Search for content in message boards

George Swearingen

George Swearingen

Posted: 30 Jun 2011 1:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Swearingen, Doughty
I am looking for any information on a George Swearingen (born abt.1874 I believe in IL.) In 1910 he lived in Willow Hill, Jasper county, IL. with his wife Marietta(Mary Etta)Doughty. Sons Ralph Hobart, Floyd Herman & Beryl Leroy. A 4th son(William Evert) was born in 1912. Mary Etta died sometime between 1912-1920 and the 3 youngest sons were sent to Crawford county, IL to live with George's sister Lucinda (Lucy) Swearingen, Fesler(born Jan.1862 in IL.) George listed his father & mother's birthplace as IL., but Lucy list her father in 4 out of 5 census as being born in Ohio. Once she list it as in IN. She lists her mother's birthplace 3 times in IN, once in Ohio and once in Kentucky. I am unsure if George and Lucy had any other brother or sisters or not. I don't know his parents names. Where did he go? Did he remarry & have any more children? I am also unsure of exactly when Mary Etta died and where she is buried.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Re: George Swearingen

Posted: 7 May 2012 7:41AM GMT
Surnames: Swearingen, McCrory
Are you related to Burrell Shull of Hidalgo? I am looking for George's parents--I think his mother, Salena (McCrory,Watson), is one of my greats and I have been trying to find her. She was married before and had one child from that marriage. I have her Swearingen children listed as Nancy, Ruth Ann, Harriet, and George D. I have George's birth year as 1870. I know they were living in Granville Twp in 1880 (NE corner of the county, north of Willow Hill. Salena is shown in the 1850 census as being born in Indiana. I haven't been able to find much on Daniel. There is a lot of information in the Robinson Library on another Daniel but I haven't been able to find the connection.

Posted: 7 May 2012 10:15PM GMT
Surnames: Swearingen/McCrory
I found Daniel Swearingen & Salina(McCrory, Watson, Swearingen) in 1860 census in IL, Crawford county, Twp 8 Range 14 with Voetilla Watson.

In the 1870 census they show a David Swearingen(I believe this is Daniel)& Selena, Nancy L, Ruth A, Harriet Swearingen and Voltila Watson.

I believe Daniel's parents were Benoni (1788-1856) & Ruth(1788-1858) Swearingen. He had a brother George (1824-1868.

Posted: 8 May 2012 5:42AM GMT
Surnames: Swearingen, McCrory, Watson
OK, Voltila Watson would have actually been Margaret Viola or Viola Margaret Watson, daughter of Salena and Emri Watson. She was my second great grandmother and the grandmother of Ola (Viola) Hunt of Rose Hill, if you are familiar with the area.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=31...

What I can't find are the burial sites of Salena and Daniel. I haven't been able to find very much about any of the Swearingens and am basically interested in the children. I did find Benoni and Ruth. Viola and her family are buried in Bellair Cemetery, not really very far from Granville Twp in Jasper County.

Thanks for your help. I hope this helps you as well.

Avice

Posted: 10 May 2012 3:47AM GMT
Thanks for the info and the link to Find-a-grave. I also have not been able to find where Daniel & Salena Swearingen are buried or when they died. I would like to find out more on their son George D. Swearingen(1870-1935) He was my husband's great grandfather.
I will contact you through Find-a-grave next time.
Thanks,
DShull

Posted: 18 Jul 2014 10:58PM GMT
I finally found a note about Salena. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=13...

This is an abandoned cemetery and several graves have washed off into the creek. I am still trying to get there. I didn't find anything about Daniel, even though this was under the Swearingen family line.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions