Search for content in message boards

Riley Family in West Virginia

Riley Family in West Virginia

Posted: 20 Feb 2010 3:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information about my gggg-grandmother, Jane Riley. Her permission slip to marry (William Goldsby) was signed by her brother, George Riley in Greenbrier, WV in 1815. George also signed the marriage bond. Would love hearing from any Riley family with connections to WV and VA. Thank you.

Re: Riley Family in West Virginia

Posted: 20 Feb 2010 10:40PM GMT
Surnames: Riley, Evans, Davidsons,
According to son Thomas Riley in his petition for pension for his mother, the John and Nancy Evans Riley family lived at English Ferry on the New River of VA. I understand that is now in W VA. I have not found siblings or parents for John, but his REV WAR papers indicate he was born in 1761 in Warwickshire England. By around 1810 the Riley and Evans families had moved to the Overton/Fentress Co TN area--possibly thinking they were in KY since borders had not been settled. There were 3 sons--William, Thomas, and John Floyd. I suspect the name William for the eldest is significant. My line is most likely through William and wife Mary.

Posted: 22 Feb 2010 4:00PM GMT
Do you know if William and Mary had a daughter named Mary or Polly that would have been born around 1797?

Jan Flowers

Posted: 22 Feb 2010 4:42PM GMT
As best I can tell, William and Mary themselves were born about that time. There is an infant daughter on the 1820 Overton Co TN census who I believe is my Greatgrandmother Sarah Sallie Riley Grooms who was born about 1820.There was a daughter Mary born about 1834.

Posted: 22 Feb 2010 4:57PM GMT
I must have mis-read the dates.
The Mary Ann (Polly)Riley that I am looking for was married in 1818 in Harrison County, Indiana to a Allen Bybee. Have not been able to learn who her parents were.

Jan Flowers

Posted: 22 Feb 2010 6:09PM GMT
I would be interested in finding out where you got the info on John Riley's Revolutionary records or a copy if available. I have information on the John Riley from English Ferry including his Revolutionary Muster Role. Is there any other indication he came from England as all the eveidence I have had to this point suggests he was from Virginia.

Posted: 22 Feb 2010 6:41PM GMT
Surnames: Riley
Heritage Quest has a list of Rev.War pensioners. Maybe your John Riley is there. Most states have this site free thru your libraries. All it requires to access it online is a library card. Check this out.

Posted: 22 Feb 2010 10:33PM GMT
HERITAGE QUEST has digital copies of John Riley's REV WAR documents under the PA Cont Line. Since we knew his wife was Nancy Evans, it includes her pension petition and that of their son Thomas as well. I transcribed what I could make out for our Riley Genealogical Library. It was great reading. I suspect old John was an educated man by the use of words in his testimony about the battles, his injuries, etc. Bet he had them hanging on every word! He said he was born in Warwickshire England in 1761. He and Nancy were apparently married by 1800 in VA although the widow's petition implies it was earlier. Since her petition was denied once, they may have stretched the dates somewhat to qualify. But regardless, other than John, they were illiterate and most people of that era couldn't remember dates etc very well. Significance would only have made sons William and Thomas older than most researchers indicate.

Posted: 22 Feb 2010 11:40PM GMT
Are you referring to the Riley Genealogical Library on MyFamily.com? I am a member also. I can not seem to get to Heritage Quest from my computer any longer. I used to have access thru my College Library on my laptop as a VPin client but that doesn't seem to work any longer so I am going to make a trip to the library.

The reason for my interest is the Riley's from the English Ferry area are related to me. I have quite a bit of documentation that has lead me to that conclusion. Also, the Riley's from that area, in particular my ggggg-grandfather Patrick Riley married Alice English. Patrick is thought to be the brother of John Riley. However the Riley's from that area did not come directly from England. Patrick and John were born in Virginia and an ancestor is supposed to have come from England.

Posted: 23 Feb 2010 10:25PM GMT
Your library should give you access to Heritage Quest. It is easier to access the REV WAR documents for our Fentress co TN John Riley than waiting for documents from Washington DC or DAR. In his own words and possibly his own handwriting, the document states he was born in Warwickshire England in 1761. It is his son Thomas' deposition for his mother's pension request that states they lived at English Ferry on the James River. Both Thomas and his brother William were born in VA. I understand the area is now W VA. Have you traced your family into the Overton/Fentress Co TN areas by 1810 or so? There is a James Riley in nearby Pickett Co TN who also served in REV WAR and I would like to know if they were related or not. Love to hear from you. meljr09@msn.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions