatched roofs on Wingfield street and market cross in Bungay.

The book is filled with pre-1920 photos and several pre 1900.

Linda Roberts

i heuer (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2003 9:11AM GMT
Thanks for your help I will try that

Julie Johnson (View posts)
Posted: 19 Sep 2004 2:29AM GMT
Linda,
Is it legal, and if so, would you be interrested and willing to sell copies of the book? How much if so? I am a gr. gr. gr. gr. granddaughter to David and Lydia and would love to read the stories to my children. We are expecting our first daughter and I wanted to name her Lydia, I was hoping to find some stories about her grandmother with the same name.
Thanks,
Julie

Irena Heuer (View posts)
Posted: 19 Sep 2004 9:36AM GMT
Hi Julie

My 5xGrt grand father was Davids Brother I have a lot of info about David Reeder and Lydia Balls, Lydia came from Chediston Suffolk England and I only live about 10 Miles from
there .David Reeders Family is huge I have managed to trace the Family back to 1580 using the proper Parish records. if you want to contact me I would love to here from you. I have a lot I can tell you.

Irena

Posted: 19 Sep 2004 1:17PM GMT
Sorry. I sent the book to a lady in England that was a descendent of the original family.

I am not sure how the copyright laws work in the instance of a post-1900 personal publication.

Linda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic