Search for content in message boards

Frances M. Taylor resident of the Victor Home for Women

Frances M. Taylor resident of the Victor Home for Women

Posted: 26 Apr 2013 3:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Taylor
Looking for any information on a Frances M. Taylor, b. 1881, a resident of the
Victor Home for Women on Jarvis Street in 1911. She gave birth to a daughter in the same year, my grandmother born Mae Taylor and left her at the home to be given for adoption. My grandmother was adopted and many years later contacted by a woman from the Victor Home who told her that the few items her birth mother (Frances) left her were apparently stolen.

It looks like Frances left Canada sometime after 1911 for the U.S. and resided for a time in Memphis,
Tennessee in 1914. Any info on this family would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Frances M. Taylor resident of the Victor Home for Women

Posted: 26 Apr 2013 6:30PM GMT
In the 1911 census, I find a Frances Taylor, aged 28, living in the home of Emma Telford at 233 Sherbourne Street, Toronto, along with several other lodgers. She is noted as being born in England, immigrated 1909, a dressmaker by trade.

What was your grandmother's birth date? Do you have a copy of her birth certificate?

Posted: 27 Apr 2013 4:59PM GMT
Thanks Eileen for your help!
I don't think she's our Frances however.
We know for sure that she lived at the Victor Home and I've found her in the 1911 census living there at 266 Jarvis as a lodger. My grandmother was born in March of 1911. On the census form it says she was born in England in July of 1881 and that she immigrated in 1905.
The only other snippet of information was a letter and a forwarding address of
Peabody Avenue, Memphis, Tennessee, and from that I was able to find her in a 1914 Memphis directory. What next? We're stumped.

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 6:13PM GMT
I think they are the same person. I don't know when the census taker visited the Victor Home, but the one I sent you was not enumerated until June 1911. While the birth dates are a bit off, both came from England around the same time, of the same age, and both are dressmakers.

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 11:50PM GMT
Edited: 3 Aug 2013 10:50PM GMT
I wonder if Frances had been married when she was at the Victor Home? The reason why I'm asking is she would have been 30 years old you don't see too many women in the home for unwed mothers at that age they tend to be younger in their teens. If she was married and her husband left her she might go there because she couldn't care for the child. Did you find a border crossing for her for 1905 it might provide a little more info on why she was coming to Canada and if someone else was with her. I'm just wondering if Taylor might not be a maiden name.

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 12:29PM GMT
Interesting thought. I also noticed that it was May herself who registered the birth in the mid 1950s. If she was born in a home for unwed mothers, it would have been up to the matron to register the birth, so am wondering if the birth date is right, as I find a female Taylor born in the same time frame, also to single mothers, with an address on Cecil Street (Montgomery Home).

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 12:58PM GMT
If your grandmother was born in March 1911, she should appear with her mother in the 1911 census, as she would have only have been a month old (census date was June 1st). There are other babies in the household of the same age.

I have found only a couple of registrations for births of children to the other women who were living with Frances at the time, so perhaps the home did not register the births. One of the women was a nurse and had the baby at St. Michael's Hospital, and that birth was registered.

Posted: 30 Apr 2013 12:58PM GMT
If your grandmother was born in March 1911, she should appear with her mother in the 1911 census, as she would have only have been a month old (census date was June 1st). There are other babies in the household of the same age.

I have found only a couple of registrations for births of children to the other women who were living with Frances at the time, so perhaps the home did not register the births. One of the women was a nurse and had the baby at St. Michael's Hospital, and that birth was registered.

Posted: 1 May 2013 3:35AM GMT
Thanks Donna!
Yes I've looked for border crossing info but can't narrow anything down conclusively to my Frances. Anyone who seemed to fit was travelling alone so wasn't too helpful.

The rumour was that the father of the child was married and so she was quietly shipped off to Canada, apparently from the U.S. to have the baby. Not sure if the story is completely accurate though.

The child, May, was adopted shortly after birth by Fred and Lydia Mulholland and the three of them show on the 1911 North Dumfries/Waterloo County census. Probably why May doesn't show up at the Victor House in Toronto.

Posted: 1 May 2013 3:41AM GMT
Pretty sure May's birthdate is correct. The Matron of the Victor Home actually visited her in the 50's and told her that her mother's things had been stolen. At the same time she helped her to obtain her birth certificate. By then she was married with children of her own.

To make all matters worse, her adoptive mother, Lydiann, died when May was
just 5 years old and she went to live with her grandmother. Anything that would have been known about the original adoption was lost when she died.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions