Search for content in message boards

Brinson Community Cemetary-Verona

Brinson Community Cemetary-Verona

Posted: 13 Sep 2009 11:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brinson
Found a stone marker on the corner of Verona UMC property. The stone reads as follows:
"Brinson Community Cemetary
This plot is dedicated to the
Memory of
John W.and Martha M. Brinson
Open to all white people of
this community under such
regulations as trustees
may prescribe."
One older member of church thinks there may have been some people, maybe two or three, buried there. This stone is near corner of plot in brush, just off Town Point Road. Does anyone have any information?

Re: Brinson Community Cemetary-Verona

Posted: 28 Jul 2013 12:20AM GMT
I believe that that marker was removed from the UMC church property and carried across the road and dumped in the wooded corner of Mark Fishers old barn lot (Goines own it now) due to the perceived incendiary language referring to 'White folk's'...please note that there is a cemetery just across H17 that is designated for Black Folks, go figure ? Most of the old folks are gone now so that's about all I know...I lived there in the 70's.

Posted: 28 Jul 2013 12:45AM GMT
BTW...The Brinson's died in the 1930's and were moved to Monford Point National Cemetery as part of the graves relocation upon Camp Lejeune's taking of the, now, base property...Still finding graves to this date,

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 7:29AM GMT
Apparently you are a local. My wife was raised in Verona and we still live there. If you are a local, contact me directly at tcrayne@ec.rr.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic