Search for content in message boards

Ellis Island look up .

Ellis Island look up .

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 9:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Verbanek , Basar, Mandel , Sladic
I'm trying to find my Grandparent's on both side when they came over to Ellis Island from Crotia ,Austria-Hungary , & Mirna ,Slovenia Austria-Hungary ( Yugoslavia) My Great Grandfather who came from Metika , Ozalj(Crotia) was Nicolas - Takole Verbanek married to Agnes Basar . My Great Grandfather who came from Mirna, Slovenia was Kristian J Mandel who married Josephine Sladic . They supposably came over in Jan. 1905 . If anyone could help me find out when they came over I would appreicate it very much . Thank you .
God Bless !
fifthlink5

Re: VERBANEK, BASAR, SLADIC, MANDEL

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 12:27PM GMT
I am assuming you are new at this so if I can offer some suggestions to help you with your search....

First of all the country is Croatia not Crotia

The names are confusing what do you mean by Nicolas Takole Verbanek ? What is Takole? Is this supposed to be a family name or a middle name?

FYI Nicolas would be Nikola, Niko or Miko in Croatian. Josephine would be Josipa. Kristian may be Bozidar or Bozo, the Z in this name has the sound like the S in the word treasure

Also using terms like Ellis Island lookup will get you very few responses, most people simply will bypass messages like this. Surnames should be included in the subject line and wherever they appear in all CAPS, to highlight them

The name may have been spelled VRBANEK (in Croatian the R serves the function of a vowel when used between 2 consonants) and there is a listing for the following Port of New York arrival

Name: Miko Vrbanek
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Port of Departure: Southampton
Ethnicity: Croatian
Ship Name: Philadelphia
Destination to sister living at Cleveland, Ohio
Former residence Vivodina

There is also anothe Miko arriving at the Port of Baltimore (New York was not the only port of entry... also Ellis Island was the processing station for the port of NY from 1892 to 1924)

Name: Miko Vrbanek
Arrival Date: May 1903
Estimated birth year: abt 1873
Race: Croatian
Destination Connelsville PA
Former residence Vivodina

I don't know of a place called Metika but just over the border in Slovenia is Metlika, not far from Vivodina. I took my Heritage and History tour group to Vivodina this past Oct 2006 and have photos of the church and the lovely countryside. If this is your Nicolas let me know and I can email you the manifest and photos of Vivodina.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of more help at:
rjerin26@yahoo.com

Robert Jerin
Croatian Heritage Museum
Cleveland Ohio

Re: SLADIC, MANDEL, VRBANEK, BASAR

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 12:40PM GMT
Name: Josefa Sladic
Estimated birth year: abt 1883
Port of Departure: Bremen
race:Slovenian