Search for content in message boards

Relationship calculator

Relationship calculator

Posted: 8 Dec 2009 8:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
It would be nice if you could be viewing a particular member on your family tree and you could see how that person is related to you, e.g. "John Smith is your 2nd cousin" or "Barbara Jones is your 5th cousin, 3 times removed".

In addition (or instead), you should be able to go to a separate page and calculate the relationship between any two members of your family tree.

Re: Relationship calculator

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 6:19AM GMT
This type of option is available on some software but is not available on this Member tree application. The Ancestry member tree application is not a real genealogy program but must be viewed as primarily a display program. If all the tools available through their software (Family Tree Maker) were available here, who would want to purchase FTM.

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 3:29PM GMT
Here is a free on-line stand-alone relationship calculator.

http://stevemorse.org/relation/calculator.html

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 6:08PM GMT
Yes, I'm sure there are a number of those. (I found one a while back that was even better than that one.) But they all require you to manually enter the information. Given that I'm already taking the time to build a family tree on Ancestry, it would be nice if they could use that information to automatically calculate the relationships.

Posted: 11 Dec 2009 8:14PM GMT
Are you building your tree on Ancestry manually or just merging? Merging can get you a mess of trouble. I would hope you are building your tree or trees manually rather than taking shortcuts which may or may not be accurate.

Posted: 12 Dec 2009 12:17AM GMT
If you're building a tree exclusively on this site you're in for greater disappointment than the absence of bells and whistles.

If you have a site that is so much better then the one I posted, please post the link to it.

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 4:27PM GMT
I agree - it would be a great help

Relationship to home person would be more logical

Really need a rel calc on here

The only way to achieve one - in my experience - is to download your whole ancestry tree via GEDCOM onto your PC .... load it into a Family Tree Software tool ..... and then use the rel calc

What a pain for such a simple tool - also a rel mapper would be a good cousin to the rel calc

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 4:30PM GMT
Please enlighten us to this great dissapointment

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 5:00PM GMT
A relationship calculator is *not* a simple tool.

Which is closer kin to you... your siblings or your children?

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 5:05PM GMT
Ancestry's online member tree does not have the options that a stand along software program has. With a stand alone program(or at least with my FTM program) if I enter the same person twice with exactly the same birthdate, my program will ask me if this is the same person and then if so, I can merge the two into one. The online member tree does not have that option. There are many more and that is just one. The relationship option is another. With my FTM program, I can plug in the two names and find the relationship. Ancestry's member tree online is more of a display program rather than a true genealogy program. I am sure Ancestry would never make the two just alike because that would cut into the sales of their software programs. This is not to say that it should not be used. I certainly use it and have 4 member trees online. However, I use FTM first and then post from that to my online tree. There are definitely advantages to using the online program. One is the option to invite others to join and add their data. I have invited 75 people to one of my online trees and much valuable data has been found through that option. My advice would be to use both but just realize that the online option has limits.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions