Search for content in message boards

Redvers Harris born 1888 (UK) lived in Toronto 1955

Redvers Harris born 1888 (UK) lived in Toronto 1955

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 9:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Trying to trace whether Redvers Harris born UK 1888, and emmigrated to Canada in 1911 had any children. His wife was Gladys Lilian Harris nee King (1895). It is know that they lived in Lillibet Road, Toronto, in 1955. Could anyone help as to where I could find any possible descendants.
Many thanks.

Re: Redvers Harris born 1888 (UK) lived in Toronto 1955

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 10:16PM GMT
Hello:

I found his obit or at least I think it is using the info you provided. It mentions his wife Gladys and one daughter Jean Herling. It doesn't say where he is buried, he died May 1, 1986. The funeral home was located in Mississauga maybe you could contact them and they can say what cemetery he was buried at. Let me see if I can find an obit for his wife Gladys. I've attached his obit.
Attachments:

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 10:46PM GMT
Thanks Donna, this well could be him. His profession was Engineering. Looks like he lived to a fine old age. The mention of a daughter is of great help.

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 10:48PM GMT
Edited: 1 Apr 2013 11:00PM GMT
Ok I found more, the daughter Jean was a twin according to her marriage announcement I've attached it for you to see. There is also mentioned of a Mrs. Roy Harris maybe another son. Maybe the two sons were deceased before the father and that's why they were not mentioned in his obit or maybe the daughter was only mentioned because he died in her home.

I also found info on a Maurice G. Harris which is the name of Jean's twin. I believe is Maurice and his family buried at the Peterborough, Ontario Cemetery. You can find this info at the OCFA at http://ocfa.islandnet.com/ocfa-search.php

HARRIS, Lloyd (name only) (s/o Maurice G. & Mary C.) Highland Park, Peterborough (Section A) Peterborough Otanabee KW-P-216
HARRIS, Maurice G. (h/o Mary C. Smith) Highland Park, Peterborough (Section A) Peterborough Otanabee KW-P-216
HARRIS, Paul (name only) (s/o Maurice G. & Mary C.) Highland Park, Peterborough (Section A) Peterborough Otanabee KW-P-216

Attachments:

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 11:38PM GMT
This is all fantastic information. Thank you so much for your help. Getting plenty of names to go and try and research, although not quite sure how to go about it for Canada.

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 3:13AM GMT
You might want to contact the funeral home where Redvers Harris service was at they can confirm where he was buried, that way you can check the Cemetey for other family members. The e-mail address is peelchapel@turnerporter.ca

I'm not sure if that Maurice is connected when I searched the paper I found another Maurice that was a Dr. There is one other paper on line I can seach to see if there is any obits for Glady and the children. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 11:31AM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2013 12:10PM GMT
Thanks for the email address, I have sent them a message. Hopefully, they will have the relevant information I am looking for. Fingers crossed.

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 2:31PM GMT
If you like to let me know what they say I can see if I can help you I can call the Cemetery for you to see who else is buried there with him. Since I live in Toronto and have access to some info I can help you here.

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 3:19PM GMT
Thank you, I shall let you know if I hear anything back. I am really hoping it is the correct Redvers.

Posted: 6 Apr 2013 8:29PM GMT
Edited: 6 Apr 2013 8:32PM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Herling
Unfortunately the funeral home has not replied to my email, so haven't been able to gather any information that way as yet. However, looking through the Canadian Voters lists, there is a good chance that Jean (nee Harris) & William Douglas Herling (who seems to prefer Douglas), had a daughter Wendy Herling. She is on the 1972 voters list, but not 1968, so possible birth date 1948 - 1951? I also located the son Roy Harris, living with his parents (Redvers & Gladys) in 1949, along with his wife Margaret. It is possible that they had a daughter Nancy - as the flower girl at the wedding of Jean was her niece Nancy. It would be great to trace these people. I am only on a 14 day trial period with Ancestry.ca and it expires tomorrow -aaaah!!!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions