Search for content in message boards

Liberty Hare

Liberty Hare

Posted: 1 May 2013 1:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hare, Shippey
I am looking for information on Liberty Hare. According to copies of old bible pages he was born July 4, 1813. I have seen this on bible pages from two different bibles. My Dad's sister asked a cousin of their's where Liberty was born and she wrote Syracuse, New York. Liberty Hare married Esther Shippey May 31, 1836. This according to the above mentioned bible pages. The 1840 Federal census has them in Sullivan, Madison County, New York where Esther was from. My guess is that they were married in that area. According to more notes from my Dad's cousin Liberty and Esther came to Illinois circa 1846 following 6 of Esther's sibling who came a few yeas earlier. I cannot find them in the 1850 Federal census although their daughter Harriet was supposedly born in Lake County, Illinois in 1851 or 1852. He floats between Hancock County and McDonough County, Illinois from 1860 until 1880. His wife died November 1, 1881 in McDonough County, Illinois. I last find Liberty in the 1886 "city" directory in Plymouth, Hancock County, Illinois. I have looked at both counties for a death record to no avail. Any help finding Liberty's parents, or birth, marriage, death records greatly appreciated.

Re: Liberty Hare

Posted: 1 May 2013 10:18PM GMT
Findagrave has Libery Hare 1813-1898, burial in Hancock County:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=ha...;

Posted: 2 May 2013 8:36AM GMT
My Aunt put that on there. We don't have proof that he died in 1898.

Posted: 2 May 2013 11:50AM GMT
I'm a little confused on your response. Do you know for sure that he is buried in that cemetery? If so, the cemetery office should have records of his burial which should give you information. The memorial listed as it is indicates he is buried there to other researchers and that he died in that year. There are no bio notes indicating otherwise to anyone viewing the memorial.

If she is not sure he is buried in that cemetery, the better option there is to have listed him in cemetery unknown with an unknown date of death.

Or, are you just looking for some other proof such as a death certificate to get the exact month and day of his death in 1898?

Posted: 3 May 2013 4:24PM GMT
I am not 100% sure Liberty is buried in St. Mary's cemetery, St. Mary's, Hancock County, Illinois. St. Mary's is an unincorporated town near the Hancock County/McDonough County border. There is no gravestone in the cemetery for him and his wife unless it has sunk or something. I contacted the caretaker for the cemetery and was told the records were lost in a fire years ago. My aunt Marj and I got the date of 1898 from another aunt of mine. I have no idea where she got that from. I have not been able to find anything to corroborate it.

Liberty is my brick wall also because I can not find his parents and or siblings. All I know is that he had a sister (name unknown) who married a Clapsaddle. Also, I have never found proof as to the locations and dates of birth and marriage.

Posted: 3 May 2013 6:51PM GMT
I'm not seeing anything more on Liberty, but I may have found some information on a possible sister who married Clapsaddle.

1860 in Paw Paw, DeKalb Co, IL;
Frederick Clapsaddle, 33, b. NY
Marinda Clapsaddle, 24, b. Canada
Don Clapsaddle, 5, b. Ill
Byrondle Clapsaddle, 6 months, b. Ill
Mary Hare, 66, b. Mass

1870 in PawPaw, DeKalb Co, IL:
Fred Clapsaddle, 43, b. NY
Marinda, 34, born Canada
Dann, 15, b. Ill
Myron H, 10, B. Ill
Omer, 8, b. Ill
Harry B, 1, b. Ill
Mercy Hare, 75, b. Mass (note name was Mary in last census)

In 1880 they are in same location, but Mercy is no longer in household. (Fredrick Clapsaddle in index)

In familysearch records there is a death record for a Harry Byrd Clapsaddle b. c.1869, died 12/17/1941 Rockford, Winnebago, IL, which states parents of Fredrick Clapsaddle and Mirinda Hare. That site also shows a marriage license for Omer, son of Fred and Marinda Hare Clapsaddle.

This appears to be the findagrave memorial for Frederick & Marenda. (note spelling variation)

Interesting that in the same cemetery is a MARCY Hare, 1794-1877, which seems to fit the Mercy or Mary above.

Sorry I could not turn up anything on Liberty, but maybe something with this potential sister may enable you to find something while you are reviewing records to prove if it is a sister or not. Since Marenda was born in Canada, that adds another dimension to the search.

Posted: 4 May 2013 2:44AM GMT
Thank-you. You have given me a lot of help. This could be Liberty's sister as he named one of his daughters Marenda. I will look at this family further.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions