Search for content in message boards

William "Grancer" Short Jr. (1766-1858)

William "Grancer" Short Jr. (1766-1858)

Keith Short (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Short
I am trying to find out who the parents of my great great great grandfather William "Grancer " Short Jr. were. William was born in 1766 in Burke County, North Carolina. I suspect that his parents may have come from or were born in Surry County, Virginia before they moved to Burke County, North Carolina. William moved to Wise County, Virginia during the early 1800's and was first married to Elizabeth Bolling and then to Mary Polly Birchfield. William is buried at Benjamin Bolling Cemetery in Wise County,Virginia. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith

Re: William "Grancer" Short Jr. (1766-1858)

Posted: 31 Jan 2005 9:13PM GMT
Edited: 22 Aug 2005 3:34PM GMT
Surnames: William "Grancer" Short
HAVE YOU FOUND HIS PARENTS YET????
If so please share with me, I have been looking a long time for this information.

This man is very elusive.

He is my husband's great great great grandfather.

Thanks,

Kathy

Posted: 3 Mar 2009 11:22PM GMT
Today I was reviewing my Short ancestors and noted that several Family Trees on Ancestry list William Short and Sarah Baugh as Wm. Grancer Short's parents. I do not believe that this is true however. I use the reference of Josephine Short Lynch's book "Shorts an Early Virginia Family". She lists a William Short as the son of Wm and Sarah and says that he "removed to Mecklenburg County Va in 1801" (page 72). He left no heirs according to Josephine. Our Short family does however believe that this William is our ancestor. But I think that there is a high probability that William Grancer is from the Brunswick County Virginia clan.

Posted: 28 Mar 2009 2:59AM GMT
Hi,

Do you have contact with (or are you) a male SHORT descended from your William "Grancer" SHORT?

The SHORT DNA project has two members claiming descent from William SHORT who died in 1659 in Surry Co., VA. Those are S-1 and S-44 on the page:
http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/short/results

DNA shows these two persons are not related, and do not share a common ancestor.

Only with additional testing to see who they match (or don't match) will we be able to determine whether S-1 or S-44 is the one biologically descended from William SHORT of Surry Co., VA.

Even if your William "Grancer" SHORT is not (as you believe) from William SHORT of Surry County, DNA could show what line he is from, as there are a number of lines in the
project that have VA origins.

Rick Saunders
SHORT DNA Group Coordinator

Posted: 28 Mar 2009 12:26PM GMT
Hello,
I do not claim to come from William "Grancer" Short. I guess my question is are these people sure that he is the son of William Short and Sarah Baugh. They could be absolutely correct, I really don't know. I know my gggg grandfather William Short was from the very same area of Virginia; he died in 1821 and was born about 1755. He left the Brunswick County, Va area (the home of many Virginia Shorts) and moved to Mecklenburg Co. VA in 1801 and from there he moved into Granville Co. NC. He was a man of means and some wealth.

I hope this makes some sense. The bottom line is that my Short family doesn't know exactly who our William's parents were.

Posted: 28 Mar 2009 1:53PM GMT
O.K., I understand now. There are 10 different lines in the SHORT DNA project that have VA origins/connections. If you know someone from your line who might test and you do match one of those, it could narrow down which lines to examine for your William's parents.

Even if you don't know of someone who could test, please consider adding information on your line to:
http://www.worldfamilies.net/forum/?topic=509
The information will be added to the Patriarch's Page:
http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/short/pats
and allow others interested in your line to see that no one to date descended from it has tested.

Rick Saunders
SHORT DNA Group Coordinator

Posted: 22 Aug 2012 3:08PM GMT
i also have came to stop on the question of William's parents.
My line comes from William's and Mary's son Daniel Henry Short. It has been so interesting to find so many people who you never knew you were related to. If you happen to learn of this info please let me know

Thank you
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions